PDA

View Full Version : Weaponry and fighting

Erdrick Holmes
03-18-2004, 04:05 AM
As some of you know I love fighting for sport, I've actually sparred no holds barred with my friends. I trained in the Korean martial art of Taebongsoodo for about 3 years and now I'm currently training myself in the art so I can get stronger and better. I happen to have a pair of Rattan Canes that are about 3 feet long and very thick, if swung hard enough it can break somebody's knee, and this large wooden club that is about the size of a cricket bat, I keep both of these for self defense.

So does anyone own any weapons for defense or know any fighting styles that are pretty effective.

Kami
03-18-2004, 04:24 AM
All I know how to do is flapping my arms around insanely. Oh and for weapon? err... does my tennis racket count?

Advent Child
03-18-2004, 05:39 AM
I have a throwing knife and an assortment of lockblades.

PeTeRL90
03-18-2004, 05:40 AM
I have my switchblade for self-defense purposes.

I carry it with me whenever I go for walks, and I've had to use it a few times.

eestlinc
03-18-2004, 06:07 AM
I have my brain

Del Murder
03-18-2004, 06:16 AM
I have my mouth.

Vandroiy
03-18-2004, 06:47 AM
I have some training in various fighting styles, including Tae Kwon Do, Kempo, and some hybrid grappling/striking arts. I've also trained in kali stick/knife fighting. I always carry a good folding knife on me, but I own lots of different weapons.

Shlup
03-18-2004, 07:43 AM
I like ninja stars but there was this one time that I threw one in a kids eye and then he was bleeding but my friend got naked and it was okay.

Big D
03-18-2004, 07:48 AM
*feels flattered that Joel knows what a cricket bat is*

I've done a session of training with a taiaha, that's a spear traditionally used by Maori warriors. Entirely made of wood, with a pointed blade on one end and a broad, flat blade on the other. I've also had plenty of practice swinging an axe and a mattock, both of which would probably be quite effective for self-defence.

I've got experience with karate, kung fu, wrestling and pressure point self-defence, but that was limited to basics; however, through my own practice and experimentation I've developed it a little.

Never had to defend myself in a real fight, and hopefully never will. However, I once had an extended sparring session against a friend with two years of karate under his belt, and I held my own pretty well.

o_O
03-18-2004, 08:23 AM
I don't own a single weapon. Unless you consider various pieces of sporting apparel weapons; cricket/baseball bat, tennis raquet, squash raquet etc.

I've never had any training in martial arts, or any fighting for that matter, save for a few pointers from friends, but as I've never really had to exercise self defense, I still think I'd hold my ground pretty well in a fight.
It's always different in the real thing though. :rolleyes2

Lament
03-18-2004, 11:08 AM
I used to do Ninjutsu (did it for about three years, was pretty good too :D )

I have the full black ninja gear... I don't wear it anymore but I'll admit when I first got it I ran around my house Tenchu style to try it out :cool: I also own a rather nice katana but it's not a traditionally made one... just a copy for training. Still, I bet if one was to get twatted with it, it would hurt a considerable amount.

As for the effectiveness of the art, I've had to use the "skills" learned on more than one occasion... and it seemed to do the job just fine.

War Angel
03-18-2004, 12:01 PM
I have no martial arts training, and no real weapons (unless you consider kitchen knives and other useless crap weapons). I'm thinking about buying a 5kg sledgehammer. That thing looks intimidating.

I could probably use any firearms you give me to a very effective level, though. That counts for a lot, I supose.

escobert
03-18-2004, 01:34 PM
I have a shot gun what else do I need?

ShiggtyLuffLuff
03-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Hmm i collect swords as kind of a hobby, and as part of that hobby i train myself with them..im not to good i suppose but i can weild them with decent skill, like training with swords by yourself and in a rather small area dont give you much rooom for improvment over what i have now, oh and the swords i train with are mostly samurai...i do however use one very heavy midevil sword to just build muscle

LH
03-18-2004, 02:26 PM
The object best built for fitting in my hand and giving me the perfect swing is a bottle of Malibu. My second favorite weapon would be rolling around in the dirt and choking people out.

Breine
03-18-2004, 03:39 PM
My parents have a sword and a gun from the second world war.

As for martial arts I know a little Aikido (Is that spelled right?)

Mikztsu
03-18-2004, 04:57 PM
Joel = Star Wars kid. Sorry, that just came to my mind first. :)
I can only use firearms, grenades, mines... and stuff like that I learnt to use in army.

Dr Unne
03-18-2004, 05:57 PM
I also have my brain. And my dad has some guns.

Erdrick Holmes
03-18-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Mikztsu
Joel = Star Wars kid. Sorry, that just came to my mind first. :)

OOC: what the deuce does the almighty Starwars have to do with anything?

escobert
03-19-2004, 01:22 AM
Oh yeha I have a civil war sword that was my great great grand fathersa dn a lot of assult riffles and other various types of firearms. My dad like to shoot guns a lot. I liek to cut stuff up wiht the sword. We also have a civil war musket that was also my great grea grand fathers

Wind Shear
03-19-2004, 09:45 AM
I attended arnis (a Filipino martial art using sticks as a weapon) and sikaran (another Filipino martial art) in PE classes.