PDA

View Full Version : FF1 BB Solo

unfie
03-18-2004, 11:54 AM
Greetings people...

I recently came across a FF Origins disc and decided to see if it could stand up against the FF1 I so loved as a xmas present shortly after it originally came out..

So I've decided to do my first solo game. I chose BB since it seemed like it would be the most ... difficult...

While the updated music is somewhat nice (volume sliders are even better yay), and fast-walk/run-in-town is nice... I'll make note that as several ppl have pointed out, random encounters seem to be alot more frequent.

Anyhoo, I read somewhere about a year ago (either in a forum post here or somewhere else) that it'd be a good idea to wait till about lv10 before attacking Garland.

After killing nearly a thousand imps (given the small populations of towns in FF1, how many countries did I just wipe out?!?!) ... and 3 hours...

I sincerely hope that the Garland attack lvl was for a WM solo, cause I had no issues at all dealing with Garland at lv8... hell, I even removed the nunchucks at lv5 or lv6 due to increasing the chance of landing a hit (too many misses for my taste).

Provoka was a cake walk and I'm now having fun at sea. It's so much nicer to do a fight and get away with hundreds of XP instead of just 18,24, or 30 like them infernal imps (er, goblins, whatever).

Anyhoo, anyone have any notes on how frustrating of a game this will be ? Am I gonna have to lvl like mad and have 'real' issues in using up 99 potions on any given 'quest object' run ?

Flying Mullet
03-18-2004, 02:19 PM
Well playing the orginal NES version was hell for a single black belt. Lots of leveling up is usually needed, along with 99 potions as you have no other way to heal yourself. And save very often.

DocFrance
03-18-2004, 04:21 PM
Unne is rolling in his grave right now... well, he would be if he was dead, at least.

Sefie1999AD
03-18-2004, 10:20 PM
Yeah, just wait until you get to BB vs. Astos battle, and Unne will be having some of the best laughs he'll ever have: either Astos begins the battle by killing BB with Rub, or BB will first do a 1 HP attack and then get killed by Astos' Rub.

Oh, and that's why I'd suggest you to play solo games with the original FF1 NES. In the NES version, Astos' Rub hits every now and then, but it can be avoided with a reset or two. But in WSC and PSX versions, I've had to reset 10-20 times before it missed. :(

unfie
03-19-2004, 12:10 AM
re: Unne

Hehehe.. I'm well aware of his stance on BB's ... to be honest, I don't particularly care for them either. It's like playing D&D without taking any feats and just rolling the dice constantly by beating your head against the table rather than picking them up to tumble them.

re: Potions / attack patterns / etc

I'm well aware of the original patterns in the NES and the randomization in the PSX etc versions. I personally prefer it with the randomish way. I don't open my chess games with the same 3 moves every game, why would a monster attack in a given pattern constantly ?

As far as potions, being able to purchase 99 at once is the primary reasons for using the PSX version for a solo game. I'd rather not dig out my NES Advantage every time I started to go on a quest-item run.

In reguards to Astos, meh, will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Black Mage FF1
03-19-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by unfie
Greetings people...

I recently came across a FF Origins disc and decided to see if it could stand up against the FF1 I so loved as a xmas present shortly after it originally came out..

So I've decided to do my first solo game. I chose BB since it seemed like it would be the most ... difficult...

Wrong, the BB is not even close to being the most difficult solo. It is actually one of the easiest. The solo thief is by far the hardest.

DJZen
03-19-2004, 03:32 AM
Wow, it's more difficult than WM solo? I'd have thought that would be harder.

Black Mage FF1
03-19-2004, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by DJzen
Wow, it's more difficult than WM solo? I'd have thought that would be harder.

The solo thief? Yes it is BY FAR harder. You see with the WM you get Ruse and cure spells. Plus you get harm to help you with undead enemies and bosses like Lich. The solo thief you get nothing at all (unless you class change and do a solo Ninja).

DJZen
03-20-2004, 07:26 AM
Yes, but I find that even with 3 characters I can get stuck being defensive the whole time and not be able to mount any sort of offense. I'll have to give this solo thief game a try when I have the time.

Black Mage FF1
03-20-2004, 08:39 AM
If you have a lot of patience and time then go for it. It is a really hard but fun challenge. BTW if you do do it are you gonna do a solo thief all the way or are you gonna class change to a ninja?

unfie
03-20-2004, 01:28 PM
7 hours into it... lv 14... and I'll admit to finding the BB to be a slightly more interesting class than I had previously thought.

I'm about to make a run into the marsh cave... everything top side seems quite livable so far (other than ghast's ... hate them things, always have).

DJZen
03-20-2004, 06:47 PM
Theif all the way, if I was gonna do a class change I'd probably say solo ninja or solo theif/ninja.

unfie
03-23-2004, 07:54 AM
LV 16...

Astos was pretty easy ... beat him on the first attempt, lasted around 6 rounds. First attack he did was a rub,looking attack, at least it missed :).

The marsh cave... well... my first trip down was going very well... made it to the third level and then ran across either scroprions or zombie/ghoul things :(.

My god I forgot how annoying the paralyzsis enemies were, and didn't realize how deadly they were against a solo gamer :(.

I was at lv15 when doing the cave... burned about 50 potions going down... and after dieing 3 or 4 times and getting annoyed with restarting from sleeping bag outsides... I decided to explore the option of the 'memo' stuff... and... although it's handy, i can easily call it being somewhat cheateriffic.

I walked up to the wizards, memo'd, lost my first two fights, and got lucky on the third (only two wizards, or picodemons, or whatever they're called in origins). Not to mention 'memoing' after every fight to avoid the paralyzing enemies or scorpion squads....

I'll have to think about the use of memo usage later... seems a bit cheap (although it's nice to eliminate 'luck' from some things).

Gotta do the key-treasure-run and stuff...

My opinions so far of solo BB are a bit..hm. When I get into a fight, it's win or lose. Running sometimes is an option, but... every single of might fights is generally me holding down the 'select/ok/X' button. Not terribly interesting.

unfie
03-27-2004, 12:18 AM
lv28 now....

spent a lvl or two at the gargies in the temple of fiends..

did some time in the giant hall (5 levels ?) of the earth cave...

then rediscovered the earth elemental (gynoma ? or something ?) guarding a treasure chest on that first floor and did about 6 levels there.... will be returning to that spot to continue.

After lvl 21 (movement to 6 hits), the game has regressed to 'if the fight is with something with paralysis, i will prolly lose, otherwise i will win', and it's a matter of using less than 50 potions on your way 'down' through a dungeon.

It would seem the number of hits increases for every 10 Luck points your character has... I may push it to 8 hits before starting to rampage through the game (took one trip and killed the vampire, got the earth rod, after i get to 8 hits, will just start walking through the game ... starting with whatever the earth fiend is named (lich ?)).

unfie
03-27-2004, 12:22 AM
Oh, and something i'm not quite sure about...

Difference between theif and bb and wm games...

The BB seems to have an enomormous damage potential... I wonder what the theif gets (with his +18 swords, ick)... and stuff...

Something I'm not quite certain about, though, is how WM is easier than thief. Sure the harm/dia/whatever spells would be handy against the undead monsties... but the total lack of ability to do damage seems.... icky.

I'd rather try a BM run and attempting to allocate spells accordingly.

Black Mage FF1
03-27-2004, 01:21 AM

It would seem the number of hits increases for every 10 Luck points your character has... I may push it to 8 hits before starting to rampage through the game (took one trip and killed the vampire, got the earth rod, after i get to 8 hits, will just start walking through the game ... starting with whatever the earth fiend is named (lich ?)).

No. luck has nothing to do with your number of hits. Thats what hit% is for. The more Hit% the more hits you do. Plus if your BB doesnt have any weapons equiped his # hits are doubled.

Something I'm not quite certain about, though, is how WM is easier than thief. Sure the harm/dia/whatever spells would be handy against the undead monsties... but the total lack of ability to do damage seems.... icky.

I'd rather try a BM run and attempting to allocate spells accordingly.

Well you see with the WM you get magic spells that help you out. Throughout majority of the game you get ruse,cure1-3,harm,mute,heal3. While with the thief you get NONE of that. Well actually he does get Ruse and heal1 but thats still not enough to help and he doesnt get it until very late. Yes the WM is weak as hell but that doesnt matter when she has Mute,Ruse and cure. She can easily just cast Ruse,Mute if she needs to and just sit there and attack until the boss dies, and if she needs to heal she can cast Cure. Trust me, do a solo thief and then do a solo wm. You will be laughing at how easy a WM is to a thief.

unfie
03-27-2004, 12:51 PM
re: hit count / hit % / etc

... I've tried to find a reasonable explanation to this, but lack one. I don't recall if it's lv10 or lv11 when the BB starts getting 4 hits instead of 2... if it's 11, then....

lv11, lv21, lv31 .. all seem to add 2 to the hit count.

I realize that hit% matters cause fighters can gain up to 3x hit just after getting silver sword...

i dunno, maybe i'm just terribly confused.... bb seems to be gaining 3acc every lvl but that didn't make for a very lineary explanation of stuff... at lvl11, i think his aac was ... 20 ? at 21 it was in the 60's ?

blah.

lvl 35ish now, walked up to lich and hit him twice... woopty. i can see teh fire cave being annoying if i have to spend too much time running around on the 'hot squares'.... and i can see the ice cave with it's paralyzing enemies and the sourcerers (or whatever this version will call them)...

so far no real issues with petrification.. we'll see...

WM vs Thief ---- given lack of offense, I assume you'd spend most of your time traversing a dungeon by running away (as a WM) ? ... with only 8 spell slots per level, i can see spells drying up real fast like (same goes for BM!).

i may try theif next.... or maybe wm for something different... or just go bout playing ff2...