PDA

View Full Version : Weird...picture...messups...

Kirobaito
03-19-2004, 12:35 AM
Yeah, on the Forums Index page, I constantly either have the "No New Replies" Chocobo picture or the "New Replies" Chocobo picture "X"ed out. Just now, the "New Replies" picture was Xed out, so I refreshed the page, and it switched. Anyone know why?

Loony BoB
03-19-2004, 01:18 PM
ME TOO. Yay for not being the only one.

It's even more annoying due to the fact that when you right click on one of them and go "Show Picture", it works. Every time. Which means I have no idea what would make it not work, it's bloody confusing.

Xander
03-19-2004, 01:25 PM
This happens for me quite often too, but usually comes back pretty quickly. Maybe the little chocobos just like hiding sometimes :D

Dr Unne
03-19-2004, 04:40 PM
What do you mean by "Xed out"? You mean the picture isn't loading? Maybe server problems, connection timing out or something.

Kirobaito
03-19-2004, 06:25 PM
You know, where there's a white square with a red X in the corner. It always does it off and on for me, I actually had a little fun with it earlier. The New Replies was Xed, so I would refresh, then it would X out the No New Replies. I would refresh again, and both would be there. I was so bored I did that for about 20 minutes. It always went in the same pattern.

Cid
03-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Same thing has been happening to me too :( I thought it was Avant Browser.

Dr Unne
03-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Never happened to me. Doesn't Avant Browser use IE's rendering engine? Are the rest of you using IE? I wouldn't be surprised if IE was the problem.

Kirobaito
03-19-2004, 09:30 PM
I'm using SBCYahoo!'s Browser.

crono_logical
03-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Which is as proprietary as IE, as far as I can tell :p

Maybe it's related to the server issues mentioned in the other thread.

Peegee
03-24-2004, 11:45 AM
If it were then more complaints would ensue. I blame other sources such as registry 'tweaks' which overload servers with too many connections, leading to a timeout, or the use of IE.

The solution is obviously to use Netscape Communicator.

Loony BoB
04-24-2004, 01:47 PM
*bump*

This is still happening to me, and it seems it only happens at EoFF... and very rarely does it happen with things such as smilies, which is odd considering there are so many of them. Most of the time it's forum icons (the chocobos) and thread icons (the folders). Usually it's only one of the icons. For example, only the threads containing new posts and without a dot, or something. It's really annoying.

crono_logical
04-24-2004, 04:26 PM
I'll blame IE and all browsers that use IE to render now then - I've never seen this problem myself on any incarnation of mozilla or firefox I use :p Maybe you guys could try emptying your browser caches out too?

We've moved servers before you bumped the thread too, didn't we? And to a dedicated one at that.

HOOTERS
04-24-2004, 05:16 PM
I use Internet Explorer and it doesn't happen to me. I must be better at using it than you all.

:trout::smash:

Kirobaito
04-24-2004, 05:25 PM
It hasn't happened to me in awhile. Probably since I made this thread. Occassionally, nothing will display, but that's my connection (on my nifty 56K modem).

crono_logical
04-25-2004, 03:54 AM
IE just takes different amounts of time to break on different peoples' systems, PG :p

Cid
04-25-2004, 07:21 AM
Nothing we can really do about it. Still happening for me. It happens on any webpage that has a lot of the same image through out the page.