PDA

View Full Version : Are the FFs set in the same world?

Fredde
03-24-2004, 10:00 AM
This question came up a while ago on another board I visited, so I wondered what you think. Here's the "proof" mentioned:

If you study the maps, it looks like the continents have drifted between the games (can't see that myself tough).

The first FFs have crystals. In FFV those crystals are destroyed and aren't seen again (again, I can't confirm this since I haven't played ALL FFs).

The obvious same species/names/jobs/artifacts/summons.

There might have been some arguments that I forgot...

Personally, I don't think they're set in the same world. What do you think?

Bahamut2000X
03-24-2004, 11:40 AM
Thier not. Each one takes place on seperate world.

If you study the maps, it looks like the continents have drifted between the games

*checks maps*

Umm maybe if you have a insane imagination then ya, they did drift, but if you have a mind that views things normally, then no, they don't look similar, just like a bunch of random land scapes put together.

Where did you hear this from by the way?

Del Murder
03-24-2004, 06:01 PM
They aren't, but you never know. The Japanese are notorious for having unnecessary plot connections and twists in their stories.

Nait
03-24-2004, 08:14 PM
If the world of Final Fantasy indeed are in continuum with eachother, so far as to have their continents change place, the time-scale is geographical and the question therefore irrelevant.

On a side-note, many FFs have myths of the beginning of their world, many which seem accurate, that is, Hyne in FFVIII and all that... Ok, can't think of anything else, but it's THERE, ok?

And all the magics are different and stuff.

Kirobaito
03-24-2004, 08:54 PM
I guarantee you that FFX and FFX-2 are set in the same world.

DJZen
03-25-2004, 03:50 AM
The magic actually stays very similar from game to game. So do abilities for the most part. I think the only argument you could make about the games taking place on the same world that makes sense would have to involve continents magically changing.

Xander
03-25-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by King Bahamut
I guarantee you that FFX and FFX-2 are set in the same world.

*giggles*

zacks_clone
03-25-2004, 05:14 PM
alot of people (on message boards and site I have visted) claim to believe Zell to be Tifa Lockhart and Cloud Strifes child,or grandshild.This would mean that ff7 and ff8 took place in the same world. Over 2 generations,I dont believe that everything could change so much as it did.Besides that, FF7 would seem like a game that should come after ff8,despite the order of release.

FfX and FFx-2 def. were in the same world.Go figure.

IX could possibly be the same world as that of 7 or 8, because of the time diffrance(medevil to scifi).Is this likely?Probly not.

FF: CC could have been the same world as IX,but hightly unlikely.

all the games I have played.they are diffrent worlds I believe,despite any hints,things we assume, and other such evidence (like the biggs and wedge in every game,or mentioning Soldier) that we may pick up on.They were made by the same company,and I believe that things like Soldier being mentioned are merely there to excite fans.Not in the same worlds.

DocFrance
03-25-2004, 08:07 PM
Well, there's already been the rumor of a cnnection between FFX-2 and FFVII, correct? So there's a starting point, at least. I also have a theory that the four Huge Materia in FFVII eventually become the four Crystals, so that opens up a lead in to FFI, FFIII, FFIV, and/or FFV.

DJZen
03-26-2004, 03:29 AM
I like to entertain the thought that the worlds are separated, but used to be connected like in KH :D

DocFrance
03-26-2004, 06:11 AM
I just think it's the same world, only seperated over thousands of years.

DJZen
03-27-2004, 02:35 AM
It would take MILLIONS of years for the planet to change that drastically, meaning there'd have to be billions and billions of years worth of tectonic activity. I don't think the planet would live long enough.

DocFrance
03-27-2004, 05:31 AM
It didn't take long at all for the worlds of FFV and FFVI to be completely rearranged... for you see, there's this thing called *gasp* MAGIC! Who says this world has to behave by the same laws that ours does?

This is Final Fantasy, after all, not Final Fact.

Bahamut2000X
03-27-2004, 12:25 PM
I'm still gonna thionk of them as seperate worlds, why? Because if they get that many damn problems with psychopaths trying to end the world, then well that worlds has problems. Currently 11 evil bad guys attempting to rule/destroy the world and counting.

I just think it's more realistic if it's on seperate worlds. Rather then one with all these problems.

DocFrance
03-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Bahamut2000X
I'm still gonna thionk of them as seperate worlds, why? Because if they get that many damn problems with psychopaths trying to end the world, then well that worlds has problems. Currently 11 evil bad guys attempting to rule/destroy the world and counting. It wouldn't be that odd if these villains were seperated over thousands of years.

Fredde
03-27-2004, 06:44 PM
Well, there would have to be a lot of years between the games to make sure that everyone in the world forgets what happened in the last game completely. I mean, Jesus died about 2000 years ago, and we still remember him.

DocFrance
03-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Yes, but Jesus is also the most powerful GF the center of a major religion. I doubt any Christians are going to forget Him. But hardly anyone remembers Alexander the Great, who was a psychopath and did try to take over the world. Sure, there are some people who do remember him, but give it another millenium or two and I'm sure no one will.

Kirobaito
03-28-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by DocFrance
Yes, but Jesus is also the most powerful GF.

xD

DocFrance
03-28-2004, 02:14 AM
God: I summon Jesus, the most powerful GF! Jesus, die for their sins!

The Gospel according to Squall?

Inuyasha23
03-28-2004, 02:15 AM
think about it. if your world is almost destroyed every two and a half years you dont bother to rebuild anything. and the crystles ar also in mystic quest.

Wouldnt the same hero's be around??? maybe it's like a lufia situation

DJZen
03-28-2004, 02:55 AM
I never played the Lufia series, which situation is that?

DocFrance
03-28-2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Inuyasha23
think about it. if your world is almost destroyed every two and a half years you dont bother to rebuild anything. and the crystles ar also in mystic quest.

Wouldnt the same hero's be around??? maybe it's like a lufia situation Obviously, there's much more than two and a half years in between each game. That's the point I've been trying to make this whole time.

TasteyPies
03-28-2004, 03:39 AM
Jebus should be the last summoned creature in FF28, you have to summon him to beat lucifius

Kirobaito
03-28-2004, 03:47 AM
God: I summon Jesus, the most powerful GF! Jesus, die for their sins!

The Gospel according to Squall?

No, the Gospel according to Squall was apparently, "I summon, Jesus, the most powerful GF! Jesus, make them bleed!"

That's just humorous.

Anyway, no. They're not in the same worlds. Besides FFX and FFX-2. I can't stress that enough.

Fredde
03-28-2004, 09:37 AM
Yes, but Jesus is also the most powerful GF the center of a major religion. I doubt any Christians are going to forget Him. But hardly anyone remembers Alexander the Great, who was a psychopath and did try to take over the world. Sure, there are some people who do remember him, but give it another millenium or two and I'm sure no one will.

Now that I think about it, there has been quite many psychos wanting to take over our world. Alexander, Caesar, Hannibal, Napoleon, Hitler...(doesn't want to get political, so doesn't mention any present leaders). And we've got big fat history books written about each one of them. Shouldn't it be the same in the FF world(s)?

ChibiInuYasha
03-29-2004, 10:34 PM
I think it's very possible/fun to ponder, FF's taking place on teh same world. I must admit, a year ago I would have slapped anyone who said so but alot of signs do indeed point to it. If this is the case, which came first? I'm pointing toward X seeing as how word is lately that VII took place years after X and X-2 and the Huge Materia in VII became the four crystal and then came I and II. If this is the case, just think of what Squenix holds instore for future FF's.

DocFrance
03-29-2004, 11:28 PM
I still wish they'd make a final one that "wraps them all up," so to speak.

nickwilson
04-01-2004, 03:39 AM
i have always thought that i was the same world but over thousands of years that has seperated them i mean we fregot that we had translated hyrographs from anceint ejept intell we found the key stone i can't think of it. and in fft the world thought that st. aljah was a good person but was the evil that was trying to destorey the world. time has erasted past civalition that we will never know about. and magic could resape the world if the keep sommening comets and shit. i geuss the world could only take so much. plus in ff 7 the world changed with the mako energy so it could come back in a different place. and in fft the flying ships were runes to them but in ff9 they where new. and the only reson that the existed was they where in a another dimtion i think i might have been where the final battle was in ff9 it was the runes of memorey was the death city. thats juct me so your ether agenst the idea of the same world or for it. but i could be bouth how know but they could tie them tother if we can figure it out so can they. thanks for your time

DJZen
04-01-2004, 05:50 AM
If you don't mind I'd like to translate that last post.

I have always thought that it was the same world but separated over thousands of years. Time erases memory of past civilizations. For example, Hieroglyphs were indecipherable until we found the Rosetta Stone. Similarly, in Final Fantasy Tactics, everyone thought that St. Aljah was a good person, but was in fact the evil that was trying to destroy the world. Magic could also reshape the world. Sephiroth seems to have done a good enough job of that by summoning a comet which has no doubt changed that landscape a bit. In Final Fantasy Tactics, airships were ancient ruins, whereas in Final Fantasy 9, they were new. {This next part is beyond my ability to translate so I made up something else off the cuff.} Did you know that in Mexico, water gives you diarrhea? In the end, I guess you can be either against the idea of all the games taking place on the same world or for it, but I think that it could go either way. Who knows, until Square says for sure, we can't. KTHX <333333

William
04-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by DJzen
If you don't mind I'd like to translate that last post.

I have always thought that it was the same world but separated over thousands of years. Time erases memory of past civilizations. For example, Hieroglyphs were indecipherable until we found the Rosetta Stone. Similarly, in Final Fantasy Tactics, everyone thought that St. Aljah was a good person, but was in fact the evil that was trying to destroy the world. Magic could also reshape the world. Sephiroth seems to have done a good enough job of that by summoning a comet which has no doubt changed that landscape a bit. In Final Fantasy Tactics, airships were ancient ruins, whereas in Final Fantasy 9, they were new. {This next part is beyond my ability to translate so I made up something else off the cuff.} Did you know that in Mexico, water gives you diarrhea? In the end, I guess you can be either against the idea of all the games taking place on the same world or for it, but I think that it could go either way. Who knows, until Square says for sure, we can't. KTHX <333333

LMFAO :D That was great.

I don't think that they take place in the same world though.

zacks_clone
04-01-2004, 09:54 PM
I still wish they'd make a final one that "wraps them all up," so to speak.

But then there would only be nit pickers, and not people devoted to finding the meanings and such under the game

DocFrance
04-01-2004, 10:01 PM
And there aren't any nit-pickers now?

DJZen
04-02-2004, 06:37 AM
I don't think they're NIT-PICKERS so much as HAIR-SPLITTERS and GRAIN COUNTERS. :D

skatehippie
04-07-2004, 04:40 PM
No, the Gospel according to Squall was apparently, "I summon, Jesus, the most powerful GF! Jesus, make them bleed!"

That's just humorous.

Anyway, no. They're not in the same worlds. Besides FFX and FFX-2. I can't stress that enough.

Not to sound hostile, but you can't "stress anything enough." You know why? Because you don't know, and neither do the rest of us. However, it is an interesting topic that deserves some discussion because apparently more than one person agrees it's possible.

How would new ideas ever come about if the nay-sayers put them to rest simply because they felt, in their opinion, they "couldn't stress enough" the falseness of the idea itself? My point is, if you have a creative enough imagination, and are open to new ideas, then picturing a gigantic timeline on which all the FF's are on the same planet is not so impossible. The fact is, the guy who started the thread at least attempted to present some of the "proof" that has been put forth to support the idea...so where is your "proof" that it can't be possible?

Yes, it is doubtful. We get that. But that is what makes new crazy ideas so fun to contemplate. So basically, you need to look at it like this:

1.) I can accept that it would take an unimaginable amount of time for the central FF planet to have changed geographically/or was changed by magic...though it is unlikely, but not impossible.
2.) The stories themselves drive each individual game...but as each story has its deepest corners, it is possible that they are "laced" so-to-speak. And if not, then they could still have at least occured on the same ground (see idea number 1).
3.) Though the more obvious reason behind there being moogles, cactuars, recycled names, etc. is that it is part of the franchise, it is still possible that these themselves are the more obvious links between the FFs and the world(s) they occur in.
and 4.) The Final Fantasy games do indeed encounter many evils...in the case of FFVIII these are actually several evils spread out through time, and compress time itself. However, though each game must occupy at least several millenia of history in itself, there could still be MORE history that delves farther past what the games' storylines tell. In other words, there could not only have been enough time gone by on this "planet" for all the FFs to have taken place, but even more that would accomodate one gigantic plot that binds them all. When seen from this perspective, geographical information just doesn't seem as important now does it?

I, personally, say YES, it is possible that the FF games are all in the same world. Smaller points such as Zell's parents and whatnot can be argued further (even if to no end), but in the big picture, the "one world" idea is definitely plausable. =P

Doomgaze
04-07-2004, 06:05 PM
most of them are seperate, though I have heard there may be some connection between 1, 3, and 5. Or something like that.

and, of course, FF12 will take place in Ivalice, but we already have two different Ivalices, so we will have to see...

CrimsonD
04-08-2004, 12:46 AM
I think they are not on the same world but must be in the same Universe. Think about Wegner's continental drift theory. The monsters in the games are very alike. I remember the bomb monster was in many of the FFs. Also airships are in the FF's. Infact there are some similarities in the cultures of each game. Can't think of any now but I'm sure there are some. With these facts I would assume they were connected some how but seperated slowly over time. Summons most likely travel through the barriers between the planets. Bahamut Zero I think it was, was flying through space in his summon. Others like Ifrit and Shiva IMO were never really the same in each game. More like the element choose to use that form to represent them when summoned. Not sure if this is a spoiler so watch out. Cloud was brought to the FFt world so they must be connected.

DJZen
04-08-2004, 04:52 AM
Ifrit's always been the same.... Except in FFMQ but that may or may not count depending on how you look at things.

Really, the only one world explanation would be "magic", which can explain ANYTHING. For example, how did Sephiroth stop the planet from healing? Magic! How does the planet heal itself? Magic! How did the ancients find out about the planet's ability to heal itself? MAGIC! How did George W. Bush win the election? ....I'll let you be the judge :D

Rase
04-16-2004, 07:15 AM
I don't think they are. Mogs don't show up until FFVI. Also, in FFIV, Bahamut is on the Moon. These are just two little things, but I would have to say they are set in completly different alternate versions of "Earth".

Bahamut2000X
04-16-2004, 01:56 PM
Actually moogles first show up in FFIII, then disappear in IV, but make a appearence again in FFV.