PDA

View Full Version : Getting asian or other non-English fonts...

White Raven
03-16-2004, 10:36 PM
I'm wondering how I can get font's that aren't supported by my browser and other programs (MSN messenger, etc...), to show the real fonts and not those darned squares?

Dr Unne
03-16-2004, 11:31 PM
Check Windows Update, a long time ago it used to let you download foreign language support. If not there, search Windows' site for it. Last time I needed to type something in Windows in Japanese, I had Windows 98. *shudder* I don't know how it's changed since then.

crono_logical
03-17-2004, 05:17 AM
If you're using Win2k, you need Office XP (maybe 2000 is recent enough, not sure) installed, then get the language packs for that off the MS website - they'll also add support in the OS for such languages. In WinXP, just stick in your installation medium, then in Regional and Language options in Control Panel, enable East Asian language support, and the files gets installed.

Peegee
03-24-2004, 12:00 PM
I don't have Office installed, nor do I have multilingual support for XP as far as I know (which would explain why I complained about Guu's chess pieces custom title weeks ago).

I just checked ICQ -- it suports chinese text. This is what I did:

-open IE (gasp)
-right click on some non-link area
-choose encoding
-choose language
-insert Windows CD
-if it asks, replace the drive letter so windows knows where to copy the files from
-viola

Endless
03-24-2004, 05:53 PM
If you just need them to display them (and not type them), going to a Chinese/Thai/Japanese/WhateverCountry site with IE should trigger it to asking you if you want to get the language pack needed to display it. At least that's how it always worked for me.