PDA

View Full Version : Let's face it this isn't final fantasy

gokufusionss1
03-23-2004, 07:32 PM
i reconigse nothing final fantasy about this game, lets all admit it's a RPG given a name to push it's public persona

Mr_Bojangless
03-24-2004, 12:33 AM
I do feel that it's not a true final fantasy game, however it does incorporate things from other final fantasy's, that mainly being the enemies. But overall, I'd say that they are using the name mainly to sell the game.

TheAbominatrix
03-24-2004, 12:34 AM
As everyone has said about XI and X-2. Blah blah blah Square's just in it for the money blah blah blah.

How dare they try something new!

DJZen
03-24-2004, 12:35 AM
It's not an RPG. It's an adventure game. Anyway, what constitutes a final fantasy game? The theme, gameplay and plot changes pretty drastically from game to game. In fact, it can be argued to an extent that the only Final Fantasy games PERIOD are FF1, 3 and 5.

Mr_Bojangless
03-24-2004, 12:42 AM
Well I feel that should it have the final fantasy name, it should incorporate things from other final fantasies. Which this game does. It has moogles and enemies such as the malboro. Although overall, it just doesn't seem like it should have the final fantasy name. Sure it's good sqaure enix is doing something new, but do they have to give it the name Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicals? they could have given it a different name.

TheAbominatrix
03-24-2004, 12:47 AM
They should be free to call their creations what they will, to experiment and try new things. Everytime they stray from the formula, people complain. Whenever they keep to the formula, there's people complaining that they're stale and they've lost touch. Basically, no matter what they do, they're wrong and money-grubbing and really should have called the game something other than Final Fantasy.

Mr_Bojangless
03-24-2004, 12:52 AM
It's not that they are wrong, or money grubbing. Sure giving the game the name Final Fantasy is most likely to boost sales. I just feel that maybe they should use a different name since it's a different type of game. I'm not against them using it for sales, nor am I saying that that's what they ARE infact doing. Final Fantasy is just a sort of genre even, and this game jsut doesn't seem to fit.

Del Murder
03-24-2004, 05:48 AM
I have only played a little bit but I agree. It doesn't fit. It's the action element really, no FF was purely action based, they all involved selectiong menu commands. So I can see where that feeling would come from.

This is kind of like when Square released FF Legend and FF Adventure for Game Boy. Use the name and the genre to sell more titles when they were released as something else in Japan. Then again, maybe 'Final Fantasy' describes the developers rather than the game series, and they just add that moniker to whatever they make. But to me it doesn't feel right.

omnitarian
03-24-2004, 08:09 PM
Squenix didn't 'tack on' the FF name in order to boost sales. No intelligent game company would ever (consistently) throw their name around for a quick buck. The only way to earn the consumer's trust is to make high quality games, and that's what they do. It's obvious that they spent time and effort to craft a good, albeit unique, entry into their Final Fantasy series. And anybody who doesn't see that just isn't looking hard enough.

Mr_Bojangless
03-25-2004, 12:39 AM
I'm sure they did put quite a bit of effort into making Crystal Chronicals, however it isn't in the series, the series are followed by roman numerals. Crystal Chronicals is a whole new game. Yes again it does incorporate some final fantasy aspects. But it doesn't follow in the series. Final Fantasy is not the name of the company, Square Enix is the name of the company, they don't need to add Final Fantasy to every game they make.

omnitarian
03-27-2004, 05:49 PM
If it had been given a roman numeral and thrown into the fray, I could see where you could complain that it throws things off. But it's not like that at all. Of course it's not the same as the others. It's not supposed to be.

Del Murder
03-27-2004, 05:58 PM
That's true. The different title may be good enough.

Mr_Bojangless
03-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Yeah I do see where my above logic is flawed there. I suppose that having no roman numeral is good enough. Although also that was part of my point. That since it doesn't have a numeral, then they don't necessarily need the FF name. But if I were to keep that logic, I'd have to be against FF: Tactics, and believe me, I'm not against it.

DJZen
03-28-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by omnitarian
Squenix didn't 'tack on' the FF name in order to boost sales. No intelligent game company would ever (consistently) throw their name around for a quick buck.

Final Fantasy Adventure isn't a Final Fantasy game, it's the first of the Seiken Densetsu series, known here as the Mana series (Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, etc.) and was recently (sort of) remade as Sword of Mana. Final Fantasy Legend, Legend 2 and Legend 3 were also not Final Fantasy games, they were the original SaGa games, which moved on to the SFC (Romancing SaGa), PS1 (Saga Frontier) and most recently, the PS2 (Unlimited SaGa). So yes, Square WOULD just tack on the FF name. Not that I don't like those games though.... :D

Advent Child
03-28-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by TheAbominatrix
As everyone has said about XI and X-2. Blah blah blah Square's just in it for the money blah blah blah.

How dare they try something new!
Yeah, and that's as opposed to the companies who start purely for the benefit of the customer.;)

omnitarian
03-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by DJzen
Final Fantasy Adventure isn't a Final Fantasy game, it's the first of the Seiken Densetsu series, known here as the Mana series (Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, etc.) and was recently (sort of) remade as Sword of Mana. Final Fantasy Legend, Legend 2 and Legend 3 were also not Final Fantasy games, they were the original SaGa games, which moved on to the SFC (Romancing SaGa), PS1 (Saga Frontier) and most recently, the PS2 (Unlimited SaGa). So yes, Square WOULD just tack on the FF name. Not that I don't like those games though.... :D

I was considering bringing that up. I'm fairly sure the name-tack for the Legend games was Sunsoft's fault. I know that they published them in NA. But I could be wrong. If so, I can bail out on my use of the word "consistently". :p

DJZen
04-01-2004, 05:59 AM
Sunsoft handled the re-release. I think Nintendo actually published the original. Anyway, one can hardly blame the publisher, they have just about nothing to do with what actually goes into the game itself.

Square WAS consistently tacking on the FF name, actually. We didn't have any SaGa games in NA that weren't called Final Fantasy until SaGa Frontier came out. In case you're wondering, SGF was the 7th game in the series. Also, play the Japanese version of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Observe how the title screen does not say Final Fantasy anywhere on it. I don't think that FFCC had the FF name tacked onto it just to boost sales, just pointing out that you really can't say that Square wouldn't do something like that, because they can, they will, and they have. Also, just for the record, I consider both FFCC and FFMQ part of the FF series, and actually enjoy them quite a bit.

TheAbominatrix
04-01-2004, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Advent Child
Yeah, and that's as opposed to the companies who start purely for the benefit of the customer.;)

My point exactly. :D

Xander
04-14-2004, 09:54 PM
I recognise lots of Final Fantasy things about this game. The moogles, the enemies, the music. The whole thing, besides gameplay has a very FFIX feel to me - the music, character design and locations plus the whole moogle mail thing.

The gameplay itself feels like a simplified Baldurs Gate mixed with Kingdom Hearts, and it certainly doesn't play like a normal series Final Fantasy game, but I think it does deserve the name. I played some FF:CC and it still has so many FF elements and an FF feel to it, it's different, but it's a refreshing change.

To me the only thing so far that didn't deserve the FF name on it was The Spirits Within because it didn't have anything to do with any game and just was too totally different to be called FF in my opinion. I guess the term "Final Fantasy" means different things to different people, but to me a big part of FF is the cute creatures, music and character design and the general feel of the game, not just how it plays. So yeah I see no reason not to call this Final Fantasy.

DJZen
04-17-2004, 04:40 AM
I thought the music was VERY different from other FF games. Maybe that's just me, I dunno. It woulda been awesome if Amano had designed the monsters, Nomura had designed the characters and Uematsu had done the music, but oh well. I still feel the need to point out that the only FF games that have anything to do with each other are FFX and FFX-2. Cloud made a cameo in FF Tactics. That's really pretty much it. Aside from that what makes it Final Fantasy is basically just 'cause Square says it is. If Square wanted to release a FPS set in the distant future with no swords or sorcery and a plot only big enough to give us an excuse for violence, I guess it'd be a FF game. Fortunately, this is not as radical of a departure, sorta like that Penny Arcade where they pointed out how worse things could be done with the Metroid franchise than releasing a FPS game. For example, a text based Metroid game.

Deri
09-26-2004, 03:17 PM
I haven't played FFCC yet, but it sounds like a cool game even though it is action RPG and not menu driven like the rest of the FF series. But I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be called FF just because it's different from the rest of the series. Zelda has always been an action oriented adventure/RPG but what if Nintendo released a Zelda game that had more RPG elements in it like menus, character stats, HP, MP, weapon upgrades, etc. Would a games like this deserve the Zelda name just because it was taken in a new direction from the standard hack 'n slash Zelda game? What if Link was the only thing that it had in common with other Zelda games (and Soul Caliber 2 doesn't count) I mean, Link gets caught up in to a parallel world way from Hyrule. A land with completely different monsters to fight, and a ATB style of battle system. I think that would be a great game worthy of the Zelda name. FFCC is no different imo. They may have strayed from the tradional FF formula but it's still worthy of the FF name. I would like to check this game out myself, but for now I'm currently playing FFV, VII, and X

BlueCloud
10-09-2004, 04:12 PM
i didnt like crystal chronicles the battle system was completely different it would have been better if there was the old turn time battle system.

DJZen
10-09-2004, 08:00 PM
I don't see anyone complaining about how Paper Mario doesn't play like Donkey Kong.

abrojtm
10-09-2004, 08:16 PM
To me, this game is much more of a Seiken Dentetsu game than an FF-I think they should've called it Secret of Mana 5: The Crystal Chronicles or something to that effect.

Homer the Reaper
10-11-2004, 11:38 AM
This a final fantasy game it may not have the same stuff in but it is

TasteyPies
10-12-2004, 11:03 PM
I'm going to work on a Pac-man spinoff and call it Super mario slamma jamma.

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-19-2004, 12:12 AM
Moogles? Check

Made by Squaresoft? Check

Final Fantasy in title? Check

Looks like a Final Fantasy to me.

DJZen
10-19-2004, 03:37 AM
Superfluous tie-ins to the rest of the series? Check.

System of character development? Check.

Interesting story? Check.

Eye candy? Check.

Fire/Thunder/Blizzard spell system? Check.

Why are we still even discussing this?

Trumpet Thief
10-23-2004, 07:49 PM
Grimace: I found it okay... Near the end when battling Pheonix it really got good, and that's when the name "Crystal Chronicles" really came into play. Although, I found it a bit tedious, and long. *topples over*

MrDziekuje
11-21-2004, 02:43 PM
I like it...mabey that's just cuz i'm really really good at it though.

:strut: