PDA

View Full Version : HTML tag help

Erdrick Holmes
03-20-2004, 03:01 AM
Im setting up HTML tags for my board but I don't know what other tags I should add, here are the following tags that I allowed that I copied from my admin control panel.

b,i,u,pre,center,a,img,br,p,pre,blockquote,!,font,mail

Anything else I should add to enhance the view pleasure of my posters?

The Man
03-20-2004, 04:12 AM
span, div, and s, at the very least.

what the hell do <!> and <mail> do?

crono_logical
03-20-2004, 04:30 AM
j to justify the text of long posts so it's nicer to read :p

Big Ogre Umaro
03-20-2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by The Man
Oh jeeze.

Big D
03-20-2004, 09:05 AM
I once suggested a FAQ listing all the handiest and snazziest HTML tags (at least, the ones useful for posting here), but nothing eventuated. Pity, really.
I'd love a list like that. Moving text, justification, flashy stuff, interesting alignments, etc...

Erdrick Holmes
03-20-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by The Man

what the hell do <!> and <mail> do?

I think the "i" can enable it so you can sorta hide text and it only shows up when the user quotes the text on the edit post screens, and "mail" allows posting of an email address as a hyperlink.

EDIT: Whats that tag that allows you to embed a sound or video file in your posts? I'm gonna add that one.

Flying Mullet
03-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Big D
I once suggested a FAQ listing all the handiest and snazziest HTML tags (at least, the ones useful for posting here), but nothing eventuated. Pity, really.
I'd love a list like that. Moving text, justification, flashy stuff, interesting alignments, etc...
Here's a good link for how to do loads of basic html stuff: http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/teachingtool/index.html.
And here's a link to a list of html tags, just as you requested: http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/reference/html_cheatsheet/.

Big D
03-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Brilliant links, Mullet. :)
In fact, I think this needs to be stickied, since it'll be pretty handy to a lot of people.
*Sticky*

Erdrick Holmes
03-21-2004, 12:28 AM
Wow, I made a stickyable thread, I feel happy.

The Man
03-23-2004, 12:42 AM
I don't think enabling <!> would enable <!-- comment tags -->. I can't see why anyone would want to use those on a message board anyway. Just leave it out.

Erdrick Holmes
03-23-2004, 12:44 AM
Ok, I guess I can remove it, now what about that tag that can imbed a streaming video file or a music file? Ya know, like the "taek of yer dress" song used alot of FG!

The Man
03-23-2004, 12:50 AM
embed. But frankly, that's a bit annoying outside of spam forums. Do what you like though, it's your board.

Erdrick Holmes
03-23-2004, 01:03 AM
Thanks, Aaron (AoW has a spam forum for that matter)

edczxcvbnm
04-23-2004, 03:23 PM
<font style="font-size:424pt"> message </font>

This allows you to make the font in your post any size you want. Here is how big the letter a looks at 250pt

This can get you around most font size limitations. Here the max is something like 7. Its infinite if you use this.

*the jig is up*

<font style="font-size:250pt">a</font>

The Man
05-02-2004, 08:00 PM
Yeah, if someone did that on my board I'd just edit their post and call them annoying. Or leave it and laugh at them.

Peegee
05-08-2004, 07:00 AM
<b><font style="font-size:200pt"> Yay </font></b>

add marquee

o_O
05-17-2004, 07:38 AM
<font style=":bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; color: #CCEEFF;">This text is quite out of place. <i>- o_O</i></font>

The newish attribute is CSS: "postion" is quite neat:
<<b></b>font style=":bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; color: #CCEEFF;">So look at the very <font color="red">top left</font> of this web page. :p<<b></b>/font>

<span style="color: blue; text-decoration: line-through;">
<span style="color:green; text-decoration: underline;">
<span style="color:red; text-decoration: none;">
Span is also pretty cool
</span>
</span>
</span>

GrimmReaper
06-12-2004, 08:40 AM
Howabout adding a " doHTML " tag? that always helps now does'nt it. :P course, i've only seen it on invision boards...so meh.

Chibi Youkai
10-24-2004, 03:40 AM
Does anyone know of a tag to loop animated gifs and the sort? (if one even exists)

Erdrick Holmes
10-24-2004, 03:47 AM
Gifs loop themselves.

Samuraid
10-24-2004, 06:45 AM
Or you can do something like this...which will probably get edited by a mod/admin because it will be really annoying.

"Wahaha this whole page has been taken over by evil CSS!"

<!---<font style=":bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:absolute; top:1000px; left:20px; font-size: 200px">Wahaha this whole page has been taken over by evil CSS!</font>--->

".........." ~ Big D

;)

Madonna
12-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Gifs loop themselves.
Only if they're set as such. As for looping ones that don't naturally, my guess is you'd need a sort of "refresh" tag, which I'm really doubtful of its existance.

Spatvark
01-03-2005, 03:33 AM
In general though, I'd disable html as it just begs you to get hacked. Just b lock all of it for safety's sake; the populace can deal with the crappy board codes to do what they need.

Also, gif's have to be told to loop themselves when you create them. Or at least, they do in Animation Shop Pro.