PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of the Dead

Thunday Man
03-21-2004, 06:37 AM
Did anyone see this? I saw it tonight.

*warning there MIGHT be spoilers*

----Okay, Im putting a spoiler in my post here so whatev =p You have been warned! ----

It was a good mocie id say. Alot of parts you could guess what was happening, or what was going to happen. Alot of foreshadowing. Then again, alot of killing :D Wasnt a typical horror movie id say, but still entertaining. The funniest parts are when the black cop, i dont know his name, so me and my friends just called him G-UNIT, shot the shotgun. There was always like a 10 second pause and a close up when he shot it. And when the rent a cop CJ shot it, they did nothing. Also when Andy, the gun store owner was using the sniper rifle, and the guy was telling him which celeb to shoot in the head. Also the owner of the boat was hilarous. Ever thing he said was so funny. Even though he was an ass. Oh well, he was great. The last funny part ill bring up is, eh i forget. If i remember by the end of the post ill say so =p or ill edit it.

There also was some stupid parts. Like the girl who would run across a sea of zombies to get her dog? WTF. and and how they painted the truck instead of beefing it up more. Lots more but it just gets me mad just to think about it. and the like in Wisconsin, or Michagin(sp) or whatever correct? The only major body of water there is Lake Michagin. I live by Chicago, on the same lake. I havent ever seen an island there. I doubt there is one there. Come on.

I'd say that the best part however, was the ending. I thought it ended when they got on the boat, but it didnt. If you saw the credits. Then you saw what im talking about. They get on the island, and what Ive been waiting to say this whole post, they got owned. Blair witch style camera, you see them just get dominated by the zombies. Thats how a horror movie would end if I made one.

The last point ill make, is, it was so similar to 28 days later. Just the look of everything was so cookie cutter. The story was very much the same in alot of ways. Seriously. I know 28 Days Later came after this movie, because this is a remake of the 1979 i believe movie of Dawn of the Dead.

Rei
03-21-2004, 06:57 AM
--Spoilers, I suppose---

I thought the cop and the shotgun was funny too. He had to profile before he shot somethin'. My favorite part was when the lounge version of "Down With The Sickness" was playin', and everyone was just hangin' out. They were doin' what I figure I'd do in the same situation.

What I don't get was why didn't Andy just, like, shoot the fingers of the zombies that were holdin' the little door open? He's supposed to be this bad-ass gun store owner, but he can't close a tiny panel-thing? I don't think he should have died.

The only part that really stuck with me was when you saw the silhouette of that woman in the bus fighting with the two zombies. Man, what a crappy way to go.

Thunday Man
03-21-2004, 06:59 AM
Oh yes, i forgot to add that to my post. Down With The Sickness by Richard Cheese. Lol.

Yeah that stood out pretty well with me too. Also just in the beginning when the husband got bit, I thought it was pretty sick when you could actually see the chunk that the girl bit off.

metCloud
03-21-2004, 01:08 PM
I did not read your posts due to spoilers so I might say somthing you might have said already.

The original is great...everything about Romero's work is in the top ranks of the horror genre and cant wait to see the new one! With that said, Is the new one exactly like the old one (storyline that is)?? If the gore is reduced at all I will be pi$$ed!! Oh and CGI???:shoot:

BTW- Did George Romero have anything to do with this on?? or did Hollywood gank this classic too?

Erdrick Holmes
03-21-2004, 02:56 PM
I gotta see this so badly.

White Raven
03-21-2004, 05:56 PM
I thought that this movie was a remake of 'Night of the Living Dead', but I may be wrong. Twas an alright movie overall though.

metCloud
03-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by White Raven
I thought that this movie was a remake of 'Night of the Living Dead', but I may be wrong. Twas an alright movie overall though.

Dawn of The Dead is the sequel too Night of The Living Dead. The original Dawn was made 10 years after "Night" and was kinda hard to find until recently released on DVD.

Thunday Man
03-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by metCloud
I did not read your posts due to spoilers so I might say somthing you might have said already.

The original is great...everything about Romero's work is in the top ranks of the horror genre and cant wait to see the new one! With that said, Is the new one exactly like the old one (storyline that is)?? If the gore is reduced at all I will be pi$$ed!! Oh and CGI???:shoot:

BTW- Did George Romero have anything to do with this on?? or did Hollywood gank this classic too?

Oh its plenty gorey.

metCloud
03-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Thunder God Cid
Oh its plenty gorey.

Cool, Are the classic headshots still there?:D

Mr. Graves
03-22-2004, 12:42 AM
I'm interesting in seeing it. I mean, I'm reminded of the Resident Evil series, and it looks pretty good. Of course, when I do, I'm going to be entertained, not necessarily scared, because, well, zombies never scared me at all, really.

Moxie
03-22-2004, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by White Raven

You're horribly wrong, it's a remake of Dawn of the Dead which is the sequel to Night of the Living Dead. It's also a lot better in my opinion than this version

metCloud
03-22-2004, 01:37 PM
It would be a miracle if the remake was better than the original. I dont see how Resident Evil could even be compared to this film. Game Good----Movie Bad...Very Bad! Stick with Romero if zombies is your thing.

Thunday Man
03-22-2004, 10:06 PM
Cool, Are the classic headshots still there?:D

Yep, everyone in this movie are headshot masters. Its the only way to kill them it seems, besides fire.

LH
03-23-2004, 01:34 PM
I went into the movie looking for a reason to not like this movie, but I found nothing. The Night remake was good, but this one was even better.

This is definitely interesting. At first I was bothered by the running zombies. I thought it was going to be stupid like 28 Days Later where the zombies don't pile on and eat the brains of their prey, but I was wrong on that. The zombies are definitely hungry in this movie. I'm a Romero purist and I like his way of doing things, like the slow moving groaning RE-style zombies. But the growling, screaming, running zombies fit this movie perfectly and it wouldn't have worked if they didn't run. And it does make sense that the freshly-killed people would run since they didn't have a chance to rot or be immobilized.

What this version kept in common was the materialistic instinct of the people and the zombies. That's important because it's what gave the original so much personality. The survivors don't live it up as much as you'd think (I'd be raiding the registers and watching all kinds of movies and playing with laptops) but you can still tell that even in the middle of the end of the world the people still are drawn to consumerism, like when they're all trying on new clothes (I think it's during the Disturbed cover.) The zombies are drawn to the mall too, and Ken/G-Unit points it out. It's dripping with satire how they all herd together as zombies to file into the mall and take whatever flesh they can get their hands on.

With that said, Is the new one exactly like the old one (storyline that is)??

Nope. The few things in common with first one are zombies and a shopping mall. Aside from that they're very different.

If the gore is reduced at all I will be pi$$ed!! Oh and CGI???:shoot:

No! It's really gruesome. There's a headshot by the black cop Ken (not G-Unit! ;)) with a shotgun from close range and the guy's head from the lips up flies all over the wall. There's a lot of zombies getting hit by trucks and their heads popping like grapes and all that great stuff too. From what I could tell, they only used CGI when they absolutely had to.

I can't stress enough how sick some of the headshots are. You just have to see them to understand.

No. His name is credited as writing the screenplay that the new screenplay was based off of, but that's it. I read in an interview that he's indifferent to the project anyway, because no matter what Hollywood does, the original Dawn is still there for all to see.

metCloud
03-23-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Grandmaster LH

Nope. The few things in common with first one are zombies and a shopping mall. Aside from that they're very different.

darn...I was hoping to see another Hillbilly Zombie huntin' scene:biggrin: :bgl: :biggrin:! I would have been raiding some stores stores too.

LH
03-23-2004, 04:44 PM
Well, there's something similar to it you'll probably like. Hint: Jay Leno.

Mr_Bojangless
03-24-2004, 06:09 AM
**Possible Spoilers?**

Dawn of the Dead is everything that Resident Evil the movie wish it was. This movie has mass gore, mass chaos, explosions, cute girls, and tons of killing. What more could you ask for in a movie with this subject. I thought that Dawn of the Dead portrayed almost perfectly of what people would do if that kinda thing really happened. Panic and chaos. Goriest part I'd say is the chainsaw through the girls chest :eek: That was sick. All I have to say is if you're into Resident Evil, this movie is a must see.

Thunday Man
03-25-2004, 03:28 AM
I thought the bite was the worst gorey part really. I dunno, maybe because I really wasnt expecting it and it was the first one but meh. The chainsaw part only lasted like a couple seconds, and the bite lasted a long time. Meh, yeah I change my mind on it was okay, it was good :D

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=dawn_rules

Sephex
03-25-2004, 08:00 AM
*SPOILERS*

It was alright, I didn't like the whole cliche' "everyone is ****ed" end (the stuff that takes place during the credits). that type of ending in a horror film has been done way to much. Also, if some virus outbreak or whatever took over entire cities, this government wouldn't hesitate to nuke the crap out of it. They ovbiously gave up on saving survivors when that big ass, important, helicopter went soaring by the mall. We only have 20,000 nukes lying around, why not use it on the undead? Maybe I missed something, but when they talked to Andy (the gun shop guy) over the walkie-talkie thing...uhhh...yeah....if they had that all along...then why the hell were they writing signs to eachother?

Other than that the movie was okay.

Mr_Bojangless
03-25-2004, 08:14 AM
That's what I was wondering. If something like this were to happen, they would nuke the :love: out of it.

Anaralia
03-25-2004, 03:45 PM
*SPOILERS*

The walkie talkies were on the dog. One of them was, I mean.

Maybe they nuked other areas, big cities, but not the small town where the movie took place. That's what I assumed, at least.

Thunday Man
03-25-2004, 10:16 PM
They would nuke their own people? No. They would not do that. It would not only kill the zombies, but EVERY living creature on the face of North America. If we launched 20000 of them, bye bye world. It wouldnt make any sense to nuke ourselves. Even if we did live, life as we know it would cese to exist. Due to everything being gone, no technology, and everyone being horribly deformed? Do you know what radiation from these things causes?

I'll post some links.

Which brings me to another point. I hate when people say NUKE IT! People dont seem to grasp the power of a hydrogen or atomic bomb.

Mr_Bojangless
03-26-2004, 12:38 AM
**Spoilers**

You don't seem to grasp the fact that the zombies took over EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE. They couldn't stop them. They took over the world. What other possible way to stop the zombies are there? Besides, you wouldn't be nuking your own people, you'd be nuking your own people's dead bodies. There were very few survivors, and as you saw at the very end of the movie, even those "survivors" died. If this were a real situation, they would have to nuke the area within, I'd say, 24 hours of outbreak. Something like this cannot be contained any other way.

Rei
03-26-2004, 12:58 AM
--Spoilers--

I doubt they took over EVERYTHING. There're always remote military installations, forgotten villages on isolated islands in Micronesia, and whatnot. It says on the site that there's this virus goin' around, which is transmitted through the bites, right? There're gonna be some places unaffected, as there aren't enough people to turn into zombies to kill everyone, or they just weren't touched. I give the zombies some months before they decompose so much that they are no longer a threat, and then, hey, we win!

Mr_Bojangless
03-26-2004, 01:16 AM
**Spoilers**

I give the zombies some months before they decompose so much that they are no longer a threat, and then, hey, we win!

Haha, that is a good solution. :)

But that might be true how some small installations or islands were not takin over YET. But should your solution of decomposing not work, they will spread eventually, and if not, half the world is most likely already dead. They could nuke in the first place and, while a good portion would unfortunately die, it wouldn't be as drastic as half the world. If you hadn't noticed, when the sergeant or whoever was reporting on tv and they were burning the dead zombies, they were in Iraq or some foreign country like that, half-way around the world from where we are. So letting zombies run without nuking early would result in at least half the world's population being dead.

Tokki Wartooth
03-27-2004, 05:03 AM
I thought the zombies in this movie were way scarier because they moved so fast. In the original you just laughed at them because they were all slow and stuff, the characters just ran by them and whatever.

I was kind of disappointed they didn't have that scene with the helicopter, where the zombie is coming after the guy then he runs into the propellor and his head gets cut off. That part was awesome. :(

Sephex
03-27-2004, 07:58 AM
They would nuke their own people? No. They would not do that. It would not only kill the zombies, but EVERY living creature on the face of North America. If we launched 20000 of them, bye bye world. It wouldnt make any sense to nuke ourselves. Even if we did live, life as we know it would cese to exist. Due to everything being gone, no technology, and everyone being horribly deformed? Do you know what radiation from these things causes?

I'll post some links.

Which brings me to another point. I hate when people say NUKE IT! People dont seem to grasp the power of a hydrogen or atomic bomb.

I wasn't saying use every single nuke. I was saying since we have so many, why not put a couple to use? And everything was taken over. I don't think this government would give a shit about trees, animals, or other living things (even survivors) if something that horrific was going around.

Wait, why am I even posting about this in the first place? That whole stupid movie was flawed.

EDIT: I'm not stupid. I know what nasty effects a nuke can have.

Peegee
03-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Helicopter? :shiftyeyes69:

I thought it was a really good movie. There's some things that made me shake my head, like that man and his pregnant wife. What the eff total idiocy there. What I don't understand is why the dog ran away at the end. Oh well...

Thunday Man
03-27-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Sephex
Wait, why am I even posting about this in the first place? That whole stupid movie was flawed.

Isn't the whole point of a movie like this is to excape reality? I don't want to watch a movie about zombies roaming the earth trying to kill me if there were actually zombies trying to do so. Its supposed to be fantasy, not real.

ZellMog
03-28-2004, 12:28 AM
I'm a huge horror movie fan. It ranks as my numbers one interest (With RPGs at number 2 and anime at 3. I'm such a dork.)

Anyway, when I heard about a remake of the classic Dawn of the Dead, I wasn't too happy. I figured they would never be able to come close to the masterpiece that the original was.

But, I'll admit, I was wrong. Sure, the new DOTD is nowhere near as amazing as the original. But it's certainly a good movie.

8/10

Sephex
03-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Isn't the whole point of a movie like this is to excape reality? I don't want to watch a movie about zombies roaming the earth trying to kill me if there were actually zombies trying to do so. Its supposed to be fantasy, not real.

True, but some flaws were to big for me to notice. Not trying to ruin the thread or anything. That movie just wasn't my style mainly (I did like some other stuff though. The lounge cover of "Down With The Sickness" was GREAT!).

DMKA
04-02-2004, 07:14 AM
The Lounge cover of "Down With the Sickness" made me laugh so hard I cried. It was indeed the best part of the film, and made the entire movie worht seeing...

Aside of that, I thought it sucked.

BatChao
04-03-2004, 03:30 AM
This movie is the greatest movie EVER. Okay, maybe not the greatest ever, but definitely the greatest mindelss movie ever. The filmakers made the perfect zombie movie. The formula is so generic and simple it's hard to say why it's been so long since a great zombie movie hit theaters. I mean it's basically zombies + guns + gore = cool zombie movie. And for good measure, throw in some sex scenes. The is the way a zombie movie should be. The plot is non-existant (all there is to start the movie off is 10 minutes of talking, then it's zombie mayhem!), there's tons of gore and guns, and the acting ain't half bad. This movie rocks! Oh and the fact that these zombies were fast was really awesome too.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
04-14-2004, 05:20 AM
i saw this movie and i thought it was crap!

Zombie movies tend to have the same stories in this case....a virus comes along and infects the city and the people in it.....u get bitten your one of them....after watching resident evil, 28 days later and house of the dead im afraid to say i have lost faith in this genre.... Nothing in this movie was resolved......i saw some things resolved in 28 days later but thats it.....to me this movie is all blood and explosions.....twas boring for me im afraid....