PDA

View Full Version : Misheard song lyrics

Xander
03-17-2004, 12:37 AM
These are always funny. ^_^ Which song lyrics have you misheard?

My favourite one is how I always think that the Red Hot Chili Peppers sing "Fly away on my cellphone" instead of zephyr. And there's a song out right now called "Take me to the clouds above" and I swear they are saying "take me to the powerbird".

But I'm sure you have some better ones.

Kirobaito
03-17-2004, 12:41 AM
I mishear song lyrics all the time. I can't understand a single word of that jibberish that young people are listening to nowadays. I can't understand the words of any music except for country. :) Because that's REAL music. Because they don't make up words, and talk about real subjects, they are easy to understand, thus I don't.

But I can't think of anything specific.

DocFrance
03-17-2004, 01:33 AM
Well, everyone knows that Iron Butterfly's "Inna Godda Da Vida" is really supposed to be "In the Garden of Eden."

Here's a good list - www.kissthisguy.com

The title of that website comes from "Purple Haze" by The Jimi Hendrix Experience - a lot of people though when he sang "Excuse me while I kiss the sky," he was saying "Excuse me while I kiss this guy."

Arthurdent_78
03-17-2004, 03:36 AM
I misheard Filter's Airplane, the line that says "awake on my airplane", I thought was "awake my mind, I'm free". Oops:rolleyes2

Kirobaito
03-17-2004, 03:43 AM
Oh, I got one.

In Michael Bolton's "When a Man Loves a Woman", I mistook it as "It's a Man as a Woman."

Thunday Man
03-17-2004, 03:52 AM
Dont Stay by Linkin Park

"Some times i just feel like SCREAMING at myself!"

"Some times i just feel like poopING on myself"

Edit by D: Language...:p

EDIT: XD =p

DocFrance
03-17-2004, 05:58 AM
Anything by Pearl Jam is fair game, since Eddie Vedder sings like his mouth is full of marbles.

crono_logical
03-17-2004, 06:01 AM
I mishear engrish in japanese songs often, especially when pronounced really badly, in some cases I don't realise it's meant to be english until later :p

Meow
03-17-2004, 06:20 AM
take my picture
smash my picture

Ariel
03-17-2004, 06:50 AM
"I've got my cheap wine and a three legged goat!"

...I like the three legged goat better than the three day growth. =|

And that song's by Cold Chisel. *nodnod*

Skogs
03-17-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by DocFrance
Anything by Pearl Jam is fair game, since Eddie Vedder sings like his mouth is full of marbles.

Glorified version of a pelican... :D

You won't hear it ANY other way now. Muahahahahah.... ahem.

TheAbominatrix
03-17-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by DocFrance
The title of that website comes from "Purple Haze" by The Jimi Hendrix Experience - a lot of people though when he sang "Excuse me while I kiss the sky," he was saying "Excuse me while I kiss this guy."

It's kiss the sky. I just checked the lyrics on the original vinyl. Not to mention that 'kiss this guy' makes no sense.

DocFrance
03-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Yeah. That's what I just said.

Zell's Fists of Fury
03-17-2004, 03:06 PM
Ashley just misread the misheard.
*ba-dum psssssh*

Misfit
03-17-2004, 03:08 PM
"The Rockafeller Skank" - Fatboy Slim
"...dootdoot... Funk Soul Brother"
I had no idea what they were saying... first I thought they were saying "*cough* your brother" ... then "funks yo' brother" O_o
Actually... I didn't even know who sang it. xD
BUT THEN I FOUND THE LYRICS THANKS TO SHOYKU OMG COOL! :D Now I know what they say. :D!

There's more, that's just the only recent one that I can think of. =x

TheAbominatrix
03-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Yes I did. I'm so tired.

Bernhard
03-17-2004, 04:03 PM
When Pelle of The Hives sings "outsmarted" in the same-titled song, it sounds exactly like he's singing "I farted".

Mr. Graves
03-17-2004, 08:05 PM
Dunno if it's appropriate or not but.....

This is some old song from the late 70s-early 80s.

3 singers:"STROKE ME..... STROKE ME!"

People yelling in that background: "stroke....stroke...stroke...."

I could swear that's how the song goes.

Lindy
03-17-2004, 08:50 PM
"Swing Swing from the table top, my heart is crushed by a former love"

The All-American Rejects - Swing Swing

Clear problem one sees, no wonder I got funny looks when I sang it while walking down the street.

DocFrance
03-17-2004, 10:01 PM
"The ants are my friends, they're blowing in the wind, the ants are blowing in the wind." --Bob Dylan

edgar2001
03-18-2004, 01:41 AM
How about this one: In CCR's "Bad Moon Risin'" The line "There's a bad moon on the rise" sounds like "There's a bathroom on the right."

DocFrance
03-18-2004, 03:04 AM
Yeah, that's a classic one.

Big D
03-18-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Misfit
"The Rockafeller Skank" - Fatboy Slim
"...dootdoot... Funk Soul Brother"
I had no idea what they were saying... first I thought they were saying "*cough* your brother" ... then "funks yo' brother" O_o
Actually... I didn't even know who sang it. xD
BUT THEN I FOUND THE LYRICS THANKS TO SHOYKU OMG COOL! :D Now I know what they say. :D!

There's more, that's just the only recent one that I can think of. =x This is the first time I've seen the real lyrics to that song. I could never figure out what it was, it sounded like "the funk's all rubber".

The Beatles' Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds caused confusion for some people, too. This isn't my experience, but occasionally the line "the girl with kaleidoscope eyes" gets mis-heard as "the girl with colitis goes by".

And also, the Neil Sedaka song Oh Carol sounds a lot like "oh Harold" to me.

On a Final Fantasy-themed note, the dodgy English of Eyes on Me is always a little preplexing at first, so my mind tended to hear it in a way that actually made sense.

Actual lyric: "If frown is shown then, you'll know that you are not dreaming"

My lyric: "Just promise you'll remember, you'll know that you are not dreaming"

Actual lyric: "How can I let you know, I'm more than the dress and the voice? Just reach me out then...."

My lyric: "How can I let you know, I'm more than the dress and the voice? Just reach beyond them..."

I like the symbolism of that last one, "reaching beyond" the surface to the person inside... although reaching beyond someone's dress is a somewhat crude image. I had serious concerns about that song till I saw the actual lyrics.

DocFrance
03-18-2004, 04:20 PM
In Steve Miller Band's "Fly Like an Eagle," alot of people think "Shoe the children with no shoes on their feet" is instead "Shoot the children..."

Rage
03-20-2004, 04:43 PM
"Dreams of war, dreams of lies, dreams of dragons fire, and a baked apple pie!"

I still don't know what the real words for that part is.

Female Ryuichi
03-20-2004, 04:49 PM
"Hit me with your rhythm stick"

"Hit me with your ribbon stick"

Thunday Man
03-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Lindz
"Swing Swing from the table top, my heart is crushed by a former love"

The All-American Rejects - Swing Swing

Clear problem one sees, no wonder I got funny looks when I sang it while walking down the street.

Until i was in your boat lol. I just had to go look it up.

"Swing, Swing, Swing from the tangles of
My heart is crushed by a former love"

Citizen Bleys
03-20-2004, 09:07 PM
I still swear that there's a part in the Red Hot Chili Peppers song "Scar Tissue" that goes "With bourbon, sh*t is a lovely view"

That would take a lot of bourbon.

Lindy
03-20-2004, 09:33 PM
"Daddy's not sleeping 'cause mary's in india now"

Oh dear, should be Danny, and the rest of the song makes no sense with Daddy.

Xander
03-21-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Lindz
"Daddy's not sleeping 'cause mary's in india now"

Oh dear, should be Danny, and the rest of the song makes no sense with Daddy.

xD!

I forgot that one. Aww, I thought it too and the whole song even managed to make sense to me, still. Well it should have been daddy. We rock. *nod*

Shlup
03-21-2004, 01:41 AM
When I was a kid Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was all about mashed potatos.

muchacho
03-23-2004, 03:07 AM
in one of the songs in the toxcity album i coulda swore he said "the tape worms tell me to do it"

Lindy
03-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by muchacho
in one of the songs in the toxcity album i coulda swore he said "the tape worms tell me to do it"

Umn, I'm pretty sure it does actually.

It's "Needles, and the line is "My tape worm tells me what to do".

muchacho
03-24-2004, 03:50 AM
ooooh ok so its not just me :D

TasteyPies
03-24-2004, 03:58 AM
the blue song, however it went

I am blue I am blue obindu obin die

I am Gay I am Gay im in need of a guy

Xander
04-08-2004, 01:54 PM
This thread isn't too old so, here's a new one I just found xD

From Ok Go's Bye Bye Baby.

I thought it was:

"So my pants have left me in search of careers and richer soils"

But it was actually

"So my pets have left me in search of careers and richer soils"

xD

Polaris
04-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Likin Park - Numb "Holding too tiglhy" and I thought that was "only to excite me"

Celine Dion - In his touch I tought that was "'Cause when a man loves a woman it's hard/in his touch" and it's "'Cause when a man loves a woman it's all/ in his touch"

Evanescence - Tourniquet "My wounds cry for the pray" , but it was "My wounds cry for the grave".

I think that's all for now!

-N-
04-09-2004, 02:15 AM
Radiohead in "Exit Music (For a Film)"

At the end, when they say "We hope that you choke", I always thought it was "We want what you took". But Thom's voice sounds really ambiguous all the time anyways.

Ashi
04-09-2004, 08:26 PM
A song by system of a down. I'm pretty sure I read the "misheard" lyrics somewhere, but I dunno.
What I heard: "Grandma should wear alittle make up"
Real stuff: "Grab a brush and some make up"

or something like that.

Doc Sark
04-29-2004, 01:14 AM
Mid 90's eurodance song by Gala, had half of england going, "you what?"

"My lovers got no money, he's got his trumbelleese"

I think it was meant to be strong beliefs. And what was the hell was Snow going on about in Informer. Its my local paper but I don't think that is what he was talking about.

Mr. Graves
04-29-2004, 04:19 AM

The song is "Stroke Me" by Billy Squire. Found this out a couple of weeks ago.

Freya Coral
05-01-2004, 06:26 AM

That song is "The Stroke" (not "Stroke Me" :radred: ) by Billy Squier. Yes, those are the actual words, believe it or not. ;)

There's one song where I've always heard "Blinded by the light/wrapped up like a douche/another rumor in the night." I forget who the band is though.

"Shame"-Stabbing Westward
Actual lyrics: How can I exist without you?
What I heard the 1st time I heard it: How can I have sex without you? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lord Xehanort
05-02-2004, 07:52 PM
"Milkshake"- Kelis

Actual Lyrics- 'My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard'

What I Heard the 1st Time I Listened- 'My milkshake brings all the balls to the yard'

Essentially, there's no real difference.

*dances back to cell singing 'Milkshake'*

Xander
05-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Hehe, in Feeder's "Feel it again" it sounds like:

"Xander, why does it always rain?" but I think it's December. xD Yay a Xander song :)

Fuzakeru
05-09-2004, 02:25 PM
What everyone in American heard - "Blinded by the Light - Wrapped up like a 'douche' - Another runner in the night"
What the band was saying - "Blinded by the Light - Wrapped up like a 'duece' - Another runner in the night"