PDA

View Full Version : is this the worst final fantasy game?

aeris2001x2
03-22-2004, 01:10 PM
i,m on my second play through and mastering is coming along well, but all rational2 me says this game sucks! yet its fun!

of all the numbered ffs, it really is bad. ok its better then ff tactics, mystic quest and possibly ff crystal cronicles which i,m yet 2 play.

i guess i just expected more. the j-pop is nice but its definitly the worst ff soundtrack.some vey nice pieces still though,like gagazet and the intro.

the story is utter s***. most of the new characters are very forgettable except shinra. the dress sphere system sucks, as does the garment grids.

this new atb system is chaos. in trying to address the "slowness" and "predictability" of ffx they have gone way over the top. i mastered it after a while, but it does take getting used too.

how many awful sub games can be cramed into one game? blitzball 2 the revenage, sphere break,thunder plains bolt fixing, VERY disapointing chochobo ranch, calm lands answer to "gold saucer" falls flat. even that gunners gauntlet is horrible. and i spent ages getting 2800 points on it. it was so dull.

anyway rant over. what r you ppls thoughts? is it the worse of the roman numeral ffs? or does ff8 still hold that crown?(though it still rules.

this is the first of the proper ffs not 2 be genius or get in my top games chart. that says it all 4 me. dont get me wrong,its a great game. but by ff standards its terrible...

whoamitidus
03-22-2004, 01:21 PM
this is one of the best ff yah i agee some off the mini games are crap any way ffVIII is'nt the best long live
ffX-2

aeris2001x2
03-22-2004, 01:25 PM
after this disapointment i think i will return to the joys of ff6 and ff7.

Kupo
03-22-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by aeris2001x2
the story is utter s***. most of the new characters are very forgettable except shinra. the dress sphere system sucks, as does the garment grids.

this new atb system is chaos. in trying to address the "slowness" and "predictability" of ffx they have gone way over the top. i mastered it after a while, but it does take getting used too.

this is the first of the proper ffs not 2 be genius or get in my top games chart. that says it all 4 me. dont get me wrong,its a great game. but by ff standards its terrible...

Aw, this made me sad. I was hoping not to see many more of the "this game is an uber-disappointment" threads. :crying:
Anyway, there are threads on almost every single topic which you've mentioned, and I'm sure that you can find many people to agree or debate with on the good and bad points of the game....

And... to quote FFVIII:
"Everybody! Peace! And love!":moggie:

SeeDRankLou
03-22-2004, 10:36 PM
This makes me sad too.

First of all, the story of this game is wonderful for several reasons. One, because they actually found a way to make the plot of a sequel good, which is hard to do. Second, because the story can go many different ways, which is a big change for FF games, and I like it. I will admit that it does take a while for the story to pick up, but once you get to Chapter 3 it's awesome. The characters are very good in this game, especially Paine. The humor of this game made almost all of these characters very memorable, espeically Brother. The dress sphere system is awesome. They took the cool concept of jobs, made it cooler, and then made it so that you can change dress spheres mid-battle, similar to how you could change weapons and characters mid-battle in FFX. Brilliant.

The new ATB system is chaos. And I love it. It's the best one they've ever done, hands down.

How aweful are the mini-games in this game? About as aweful as they've ever been. I liked some of them, I didn't like others, I wanted to through my PS2 out the window while playing others. No different than any other FF.

This game is genious for one simple reason. They made a good sequel, despite the bad hype that the game had before it was even released. A lot of sequels in the world don't live up to the first. This one so does. This is one of the best FFs I've ever played.

And please leave the knocking of FFVIII to the FFVIII thread.

Kupo
03-22-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by SeedRankLou
The new ATB system is chaos. And I love it. It's the best one they've ever done, hands down.

How aweful are the mini-games in this game? About as aweful as they've ever been. I liked some of them, I didn't like others, I wanted to through my PS2 out the window while playing others. No different than any other FF.

This game is genious for one simple reason. They made a good sequel, despite the bad hype that the game had before it was even released. A lot of sequels in the world don't live up to the first. This one so does. This

True dat, my friend. I actually was completely lost in the chaos of the first few FFX-2 battles, but I grew to really appreciate them. When I went back to replay FFX I actually found the battles way too easy, as every action could be planned out. FFX-2 adds a more realistic feel to the battles- you have to think fast like in a real battle, and plan a few turns ahead, and it can get your adrenaline going and really involve you in the game.

And yeah, the mini-games are not the greatest. But everyone has different preferences. Wihtout straying too far from FFX-2 but to use an example from say... FFVIII: I was the queen of triple triad and loved it to death; but there are seemingly millions out there who don't like it at all. It just comes down to personal preference.

It's hard to name any sequel- not just one to a game, mind you- that lives up to its predecessors. I also feel that this game has done a lot to disprove all the negative publicity surrounding it (and there was a lot). I've even found old posts of mine where I am rather dubious about a sequel. But I think Square-Enix did an excellent job making this game. They dared to stray from the (by now) somewhat routine, darker storyline of the teenagers/young adults who go on a quest to save the world and instead they made a game filled with warmth and humour, based on a heroine who goes on a quest motivated by her own desires, not the world around her. While it did take a little getting used to, in the end it was for me a wonderful change, and this does rank as one of my favorite FF's... even more so because I personally came to it with not the highest of expectations.

:moggie:

DMKA
03-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Omg, this made me cry...how could you NOT love the new best RPG battle system ever???? Its great and unlike FFX we actually have CHALLENGE and A NEED TO THINK and ACT QUICKLY or die!!! God I love it! I can't get enough of it.

All FFs I recall had some pretty annoying crap for minigames, so thats not an issue (though I must say I do enjoy gunners gauntlet:D). They did, however, screw it up for the people who actually enjoyed Blitzball in FFX...I like it MUCH better this way though cause its over nice and fast!:D

And in closing, since SeedRankLou pretty much said it all already, they did a damn good job with it. Its the most original RPG I've ever played...its so different and thats just awesome, and thats where all the gripes about it come from...because its not exactly like all the other RPGs since the 16-bit era. ME ARE LOVING FFX-2!

aeris2001x2
03-23-2004, 06:56 PM
wow i,m really surprised this gme is liked. i expected it 2 be hated more then ff2jap and ff8. and yes many of this was done before, but i found no general ffx2 analysis topic so...

i have done the story once. okthere are a few things i will do during my replay (currently at start of chapter 3 on replay) but all i see so far...

killer beville weapon that threatens all sphrere, which turns out 2 be as we weak as a bite bug

lots of mystery over the crimson squad survivors...wow huge revelation...not

the groups political fighting was nice but limited

my end was crap, but i only had 60% so i gether that will change later.

i guess the battle system and new atb systerm is down to taste. i just feel this new atb is streching turn based combat to the realms of real time.

i actually found this less strategic then ffx. i win most of the fights by pressing attack and button bashing.

but yeah, maybe i just hate it when it enters charlies angel mode.

yes every ff (except ff7) had a few, but this has NO sub games i enjoyed.

but yeah i,m sorry but i just HAD to do an ffx2 rant topic 2 work it out my systerm. personally give me junction over dresssphere anyday but each to there own. i,m still gonna master this game.

whoamitidus
03-23-2004, 07:13 PM
yeah vegnagun was easy so was suyin he did about four hits which were [list=1]
terror of zankerden which hit yuna (ko'ed her)
hit and run
normal hit on paine
the one which is like energey rain
[/list=1] but u can always rivie people

SeeDRankLou
03-23-2004, 08:32 PM
wow i,m really surprised this gme is liked. i expected it 2 be hated more then ff2jap and ff8. and yes many of this was done before, but i found no general ffx2 analysis topic so...

Why, because you don't like it? (Sorry, that was rash)
Don't assume that just because you don't like something or that the game had bad hype before it was even released means that no one will like it. The numbers in this case just don't lie. In Japan, this game sold 1.96 million copies in one day. In less than two months it sold a million copies in the US. And FFX-2:I+LM I think has already sold 1 million+ copies. People like it, sorry that you don't.

i guess the battle system and new atb systerm is down to taste. i just feel this new atb is streching turn based combat to the realms of real time.

As it should be. The turn based system in FFX was stupid. The enemy is not going to wait for you to make a move, and you are not going to wait for the enemy to make a move. Why this is better than other atb games is the multiple attacks at once. If you are fighting several enemies, they aren't going to take turn attacking, if they all are going to attack then they are. Same with the characters. It's more real, more interactive, and that's why I like it.

You only had 60% of the game, well you missed a bunch of stuff. And you "HAD" to make a rant??? Well sorry that so far you're the only one that feels the way you do. Junction was a good system actually, I don't know which one I would pick, because I like them both. *ponders*

Kupo
03-23-2004, 08:54 PM
As it should be. The turn based system in FFX was stupid. The enemy is not going to wait for you to make a move, and you are not going to wait for the enemy to make a move. Why this is better than other atb games is the multiple attacks at once. If you are fighting several enemies, they aren't going to take turn attacking, if they all are going to attack then they are. Same with the characters. It's more real, more interactive, and that's why I like it.

*snicker* Yeah... I remember that when I was fighting Omega Weapon in FFX, and then the phone rang and then I made my self a sammich, completely sure that Omega would just chill there until I was done. The idea of chaining attacks together was a good one- and it stays fair. Not only can you chain yours, but the fiends can chain theirs. It was something new, which is one of the best things about each FF. There's a common thread deep down there, but it's nice to see how each game will distinguish itself from the rest.

If FFX-2 remained exactly the same as FFX, I could see a lot of complaining anyway. Either from the anti-FFX people (This game sucks! And why would they make a sequel to this sucky game, rant rant rant!) or from people who, while they enjoyed FFX, would complain that EVERYTHING was the same as in it's predecessor (same game engine, graphics, music, personalities, and tone). I probably would have complained about it. It would seem like it was just an attempt to cash in on FFX's popularity. However, the dramatic changes in FFX-2 show that the people behind the game were really trying to accomplish something new, and I think that they succeeded. This game works. And if you take the time to do the entire game while not comparing it to the world of FFX, it can be very enjoyable.

Hopefully, when you get the game completed to a high percentage, your opinion of the storyline will change. 60% is pretty much the bare bones of the game, but I think all the optional (non-hotspot) missions are what really flush out the characters. For example, Paine. (who wasn't listed a a memorable character! *sniffle*) Yeah, I suppose you don't learn much about her if you don't complete the side missions, but when you get them done, I think you get a wonderfully complete, memorable, and emotional picture of who she is.

It's hard to make a general analysis or make a rant that will stand up to we rabid fans (go us!) on only 60%.

aeris2001x2
03-23-2004, 10:41 PM
Why, because you don't like it? (Sorry, that was rash)
Don't assume that just because you don't like something or that the game had bad hype before it was even released means that no one will like it. The numbers in this case just don't lie. In Japan, this game sold 1.96 million copies in one day. In less than two months it sold a million copies in the US. And FFX-2:I+LM I think has already sold 1 million+ copies. People like it, sorry that you don't.

i never said i didnt like it. and in britain all i got was GOOD press. i like it...i just expected more. and no, i didnt expect no one else 2 like it because i didnt. i,m not that blind.

i expected the ff hardcore to use it as further proof of the so called ff downfall since ff6/7. i expected the mainstream to destroy it for charlie angel scenes etc

the ctb isnt stuiped, nor the previous atb systerm.

a) i have always considered it metaphorical anyway

b) if i want a real time game or pseudo rpg game i,ll go 2 grandia, devil may cry, metal gear solid, legacy of kain etc when u destroy the turn based combat systerm u cease 2 be an ff in my eyes. imho i think zelda is where the realtime rpg should stay.

yes, there r LOTS of good sequels, but few better then the original. compared to ffx i thought this fell flat.

i like things to stay the same ifit aint broke. whether ff was broke before this is open to opinion. anyway i would have welcomed change if i thought it was improvement. anyway, when i get home i,ll be ready 2 start the save the calm land ppl mission and kill yojimbo and i,m excited. i still enjoy this game lots. and as i said before, it is opinion. that was what i was interested in.

Kupo
03-23-2004, 10:55 PM
b) if i want a real time game or pseudo rpg game i,ll go 2 grandia, devil may cry, metal gear solid, legacy of kain etc when u destroy the turn based combat systerm u cease 2 be an ff in my eyes. imho i think zelda is where the realtime rpg should stay.

yes, there r LOTS of good sequels, but few better then the original. compared to ffx i thought this fell flat.

If I'm not horribly mistaken (if I am, please someone correct me) the battles in FFIX were active time battles? Or was it FFVII? (I need to replay those soon, before I forget everything) In any case, I am pretty sure that all the FF's were not strictly turn-based battles. If anything, FFX-2 was a return to the old-school battles... hence "fixing what is broken." :p

bkkguy
03-23-2004, 11:43 PM
I agree that FFX2 is quite different than the other FF series. It is definately not the best game but I don't know about calling the worst game. Like FFT before it, this game is very innovative in many ways.

SeeDRankLou
03-24-2004, 12:43 AM
i never said i didnt like it. and in britain all i got was GOOD press. i like it...i just expected more. and no, i didnt expect no one else 2 like it because i didnt. i,m not that blind.

Really? Then you might want to better word what you say because you are coming across rather anti-FFX-2. And the game got quite a bit of bad press in the US.

i expected the ff hardcore to use it as further proof of the so called ff downfall since ff6/7. i expected the mainstream to destroy it for charlie angel scenes etc

First of all....what's wrong with the "Charlie's Angel's" scenes? Second....trust me when I say that I am a part of this "ff hardcore" as you put it. And ff has not in the slightest gone on this downfall of which you speak. The games continue to be at least as good if not better than their predecessor ever since FF1. FFVIII was better than FFVII in many many ways. FFIX was sub-par with FFVIII. FFX blew FFVIII out of the water. And FFX-2 improved in many many ways on FFX. And I am being very objective when I say these things. Obviously the graphics have gotten better, but that comes with hardware progression. Square's ability in story telling, character design, character interaction, environments, plot twists, and so much more have continued to improve from each game to the next. Whether you like or dislike these certain aspects is irrelevant to the thought and skill put behind them, which is what is relevant. Square can't please everyone. The character interaction in FFX-2 is the best it has ever been. Square took a pre-existingly good environment and made it better. They took a story that was more or less over and continued it flawlessly. The plot twist in this game was breathtaking to say the least (Bahamut). Opinion of something and skill put into something are two different thing. For example, I say that FFX blew FFVIII out of the water, but I still like FFVIII better. Another, I didn't like the CTB in FFX. Doesn't mean it was bad, there was a lot of craft put into that whole system and it worked very well, I just didn't like it. Square's skills have only improved over the years.

Well that blows your credulity. FF's have always had ATBs, just weak ones (and when I say always I mean at least the 6 before FFX, my memory is fuzzy on the ones earlier than that). FFX is the only one to have the CTB. It was good for a game, but I'm glad they undid that.

That's your opinion, which you are entitled to. But from what you say, it sounds to me that you complain about this game because you like other games, which is not fair. That's like saying you are unhappy with Sausage Pizza because you like Pepperoni Pizza. It's not that the Sausage Pizza tastes bad, it's that the Pepperoni Pizza tastes good, sticking with what you like and not accepting new things. You can like both you know, it's not going to make you any less of a person. You don't like things in FFX-2 because they are different than in FFX or in other games. You shouldn't compare FFs, they are all different and should stay out of the realm of comparison. If I were to compare any game FFVIII they would mostly all fall short. However, they are all good games, and none of them fall short, because they are in the context of themselves, not the series. And if you don't like Square changing things well you better get used to it, because they always have and they always will, that's what they do. That's one thing that makes this line of games exciting, it's always something new.

Kupo
03-24-2004, 01:03 AM
How are you always able to say what I want to say.... just better than I ever could? :beer:

And thanks for the bit about the ATB, I was pretty sure that they all had it!

Cinna
03-24-2004, 02:28 AM
I think the game was well made and was, as a whole, a well-done sequel. However, I do not personally like it as much as the first.

I liked the CTB of FFX, simply because I like having my time to plan out my moves. Not realistic, true, but games don't have to imitate life. As well, I didn't feel the grand sweeping lord of the rings grandness that I felt with the first one. It felt a lot lighter in the story department. But that same lightness and open endness was a breath of fresh air from other FFs. But I personally like more linear games.

As well, I thought there were a lot of weird, awkward moments (more so than FFX). Like when they started doing gull wing poses near the end of the game. I felt the jumping ability also didn't add much to the game, and thought the music (while still very good) wasn't quite as good as the first.

All in all, a good game, a good sequel, not one of my favs, but still worth the money I paid for it.

TasteyPies
03-24-2004, 04:10 AM
I realy have never liked the costume changing ffs like 5.

You spend time leveling acharicter type, then a dungeon later you get to start a new one from scratch, waste of time much?

m4tt
03-24-2004, 03:31 PM
"Is this the worst final fantasy game?"

No. I think you meant to post this in the FFVIII forum.

Flying Mullet
03-24-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Gau

http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gif

Kupo
03-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Gau

Ooh, SNAP! :p

haha... i liked FFVIII, ya big meany.

bkkguy
03-24-2004, 05:14 PM
From what I read from many FF fansite, FFTA seem to be the worst game in the series. This is just my observation about what I read. I may be wrong on this one since I have not played FFTA yet.

Xander
03-24-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Gau

Yay, you rock.

CactuarKing
03-24-2004, 06:33 PM
I happened to like Final Fantasy VIII very much, and still like 7 and 9. FF X was for me one of the best FF games ( I did not like the way only Yuna could use Aeons though, or the fact that we have yet another different thunder aeon after Ramuh in most of the earlier ones and Quetzecoatl in 8).

I think FFX-2 is ok, but not as good as FF X. Paine is a brilliant addition to the team with her humour and her dark past, but it misses out on something with only having the 3 characters to choose from instead of a party.

The special dressspheres are totally OTT. Talk about one woman army!!

And what did they do to the blitzball? Talk about ruining the best mini-game in the final fantasy series. It is too much like hard work levelling up all the players on your team to still get beaten comprehensively by the Al Bhed Psyches.

I liked the bikanel desert digging game though! That was a good idea!

SeeDRankLou
03-24-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Gau

ROFL!!! You're my new favorite.

aeris2001x2
03-24-2004, 07:41 PM

(Well that blows your credulity. FF's have always had ATBs, just weak ones (and when I say always I mean at least the 6 before FFX, my memory is fuzzy on the ones earlier than that). FFX is the only one to have the CTB. It was good for a game, but I'm glad they undid that.)

IT DOESNT REDUCE MY CREDIBILITY ONE BIT! sorry lol. this is a VERY DIFFERENT ATB systerm. everyone attacks at once which is what causes the chaos. this makes it pseudo real time. its very fast.

i love the other atb systerm. everyone takes there turn, there is time 2 think properly instead of button bash 2 victory. i love t5hose systerms. sometimes in ffx-2 i think i,m playing zone of ender or devil may cry.

but anyway, i said it, u said it, i,ll say it again. its opinion. here is my ff ranking list, maybe it reveal why i dont like ffx-2 that much ( note only ff i have played properly r listed, i played them all, but some not enough 2 judge)

8. ff tactics advanced
7.- ff mystic quest
6.- ff x-2
5.- ff viii
4. ff ix
3. ff x
2. ff vi
1. ffvii

m4tt
03-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Well, you know there is the pause button.. And there is the option to have the battle stop when you are looking through magic/item menus.

SeeDRankLou
03-24-2004, 09:45 PM
everyone takes there turn

Oh, I see what you're saying now. Yeah, that's how previous ATBs have been. I misinterpreted what you said, thinking that you were saying that all FF have had the CTB, nevermind. *refutes previous negative statement, hides under bed*

On a side note, if you don't like the ATB in FFX-2, you can set it to Wait and Slow, that will slow it down dramatically and give you time to think. In previous FFs I have always set the ATB to Active and Fast to make it go as fast as possible, but I can think on my feet like that. I like the exciting and intense feeling of that, which is why I like FFX-2's ATB, I haven't even set it on fast yet.

Siwolae
03-25-2004, 01:29 AM
I think FFX-2 is ok, but not as good as FF X. Paine is a brilliant addition to the team with her humour and her dark past, but it misses out on something with only having the 3 characters to choose from instead of a party.

The special dressspheres are totally OTT. Talk about one woman army!!

And what did they do to the blitzball? Talk about ruining the best mini-game in the final fantasy series. It is too much like hard work levelling up all the players on your team to still get beaten comprehensively by the Al Bhed Psyches.

I liked the bikanel desert digging game though! That was a good idea!

yep. my thoughts exactly. ^^

roflmao.

jochirin
03-25-2004, 06:41 AM
junktion sucks caus it makes the game WAY to easey. (especialy if you can play chocoboworld) so you wend up whit lvl 36 chars that can hitt kill anything whitout geting hit once even if its an ambush)

Penance99999
03-25-2004, 10:01 AM
FFX-2 crap?!?!?! Doubt that!

I have played FF6 up to FFX-2. All of them are good. I'm not joking.

CactuarKing
03-25-2004, 10:06 AM
I believe you!

Penance99999
03-25-2004, 10:10 AM
I'm not joking.

CactuarKing
03-25-2004, 10:12 AM
I said I believe you! FF6-FFx-2 myself and they are all good!

Penance99999
03-25-2004, 10:17 AM
Cool. I hate when people bitch about this and that FF being crap. It's all their opinions. In reality, none are actually crap.

Thats not my opinion btw, its a fact ;)

CactuarKing
03-25-2004, 10:19 AM
Yeah! What's with that?

Penance99999
03-25-2004, 10:31 AM
I don't know. They might not like particular aspects of the game.

Like the music might irritate them. No world map. etc etc. They blow things out of proportion and start saying its a below average game.

If you look at the work Square puts into each FF, the time it takes. You have to appreciate it.

How do they calculate what damage your characters do? How do they plan the game so that you can beat the next boss without it being impossible? How do they work out that enemies in one area will give you this much exp and will level you up for forth coming battles? Mind you they cant level you up too much that it becomes too easy.

It's actually quite mind boggling. How do they plan that you should learn this ability by then etc etc. Then they have to make attractive graphics. Fit in a good storyline. Do the CG scenes.

Not easy work. I'm not saying we should appluad them for making the effort. I'm saying, they put this much effort in and they always seem to fit everything in perfectly.

My standards arent low. I know good quality from bad. FF6-X2 are high quality titles, no doubt.

btw, I have not played FF1-5. Can't find them anywhere.

Flying Mullet
03-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Just so you know if you want to carry on a conversation there is a private messaging function in the boards as well.

*points at pm icon at bottom of posts*

Penance99999
03-26-2004, 12:00 AM
But I want everyone to see it.

Xander
03-26-2004, 12:17 AM
Mr. Mimic is right, I don't mind the discussing, but please try and keep very short "chatty" posts to a minimum, it just makes the thread too long too quick. ;)

Anyway Penance99999, your last long post totally sums up what I keep thinking about the game, and which is why I say that if the other FF's didn't exist, people probably wouldn't think FFX-2 was bad, but ah well opinions will be opinions, and I just think it's a fun game, that's all. =)

Kirobaito
03-26-2004, 01:41 AM
I didn't like the concept of it since it was released. So I've decided to not even give it a chance.

Plus I didn't like FFX that much, so I didn't want to see what its sequel would be like.

But I wouldn't say it's the WORST ff, but I could never see myself liking it, even if I played it.

aeris2001x2
03-26-2004, 10:41 AM
with the exception of ff mystic quest and ff tactics advanced, all ff's rule. but despite ff8's flaws, i loved it, and despite ffx-2's good points, it really doesnt stand up 4 me.

actually i love playing ff7 on active, but its slower then ffx-2 slow. however putting ffx-2 on slow makes me feel cheap, so i keep it on active. i,ll try and play it as it was meant 2 be, even if i dont like it much.

but ffx-2 scores extra points 4 the commesphere scenes, espicaly in the hot spring at gagazet. those scenes rocked.

"If you look at the work Square puts into each FF, the time it takes. You have to appreciate it."

i love all the numbered ff's and i appreciate credit when it is due. but despite all that went into FF spirits within, it sucked big time. i respect there efforts, but the film still sucked.

moston kid
03-26-2004, 03:37 PM
yeah the film did suck but ffx-2 didn't suck even though it is to easy but in the tunder planes the lighting towers are hard

justin92180
03-27-2004, 09:27 AM
I only have one thing to say about FFX-2: fight the last two bosses in Via Infinito, and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Ariel
03-27-2004, 10:36 AM
Is it the worst FF ever? Nope. I've only played from FFVII on, and I've liked all of them. They're all very different games, and while I have favourites, they're all still good games.

I can see why some people wouldn't enjoy FFX-2, but I did. The songs and music weren't my kind of thing, but overall, it's been a pretty fun game. It's a lot more light hearted than most of the other FFs (and RPGs overall o_o) that I've played, and it's been a nice change of pace. If I want to play something dark and moody and epic, then I'll go and play a game like that. But it's still good to have some variety. The battle system has been really fun, and the quirky little sidequests and mini-games, too. I like the dresspheres, and the faster paced battles.

It's not bad, just different. Traditional styles are nice; but some innovation can be nice, too.

01chapmanh
04-18-2004, 01:57 PM
I think dat FFX-2 was a huge success! Its ATB system works 2 perfection, and the graphics are at their best. I also think the storyline is great, it may not be epic or as good as FF7 0r FF8, but its a sequel to what did have a great story(FFX). Plus, square-enix sold loads, so i expect they r happy! :D

Del Murder
04-18-2004, 05:17 PM
I don't know, this game's prequel was worse than this. And II was pretty bad.

Casey
04-19-2004, 06:14 AM
I saw the previews, yuna turn pop star, has dual guns, wtf? Its like Square's Charlie Angels. :p But I duno, makes me wanna play it.

01chapmanh
04-19-2004, 11:47 AM
"Squares Charlies Angels" was the exact reason i bought it! Duel Guns, Dresspheres!!! Final Fantasy games needed a bit of a change and X-2 was it. Im glad square decided to make it the way it was. i admit that its a bit cheesy and camp but WHO CARES!!! Its great!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

eternalshiva
04-19-2004, 01:14 PM
I loved that game. The humour, the super girliness and the plays on Charlie's Angel made it fun, light and hilarious. Once you got past the OC-ness of not being like the other FF, it was great fun. I loved the battle systems, Yuna looks great, it matches her new personality and her new line of work. Rikku hasn;t changed and Paine is a great personality to add to the group. I enjoyed only having to wory about leveling up three people, the dresspheres acted like extra members and they took forever to level all of them up.

even the soundtrack made me laugh, the mission music sounded like a bad porn and I found myself bopping my head to it and humming it sometimes xD I loved it!

Square went for something different and it worked. It was a "girl's" final fantasy I think and it worked wonders xD Personnally I was glad to see an all female cast for once, it secretly encourages women to participate more into the gaming world >.< xB

*huggles SeedRankLou* you really get into these arguments ne? xD

SeeDRankLou
04-20-2004, 12:10 AM
even the soundtrack made me laugh, the mission music sounded like a bad porn and I found myself bopping my head to it and humming it sometimes xD I loved it!

*huggles SeedRankLou* you really get into these arguments ne? xD

Bad porn? eternalshiva, don't watch bad porn. Think of your child and the day that she inevitably finds your porn and watches it herself, you don't want her first porn experience to be bad.....( :D so joking)

Yeah, bad porn music was definately the theme for the first like 30 minutes of the game after the opening movie. Head bopping music..... ;) lol.

Yeah...the arguments give me something to do while I'm at work, makes the day go by faster.

celtcknight
04-20-2004, 06:12 AM
Britney Spear's Final Fantasy X-2

Disgracefeul, But I still enjoyed it and played through it twice.

TasteyPies
04-21-2004, 12:16 AM
I liked the thief DS but the bikini outfit they wear makes me feal naughty

Storm
04-22-2004, 07:49 PM
I'm probably one of the biggest Final Fantasy fans on the planet, but I couldn't digest more than 30 minutes of FFX-2. This was very strange, because for every other final fantasy I started playing I didn't stop for at least 5 hours. The whole "YRP" thing was so lame I almost turned my playstation off right there.

I know I have only played 30 minutes of the game, but it's too cheerful and laid back for me. Final Fantasy games, for me, are all about death and destruction...and finding hope even when it seems like everything has been lost.

Maybe one day I'll stop being such a stubborn "bog" and force myself to play the game.

01chapmanh
04-22-2004, 09:04 PM
ur crazy!!! the game was so obviously maddee to attract more females, and a younger audience. BUT, it still rocks!!! And that is no lie! If u cant play more than 30mins, u must hav sumfin seriously wrong with you. It may be lame, but the gameplays one of the best gameplays of the FF series, even though ive only played:
FF6,7,8,9,10,T,TA

eternalshiva
04-22-2004, 11:26 PM
Bad porn? eternalshiva, don't watch bad porn. Think of your child and the day that she inevitably finds your porn and watches it herself, you don't want her first porn experience to be bad.....( :D so joking)

Yeah, bad porn music was definately the theme for the first like 30 minutes of the game after the opening movie. Head bopping music..... ;) lol.

Yeah...the arguments give me something to do while I'm at work, makes the day go by faster.

*lol* Oh come on! When the mission music came on, it sounded like techno porn music xS It completely rocked xD and the tune gets stuck in your head for hours! I :love: it!

And I so did not mean the head bopping thing as a pun >.< That was completely unintentional and I didn't even realize it WAS something until you pointed it out ... dirty SRL >:/

SeeDRankLou
04-23-2004, 12:11 AM
*lol* Oh come on! When the mission music came on, it sounded like techno porn music xS It completely rocked xD and the tune gets stuck in your head for hours! I :love: it!

And I so did not mean the head bopping thing as a pun >.< That was completely unintentional and I didn't even realize it WAS something until you pointed it out ... dirty SRL >:/

Don't misunderstand, "bad porn music" does not imply bad music, it just means that the music selection really didn't go with the porn scene in the slightest. Mission music....are you talking about the one with the electric guitars? Because that one did rock.

And....I don't believe you, don't pin your dirty mind on me, don't think I don't see through that. :tongue:

TasteyPies
04-24-2004, 01:51 AM
FFx-2 isnt the worst there is.....FF2 is

<changes sig>

aeris2001x2
04-24-2004, 11:33 AM
actually i,ve changed my mind again and ff2 is good and better then ffx-2. ff2 last dungeon just pulls it right up its so fantastic, and ffx-2 last area is just...well crap.

TheLadySummoner_Yuna
04-25-2004, 11:22 PM
FFX-2 wasn't as good as FFX.. but the graphics were great ^^

haravikk
04-27-2004, 07:40 PM
I'm not sure what to make of X-2, I loved X but this one just doesn't quite compete. Firstly, the story-line, although pretty good isn't quite what I had hoped, the Leblanc syndicate was just plain annoying, it was embarrassing to have to fight them while playing in the privacy of my own home.
It didn't seem to have quite the same 'cool factor' as X did, Sin and the intro cut-scene were just plain kick-ass, in fact the whole start to X was kick-ass until you arrive in nice peaceful Besaid where things are a little quieter. X-2's start paled in comparison, firstly because the style of song wasn't really the type I can enjoy, and it was just plain confusing since none of the answers really came till later. Further to this other aspects are poorly explained, such as why the Aeons came back and so-on.

The mini-games blow ass in X-2. I actually really enjoyed/enjoy Blitzball in X, in X-2 Blitzball is a mess of bewildering stats, apparently random numbers, frustrating training/experience gaining and idiot AI. To say that playing Blitzball mk2.bad made me want to kill myself and everyone else around me wouldn't be far off. The time Square Enix spent making this new enraging style of game could have been better directed at making the original faster-paced and more in depth (e.g more teams/players and thus different levels of leagues).
The other mini-games are not a whole lot better. Although I can understand Sphere-break and am fairly good at it, I cannot however see the point behind it. It's a one player game with two players! No matter who you face it's always you that is throwing coins at a sphere, no-one else gets a turn back at your sphere (which you don't have). It's a stupid mini-game IMO.
I won't even go into the Calm Lands except that I was not impressed.

There are however similar amounts of good points, I was impressed by the dress system which I was very much of a skeptic about before. The story-line other my main gripes is fairly good, it has a nice amount of depth if you take the time to go into all the side quests and episodes. It's a very nice nostalgic game at points as well.
The story really does grip you into it, it actually has me fighting to try and get 100% so I can see the perfect ending (though with some of the crap I have to put up with for it I don't think I'll manage ever).
Graphics are superb as usual, there are some really nice cutscenes and Vegnagun, although fairly disappointing at the end was a very cool enemy to be fighting.

schapkerj
05-21-2004, 02:31 PM
i like final fantasy ix beter then ffx-2 it more fun

listentomystory
05-21-2004, 05:28 PM
for me ffx-2 was great reason being the final scene with tidus and yuna made it all worthwhile

aeris2001x2
05-21-2004, 06:37 PM
i must admit, while i felt it underminded ffX end, i loved tidus and yuna's sombre discussion at zanerkand. quite a beautiful scene that was.

SeeDRankLou
05-21-2004, 09:03 PM
I didn't feel this game undermined the end of FFX at all. No matter what ending you get for this game (except the bad one), there is one thing that remains the same, Yuna changed. Yuna was able to become the person the she wanted to be, not the person she had to be, but wanted to be. And that is all because of Tidus. Tidus had an impact on her life that extended past his passing, past his presence. The mere hope that she could see him again, the mere hope that she could have the life she wanted, changed her perception on the world, and changed her. She didn't change for Tidus, she changed because of Tidus, and no matter if she finds him or not, she ends up with a life she wouldn't trade anything for. I think FFX-2 personifies the importance that Tidus had on everyone, especially Yuna, and greatly hightens the impact that the ending of FFX had.

listentomystory
05-22-2004, 11:41 AM
i couldnt have put that better myself seedranklou, well said

aeris2001x2
05-23-2004, 02:00 AM
I didn't feel this game undermined the end of FFX at all. No matter what ending you get for this game (except the bad one), there is one thing that remains the same, Yuna changed. Yuna was able to become the person the she wanted to be, not the person she had to be, but wanted to be. And that is all because of Tidus. Tidus had an impact on her life that extended past his passing, past his presence. The mere hope that she could see him again, the mere hope that she could have the life she wanted, changed her perception on the world, and changed her. She didn't change for Tidus, she changed because of Tidus, and no matter if she finds him or not, she ends up with a life she wouldn't trade anything for. I think FFX-2 personifies the importance that Tidus had on everyone, especially Yuna, and greatly hightens the impact that the ending of FFX had.

i agree, wow, i never thought of it that way. thanks, u have really opened my eyes. :D this is why i love ff discussions on, u see ff from all angles.

TasteyPies
05-23-2004, 02:26 AM
Yeah too bad ffx-2 was a look at my boobies bounce final fantasy to rake in all the young males

aeris2001x2
05-23-2004, 02:55 AM
maybe so but why is ffX included in your sig as a moudly ff instead of ffVIII?

TasteyPies
05-23-2004, 03:11 AM
Because ff8 is the best ff there ever was

aeris2001x2
05-25-2004, 09:01 PM
wow, i never knew u were an ff8 worshipping zealot...i mean ff8 liker :D . i always assumed u were an ff6 lover.

Trumpet Thief
05-26-2004, 02:28 AM
(Many Spoilers)

Remember, all of this is just my opinion!

Yes, finally a thread that understands what I believe!

First off, FFX was better the way it ended. It beat the crap out of all those other happy endings, making it a good game. Then came along the internation version of FFX's ending, which gave Square the idea to make another sequel. So, because of that, they made change a lot, which I didn't like. I liked some of the characters they added, like Paine.

The Final boss attempt wasn't very good either.as well; Vagnanun was nothing powerful, and Shuyin being the final boss wasn't what I really wanted.

IMO FFVI beats FFX-2, but it's just my opinion. this game had some good things about it too.

The minigames were fun, like Blitzball, and Paine was awfully funny.
I agree though, I think this is the worst Final Fantasy! Just my opinion, of course!

Auron_Kotetsu
05-28-2004, 11:28 PM
Ahh, excellent. I return from a 3-month sabbatical to find one of my favorite debates ever going on. This is like Christmas in May!

I agree with the first post made. I will not lie. FFX-2 is, without any doubt in my mind, the worst FF game ever made (and I'm not including IX because it's not really a FF game, so it doesn't count). Now before you all attack, hang on a sec. I'll start by saying the things I liked about it.

The battle system. It's awesome. Finally, you get to interrupt attacks! You see an enemy power up to cast a spell, and you get a chance to kill it before it gets it off. That is fan-frickin-tastic. If you're quick, you can even Trigger Happy a charging enemy and finish him off before he gets to you. Chaining attacks is brilliant, as well. I've thought about it, and it makes sense that one's guard would go down somewhere if he were receiving 3 attacks at once.

The Dressphere/Garment Grid system. I'm only just becoming a fan of this, now that I've read some FAQs and figured out how it all works (on my second playing). It's a really interesting way to develop a character's abilities, and is a really great answer to the complaint that development in X was too structured, and allowed for no personalization - at least, if you played the US version, which I did.

The Mission system. Another great response to one of the hugest criticisms of FFX: that it forced you to play it in a certain way. You certainly have the run of all Spira in this game, whenever you want. (I enjoyed going back to Bevelle repeatedly after siding with the Youth League, just to trounce all the silly Yevonites with their silly helmets -heh heh)

But, sadly, you can put all the garnish you want on your burger, and it still won't be a steak. While the mechanics of this game are irrefutably excellent, the game itself is so bad that it doesn't deserve to boast them.

Now, when I talk about this, keep in mind that I'm talking about X2 in terms of FF games, NOT video games in general. As a rule, FF's have higher standards than other video games, and are thus more critically judged.

For starters, I COMPLETELY agree with the point that the game is made up entirely of forgettable fluff characters. One of my favorite things about FF games is that EVERY character in the game develops over its course, and comes out different than they started. That doesn't seem to be the case here. First of all, they ruined Brother. Where's the stoic Al Bhed tattooed badass who use to threaten Tidus and throw down in the Blitz sphere (remember how great he was)?! And who the hell is this homoerotic, flamboyant, flapping, unprofessional, whining, shrieking, overgrown six-year-old (sorry if I offended any six-year-olds out there) who they're telling me is the same guy? No way. I'm sorry. Nuh-uh. Rikku just sucks. She's awful. I've never encountered a more poorly developed main character. I guess they figured when they were making X2, "Well, hell, we developed her enough in X! She doesn't need any more in this game. Just throw her in a bikini and give her dreads!" Bzzzt. Wrong. I could have cared less if Rikku had gotten shot in the head at any point in this game - except that then I'd be short a body in battle. Yuna completely fails to actually change. You can take the summoner out of the temple, it seems, but you can't take the temple out of the summoner. Put her in a halter top and biker shorts and she's still a wishy-washy irritant.
I'll take a break on Paine. She's actually interesting--which probably has a lot to do with the fact that, oops, she's the only really new major character in this whole game! Thus, her backstory is intriguing, especially now that I'm playing it for the second time and finding out a lot more.

The way this game plays is another bone I've got to pick. You CAN NOT do it without a walkthrough. CAN NOT. If you try, you'll just end up getting, oh, I don't know, 60% completion at the end, shall we say ;). That's what happened to me, sort of. Actually what happened is that I got so disheartened when I reached Chapter 5 with 3 l. 42 characters, and 54% completion, that I shrugged and played VIII for a couple months to keep from killing myself. Yes, that's right. I turned to VIII to regain faith in the FF title, and was even considering going back to IX - but I wasn't that desperate.

The plot. Oh, God, the plot. Alright, I'll give you that the plot twist in Ch 3 Bevelle Underground was awesome. I even said so out loud the first time I saw it (though killing B. in 10 hits was pretty sad, considering my B. was WAY better than that... *sigh*). But once that was over, you're back to the same old crap. Jouncing all over the world and doing completely random, unrelated things. See, FF games are supposed to be epic. They're supposed to be dark. The world is supposed to be in danger, and they're about finding hope where there isn't any. This game was... fluff. A few chicks running around, singing and dancing and having a gay old time. Remember Auron, who chose to live as a dead man to ensure the safety of his world? Remember Kimahri, who saw his race butchered at the hands of a madman? And speaking of madmen, remember Seymour? What an amazingly developed character - especially if you really played deep into X.

Here, we have a plot that's so small and specific, it really doesn't matter. The people you play as are already established as heroes, so it doesn't matter whether you succeed or not. Except for Paine. Poor Paine. Supposedly there's some threat that's going to destroy the world... but then why is everyone so happy? Why aren't they living in fear of it? I mean, come on. This is Spira. These people are great at living in fear - they've been doing it for 1,000 years! Lots of practice, and all that. Basically, you end up with a storyline that doesn't know what it wants to accomplish, and so ends up being annoying, confusing, and at times, just plain dumb.

The few good characters who have any real potential are either glossed over, or treated with so little seriousness that you cease to care. Ormi and Logos, for example. Oh, and how about Nooj, Gippal, and Baralai? I'd like to see them as party members, not NPC's. What a waste.

There's another problem. With so many abilities to be learned, a 3-person party just doesn't work. There are WAY too many dresspheres and not nearly enough characters to be using them. Seriously, with this much stuff to learn, I can see at least a 6-person party, and a 4-person battle system (it's been done -remember VI?) being used to spread all that out. Oh, and the same with Garment Grids. I think I've only actually placed Dresspheres into about 10 of my Garment Grids; the rest are just sitting there, not worth using. More people in the party = more stuff getting used, and therefore more of a challenge to equip everyone right.

Special dresspheres are so cumbersome that the first time I played, I only used each of them once to see what they looked like, and then never used them again. I don't care how powerful they are; when you get right down to it, it's just another job class whose abilities need to be learned--and what's more, the other party members can't even learn anything while the one's doing that.

What else, what else... Ah, yes. There are NO good mini-games in this game. In every other FF there's been one that I've enjoyed (I still love playing cards!) to at least some small degree. Not so here. Once I got over the fact that "Reptile Run" is a cute version of Frogger, it was over. They've managed to completely ruin Blitzball (which I really liked in X), and none of the new ones are any good either. Forgive me if I don't elaborate; I'm running out of stamina for this topic.

The music blows. Period. I honestly wish they'd just left it the way it was - this new funky-hip crap does nothing for me. Bring back Nobuo Uematsu, this new guy is terrible. Boo. Oh, and what is this pap about the graphics being incredible?? NEWSFLASH, PEOPLE: THEY'RE EXACTLY THE SAME AS THEY WERE IN X!!! Yeesh!

I disliked the fact that they didn't actually bother to make any new landscapes or enemies; instead we get jumbled re-paints of the same old stuff. The aquatic fiends in Macalania forest - they were a nice touch. Desperate much? And how come Yuna doesn't do any swimming? We already know Rikku's a swimmer, and at the end of X Yuna said she could hold her breath for two minutes already. I would have liked some underwater scenes. Little things like this make for a weak, flat game with too many plot holes, and that's exactly what this title was.

If your personal taste leads you to think of this as a good FF game, congratulations--but it's not. It's fun, yes. You can have a good time playing it. It could even be thought to be a great game, if you've had the right brain surgery done beforehand. But under no circumstances is it a great - or even a good - FF title; in fact, I'd say that all the debilitating deviations from the norm make it a shoe-in for Worst Final Fantasy Ever.

'Nuff said.

Ragnar[PT]
05-29-2004, 12:28 PM
In terms of graphics of course it's not the worst, but the game's story is purelly for covering certain plot holes and the gameplay and battle musics are my least fav in all FFs. Maybe Square Enix will learn with this one to not make FF sequels. (at least not in games)

Trumpet Thief
05-29-2004, 05:19 PM
I agree 100%.

Ultima Shadow
05-30-2004, 03:59 PM
I agree 100%.
Me to.

Michiru
05-30-2004, 04:23 PM
Yeah too bad ffx-2 was a look at my boobies bounce final fantasy to rake in all the young males

Ah, the endless argument that Final Fantasy X-2 is aired for young horny males, how I love this, well, here's my argument. Square, like any other company, make products for money. They really don't care if you enjoy them or not, as long does good in sales, they really could care less, Final Fantasy IX is one example of this, Did poor in sales, but is still liked by many people. Final Fantasy VII, hailed the greatest RPG ever, was really nothing more then a pawn just to make money, and fanboys who think Square made it because they care for fans are wrong in that aspect, which is true in many ways.

SeeDRankLou
06-01-2004, 06:45 PM
If your personal taste leads you to think of this as a good FF game, congratulations--but it's not.

Don't say that as if it's fact, because frankly it's not. Neither is the notion that it is an awesome game very worthy of the title Final Fantasy. It's all just opinion. It's great that you have that opinion, I have one that's rather opposite (as you may have read earlier). Neither of us (or anyone else) are right or wrong. And really, the only thing that makes a game worthy of the title Final Fantasy is Square making Final Fantasy the title of the game.

Square has the right to make a sequel if they want. They're a business, and they made quite a bit of money on this game. If anything, they've learned that making a sequel isn't that bad of a notion.

Auron_Kotetsu
06-10-2004, 03:14 AM
And really, the only thing that makes a game worthy of the title Final Fantasy is Square making Final Fantasy the title of the game.

Bzzt. Wrong. If FF was a fledgling title series that had yet to establish itself as a certain brand of game, then yes, I'd agree with you 100% on this point. But we're now 10 games in, and each one has been a play experience of a certain sort (again, I'm not counting X-2, for aforementioned reasons, nor XI, because it's not really a FF game) that is similar to those that came before.

To draw a comparison, let's take another big-name iconic title. Suppose (and pardon me if this is getting too geeky) Marvel comics decided to put out a comic book entiled The New X-Men in which the characters were all high-schoolers with superpowers, whose interactions never went beyond an Archie kind of scale. Would it be an X-men book? There's a point at which a title takes on its own personality, and it is then the responsibility of its producers to remain loyal to that personality (which Square didn't), or risk alienating fans (which they have).

Nobody had better bother me about going off-topic with the comic book thing. It's called an analogy; I was making a point.

01chapmanh
06-10-2004, 07:31 AM
Ahhhh, thats rich, FFXI - 'Not really an FF game'. What the hell are you talking about!!! Its got the title, its an RPG, and its really really really good. It has every right to be. And why are you not including X-2. It has the best ATB system, and the graphics are amazing. It does lack the deep story of the other FF's, but its a sequel. You should try making a better storyline to a sequel to FFX, i bet it wont be half as good. some of you guys just need to wake up and realize its just a game thats fun to play. And just because it wasn't quite as good as the others, don't go degrading it, cos sum of us actually loved the game. :greenie:

Meatwad
06-10-2004, 11:20 AM
i think it is pretty bad line up

Squall and Rinoa
06-10-2004, 11:53 AM
What I absolutely love about these type of threads is that there is one made about each Final Fantasy title somewhere down the line. I have news for any of you. Not all people share your opinion.

I could anger MANY people and say that Final Fantasy 7 was the worst Final Fantasy ever, and to me it is, but - not all people share my opinion. Why? I don't know why people like the game.

It's just like 8. 8 is my favorite, but a LOT of people don't like it. That's fine really. I'm not too concerned about what others think about something I like, you know?

In terms of this being the worst title? I doubt it by far. Honestly, I judged the game too quickly, before I bought it, I thought the characters looked like trashy sluts. In a sense, I still do XD, but the fact of the matter is, the game is better than I had expected. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but that's how I feel.

Thus is the beauty of personal opinion. In everyone's mind, each game sucks to a certain degree, but why should X 2 be the one to be the worst? I highly doubt there are feasible reasons.

aeris2001x2
06-10-2004, 06:30 PM
[QUOTE=Squall and Rinoa]What I absolutely love about these type of threads is that there is one made about each Final Fantasy title somewhere down the line. I have news for any of you. Not all people share your opinion.

QUOTE]

i dont recall anyone ever saying ffI,ffIV or ffVI were the worst. i personally think those who hate ffVII r crazy but i also cant see a reason why ffI ffIV ffVI would ever be called the worst either. on the other hand ffVIII,IX,X get lots. personally i think the only ff of crapness is ffII...* gets smacked by eoff members sick of anti ffII rantings*

Ultima Shadow
06-10-2004, 06:47 PM
Well, FFX2 is the worst FF I have played trough... I never finiched FFII and haven't played FFIII yet.

SeeDRankLou
06-10-2004, 08:29 PM
There's a point at which a title takes on its own personality, and it is then the responsibility of its producers to remain loyal to that personality (which Square didn't), or risk alienating fans (which they have).

In making Final Fantasy games, Square has always changed something about each new game, always. And now that they change things that you don't like, suddenly it's not worthy. Psht. I remember when they made FFVIII and how everyone was complaining about the junction system and how the story was in large part a love story and how they focused mostly on just Squall and Rinoa, and that was an awesome game. And no one complained about FFX straying from the norm in so many ways it's not funny. FFX just changed in ways that a lot of people liked. FFVII had it's fair share of changes as well, and we all love that game. FFIX is basically the emodiment of the FF "personality," and quite a few people don't like that game. One of the basic characteristics of Final Fantasy games is that there is something fundamentally different about every game. That's how this series is so good and has stayed popular for so long, they don't give us the same thing over and over garnished with different characters and settings. Don't expect them to stop straying from the norm because they always will, in varying ways and degrees. There is a basic--very basic--commonality among all of these games, and as long as that is present (which it always has been), Square can put Final Fantasy on any game they wish, and it is so. FFXI is quite the Final Fantasy game. And I can think of several games that Square hasn't put Final Fantasy on that would be good to the series.

And even if you don't count FFX-2 and FFXI, there are still 13 or 14 games in the series. Don't forget Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS1. And there were some Gameboy games called Final Fantasy Legends, and there were at least two of them, if not three or four.

And if I haven't stayed on topic I will now....FFX-2 rocks!!!

omnislasher
06-11-2004, 01:17 AM
I've found that if there's one thing that ff games are good with, its pure emotion. and this game is no exception. Me and my friends who have played this game agree that yunapalooza is the most emotionally charged part of the game, and may be the best part. I havent gotten the perfect ending yet, but I plan to pretty soon. I'm just hoping that all this work will pay off.... IT BETTER!

Dark_Cloud_FF7
06-23-2004, 08:12 PM
id say it whould b ffx-2 even people say ffx is better
ffx-2 the lvl up thing is like on crack

ForgottenAngel
06-23-2004, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't call it the WORST FF ever, tho Yuna's Hotpants Adventure (as it has....affectionatly...been called on other forums) won't be winning the award for best FF anytime soon. It really had a lot of good things about it like....ermm, gimme a minute...well, I did like the battle system, the graphics were great, and I loved the perfect ending.

Unfortunatly its bad story, HORRIFIC music and overall lack of origianlity make it a pretty face in the crowd and nothing more.
I'd say play it if you've played X, then sell the damn thing while it's still worth something. It may be an FF, but by no means did it measure up.

square_is_the_best
06-24-2004, 01:15 AM
X-2 is my favorite FF. No joke.

A lot of you say that X-2 strays from the norm. Just what is this norm? Sorry, but I missed that memo.

It also seems to me that people hate FFs that are different from their favorite FFs. They will insult every FF that is not their favorite. And they seem to expect another FF that is exactly the same. But thats just boring. What exactly do you people want?

Every FF sets its own standard but people can still have favorites.

aeris2001x2
06-24-2004, 11:05 PM
no i just wanted the game to retain a ffX feel as a true sequal should.

anyone i think the game is crap 4 RATIONAL reasons. i want each ff 2 be different and could,nt care less how much it changes. i only ask 4 QUALITY.

still it is a very fun game. i would,nt have got 100% it it was not entertaining. and no its not the worst...

Dark_Cloud_FF7
06-26-2004, 05:35 AM
Its not to bad but not to good jus not ehough game ply cuse of the sense

Beatrix Leonhart
06-26-2004, 11:59 PM
This my opinion, I really didn't like ff4 to much.

louby_4eva
07-04-2004, 05:42 PM
I've only read up to page 3, (Cos there's 10 pages and I can't be bothered to read em all) but does everyone hate ff8? I totally love it. :love: I know this is a ffx-2 forum thing but I was just wonderin'. I always thought that ff8 was the best, and I'm seriously amazed at all the things ppl have sed about it. I'm sooooooo confused :confused: I really dont understand y u dont like ff8.

Del Murder
07-04-2004, 06:45 PM
You should check out the FFVIII Forum if you want to know why people do/don't like it. There is a thread in there about just that.

Trumpet Thief
07-06-2004, 09:07 PM
After reading some of the posts, and replaying the game, I have changed my perspective on Final Fantasy X-2.

Although, personally I loved the ending of Final Fantasy X, thanks to SRL and the other posters, I found the true meaning of X-2, which is for Yuna to change.

Still, I would have preferred it that there wasn't a sequel, but whatever.

ninja-yuffie
07-21-2004, 11:24 AM
i know this sounds stupid cos its ff X-2 room but i think 10-2s the worst
A=they over react i mean CUM ON!! brother aint supposed to b that way
B=sum of the musics dodgey

Mr. Rothgar
07-22-2004, 07:49 PM
The problem is in the nature of a sequel--everyone loved the first game and everyone always wants to see what happpens to their favorite characters after teh end of the game--but unless its very very VERY well done it always leaves us wanting more of what we liked about the first one--granted FF-X2 did a very good job recconnecting us with the whole tidus/yuna thing--it was way too easy--the missiosn were dumb--it was like an over the top Charlies angels--they changed what we wanted to stay the same--and didnt go far enough with the plot--Vegnagun was the worst final boss ever and shuyin didnt have enough of an effect on the plot--bottom line they oculd have gotten a lot more creative with ways to go about bring tidus back and they didnt--they had the oppurtunity and they fanned on it--just like they did with chrono trigger--they were able to make a very good game--even more of a sequel than chrono cross was (someone finally used the same characters in more than one game)--but just like in chrono cross they separated the game too much--they left our desire for more information--more plot--more interaction of the characters we liked unfulfilled--its not that FFX2 failed as a game--it failed as a sequel--on the whle it was an average game--no better no worse---but with the relationship and associations that Square had already built for us in FFX--they could have performed a million times better--just as they sould have in chrono cross

Rand Al'Tor
07-31-2004, 10:37 PM
I liked it. I was surprised at it but I liked it. And I havent even seen the perfect ending yet.

As for the 'this isn't a final fantasy' callers. Pardon me, but who are YOU to say what makes a 'final fantasy' As has been said before, Squaresoft changes stuff. I have to say, if they had made Final Fantasy X-2 a 'Yuna angsts about how much she misses Tidus and the world is STILL a bad place even after we saved it in FFX game, I would have liked it less. Heck, I like FF VII and VIII (for some reason, while I don't think FFVI is BAD, it never did much for me, and IX is also somethin I have mixed feelings over) but after a while, you've just abouyt had all the 'gloom and doom' you can take. I find it a good show of Squaeresoft that they showed they could make something more upbeat.It did startle me, and the beginning song witrh Faux-Yuna's song had some 'turn-off qualities' but after you stoo^p trying to think of it as 'an epic story' Who says Final Fantasy HAS to be eipic anyway?

No big fan of the music though.

But I can understand that some people are majorly turned off. That's okay. It's a very different Final Fantasy from the usual fare, and some people won't like it. But I ask you, what is the objective measure for 'quality of a game'? Graphics (Nope, according to some people good graphics is almost a CRIME for a FF. Maybe Square should go back to 8-bit) complicated plots (more complicated and bigger is always better? Can simple stories not be as good as complicated ones) characters that you care about but that's a sujective thing right from the start. I care no two figs about Celes for example but would have liked to see more of Gau, major dissapointement in VI for me there, but I disgres))

Lots of people like FFX-2... So either Squaresoft has made a good game that you don't like (like someone can make a PERFECT carrot stew that someone who dislikes carrots will not be able to stomach) or all of us that like FFX-2 have 'bad taste'