PDA

View Full Version : boy or girl

EternalBahamut
03-17-2004, 10:22 PM
Do you consider Vivi male or female? I consider him a boy but then when Quina and Vivi get married, which is the male and which is the female (and yes this is not a thread about gay rights).

Bahamut2000X
03-17-2004, 10:29 PM
I always considered Vivi a guy. Vivi is a guy's name too right? Besides he just acts boyish, and before the festival of the hunt he doesn't seem to be opposed to Zidane's idea that if Vivi wins, that Zidane will hook him up on a date with Dagger.

DocFrance
03-17-2004, 10:50 PM
Considering the male bonding scene, I'm pretty sure Vivi is male.

TheAbominatrix
03-18-2004, 12:43 AM
A guy. Even without those scenes mentioned above, he seemed to just have a make quality to him.

Del Murder
03-18-2004, 01:14 AM
Boy. The marriage scene was likely for comedic purposes, much like my marriage to eestlinc.

DocFrance
03-18-2004, 03:09 AM
Especially considering that he was "married" to Quina, who IS sexually ambiguous.

Breine
03-18-2004, 03:48 PM
... And he IS a boy... I know that as a fact.

Originally posted by Bahamut2000X
Vivi is a guy's name too right?

Actually Vivi is a girl's name in Denmark :D

Sefie1999AD
03-18-2004, 04:16 PM
I'm sure Vivi is referred to as "he" in the game. Besides, Zidane keeps telling him to go hit on girls.

Edit - I added some quotes from the game. *POSSIBLE SPOILERS!*

ZIDANE (after talking with Vivi in the Evil Forest): "Geez... He [Vivi] was pretty down... Maybe I shouldn't have made that promise. I don't even know if I'll be able to find her [Garnet]..."

STEINER: "It may be difficult with just the two of us. We should seek Master Vivi's help as well."
ZIDANE: "Why are you calling him 'Master'?"
STEINER: "You fool. That black mage has unimaginable powers... I don't want to get him involved, but alas, it can't be helped. We need Master Vivi's powers to rescue the princess."

Xander
03-18-2004, 06:49 PM
I could never imagine Vivi being a girl. Nope, I think he's definately a guy, and yes as DocFrance says, I think the male bonding scene proves that and I'm sure they call him a guy at many other points. When they get married, Vivi is the guy and Quina is the guy-girl-both thing :p Yay for alternative marriages xD

SuperPac
03-21-2004, 12:32 AM
There is armor (such as the tiara) that only girls can wear, and Vivi can't wear it. Quina can... but that's a completely different story.

Cloudane
03-21-2004, 01:39 AM
His name is Master Vivi Orniter, and is referred to as 'Master Vivi' quite a few times.

I don't know about the US, but on the other side of the pond, any male over 18 can be referred to as 'Mister' and any male under 18 (when speaking formally) as 'Master'.

Apart from that, I lost count of the number of times Vivi was referred to as a 'he' and given chick advice from Zidane :)

As for Quina, I always saw it as a female. It looks female, and sounds female from the "Queen"-a bit.

Big D
03-21-2004, 03:47 AM
Vivi's male, Quina's neither distinctly male nor female. That's about all there is to it, really.

However, there are no female Black Mages at all in the game, so genderic distinctions are kind of a strange notion.

But Vivi's definitely male.

Sefie1999AD
03-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Big D
However, there are no female Black Mages at all in the game, so genderic distinctions are kind of a strange notion.

But Vivi's definitely male.

Yeah, and considering Kuja used Genomes as a base for creating the Black Mages, and Genomes didn't really have genders, the Black Mages don't really have a clear gender, either.

Big D
03-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Sephiroth1999AD
Yeah, and considering Kuja used Genomes as a base for creating the Black Mages, and Genomes didn't really have genders, the Black Mages don't really have a clear gender, either. GENOMES DO HAVE GENDERS!!!!11!!1!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a pretty big and common misconception, but really the answer is stated clearly by one of the Genomes in person.
Zidane asks, "you have boys and girls, right?" to which the Genome replies, "asexual organism would lack the genetic diversity to adapt to new environments". Basically, we know that there male and femal Genomes because they'd be completely useless without them.

Plus, Zidane himself - a Genome - is resolutely, undeniably, stereotypically male.

Just wanted to clear that up.

zacks_clone
03-22-2004, 12:24 AM
in addition to the Genome theorys and ideas and facts flying about, we know that they must have males. [spoliers]Kuja and Zidaine are proof of such.Also, didnt Zidane call the one Genome that was to be his replacment if things failed his sister?[spoilers]

It is fact that Vivi is male, for the simple reson that they call vivi male throught the whole game. While, Freya is clearly female because she is refered to as female. Quina, they(being the group) dont know about, so they refer to him/her as s/he though the game.

Godzilla3001
03-27-2004, 09:15 PM
yes they do refer to Quina as s/he but they also call him a "him" so i think there is something freeky going on there......BUT! I also think Quina is a girl (even though there's the him thing) because why would Vivi and Quina get married? *shivers*

SuperPac
03-30-2004, 06:24 AM
Okay, ignore the whole "getting married thing;" that was just dumb humor on Square's part (plus, it had to be done to get through the area). But do you have any idea how annoying it would be to ALWAYS input "him/her" and "s/he" EVERY SINGLE TIME they mentioned Quina? That would've been a major pain, both for the designers AND the gamers. I personally believe the Quan don't have a gender, for I've never seen anything to hint that they might. The only thing being that Vivi had a "grandfather," but that could simply be what Vivi called him.

Godzilla3001
03-31-2004, 06:56 PM
good point.............;)

Dragoon Kain
05-13-2004, 03:48 AM
i would like to add that vivi is definatly(sp?) a boy because in the very beginning when you go up to the ticket booth and you dont know vivis name yet (it is stated as ?????) when he is at the ticket booth the name above what he says reads pointy-hat BOY.

FFIXSavannah
06-13-2004, 09:52 AM
Vivi is a boy ...or at least I think he is?

Pete577
06-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Quans only have one real gender, IT. Sorta like robots...:)?

Trumpet Thief
07-07-2004, 12:48 AM
I never even thought about Vivi being a girl. And if he was... *shudders*

Triple T
07-17-2004, 09:36 PM
There's always 3 females in FF: Main character's boyfriend, spunky/hyper and serious. Making Vivi female would be... breaking tradition!

Ryth
07-19-2004, 06:27 PM
Male it's kinda obvious if you ask me I hope they make a sequel and we get to hear his voice and maybe get a hint on Quina's sex.

Sephiroth534
07-20-2004, 12:12 AM
I've always thought that Quina was a girt. But I could be wrong :eek: . Quina dosen't show any sexual signs that she could be a girl... or boy. But Vivi is a male. He seems that he's a boy.

Del Murder
07-25-2004, 07:12 AM
I always pictured Quina sounding a lot like Cookie Monster.

Christmas
12-22-2022, 12:50 PM
Vivi is an animal based on Quina's first wedding night experience. :bigsmile: