PDA

View Full Version : Your Fave Techno Song/Artist!

Thunday Man
03-16-2004, 10:40 PM
So how about it? Im looking to compile an awsome techno cd for a party and for a long road trip. So please, post up your fave song/artists!

And if you dont like techno, just dont post. I dont want to hear it.

Reason
03-16-2004, 11:26 PM
I think I like at the most three techno song-things. I'm not even sure what goes as techno/trance/dance, but whatever.
Gigi D'Agostino - Un Giorno Credi is sort of pretty. :)

Mr. Graves
03-17-2004, 12:21 AM
The best piece I've heard would have to be "Everything Must Go" by The Chemical Brothers. It was even featured on the first Gran Turismo game.

About thesecond best techno track I've heard was a remix of "Better Off Alone" by Alice Deejay.

jrgen
03-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Thunder God Cid
Im looking to compile an awsome techno cd
Mission Impossible.
The closest thing to techno I can stand is some EBM.

black orb
03-18-2004, 01:10 AM
>>> Some video game soundtracks have very good techno music..

eestlinc
03-18-2004, 05:19 AM
i don't think what you mean by techno applies to what I'm thinking of, but some good groups:

Boards of Canada
Alpha
Thievery Corporation
Groove Armada
zero7

Radiohead has good electronic stuff too

Breine
03-18-2004, 03:44 PM
Basement Jaxx and The Chemical Bros. are cool... :D

m4tt
03-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Fatboy Slim and Daft Punk are my faves.

Breine
03-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Damn! I totally forgot Fatboy Slim and Daft Punk (Daft Punk are actually one of my favorite bands! Silly me for forgetting...) Thank you Gau for making me remember :)

Meow
03-18-2004, 06:25 PM
Squarepusher writes some seriously progressive and heady electronica. His stuff is complicated, quirky, and unbelievably good. It isn't for those looking for the hedonistic joys of "bass-hat-bass-hat-snareroll" <i>techno</i>, but lord is it good music.

DJ Koala does some quality dub work.

If you're looking for party stuff, Kid 606 has some nice, straightforward deep house tracks.

There are always the old standbys, too: Aphex Twin, Prodigy, etc. But while i like Prodigy, they're just too cliche for me to fairly recommend on anyone's electronica mixes.

<b>EDIT:</b> Grammar.

jrgen
03-18-2004, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't call prodigy techno.

Skogs
03-18-2004, 07:46 PM
St Germain, Chemical Brothers, DJ Shadow, U.N.K.L.E. and Lamb are all good. Dunno if they're all strictly 'techno', but they're definately electronic music.

jrgen
03-18-2004, 08:24 PM
You must not call electronic music "Techno".
There is a lot of good electronic music out there.
But there is not a lot of good Techno out there.

Meow
03-18-2004, 08:57 PM
"Techno" is too vague a term to be so worried about the specifics. True, it does generally refer to fully electronic music composed for the club scene, but electronic music is so broad and multi-faceted anymore that almost anything decently rhythmic made with a keyboard will eventually hit the dance circuit. That includes Prodigy (though not so much today, since i'm pretty sure they're both cliched and old hat in the mainstream dance scene), which only seems out of place because their general popularity whittled away the music's club persona. That's been the case with a few other electronic groups that have hit it big, including the Chemical Brothers, Moby, Crystal Method - you get the picture. They're all underground dance club fare whose underground clout and association disappeared in the eyes of mainstream popularity. Accordingly, most people don't associate groups like those with "techno," a term popularly and arbitrarily left behind with the more oldschool, "hardcore" styles. "Techno" still evokes the trance, house, or psychadelia of the 80's and 90's raver culture, and has taken an accordingly silly, dated and even slightly insulting connotation in mainstream usage. But really, the term's just a catchall.

Prodigy is techno, under electronica. Since such a composition-focused style evolves through genres and sub-genres and names so quickly, i don't know if there's an easy way to define their work any more acceptably than that. But they'd not be out of place in a club, and that seems as definitive as one can get for the "techno" label.