PDA

View Full Version : Mhz problem

escobert
03-25-2004, 12:22 AM
I was IMed by a new member tongiht who is ahving problems on the site so, I realyed this for them.

Hey all!

I have a bit of a problem. I want to get FF11 for Windows but there is only one requirment I cannot meet.

I have a Pentium III Processor (which is okay) but my general info tab says I have 598 Mhz. The minimum is 800! How do I up my Mhz?

I'm eagerly awaiting your replys! And I'm sorry I can't post this on my own. Somethings going on with my log in. Its letting me log in, but not post messages..... Oh well!

- JeremyWestenn

Thunday Man
03-25-2004, 01:06 AM
Buy a new processor?

Rostum
03-25-2004, 05:02 AM
Well Jeremy, I don't think you will be able to run FFXI with that kind of processor, I suggest trying to update it to a newer one, unless someone else can suggest anything else?

Ichy
03-25-2004, 02:24 PM
You could always overclock, but chances are that, judging by the motherboard you would need to have to plug your processor into, if you didn't put in alot more cooling than the average overclocker your CPU will be shot within a week or two with the chance of taking the front side bus with it. Looking at it from this light, however, you may as well go for it based on the facts: A pentium chip clocked at around your range uses a socket 370 motherboard, hence to upgrade your CPU to anything decent on the current market you'd have to get a new motherboard, too, then RAM that fits it, then hope your power supply puts out enough to run it all... Compare that to the cost of a Blade Fan and a and a 5.25" Bay Fan and the overclocking option starts to look better and better, moneywise, doesn't it? Still, thinking of it from the upgrade perspective as well, with all new gear you can rest assured that you will have *minimal* problems once it's all set it place and you don't have to worry about your system being a proverbial time bomb that could burn out without warning. You'll also open the door to loads of other spectacular games.

*side note: With a socket 370 motherboard, chances are high that even if you did overclock, the board's bus speed wouldn't be high enough to allow the CPU, RAM, and Video Card to communicate fast enough to use all the resources you'd be feeding it. Basically it would all just bottleneck and not be all that much of a difference in the long run.

I say go for the upgrade and use your old one as a print server or something...

Rostum
03-26-2004, 05:11 AM
Or if you're a little money starved, you can get the PS2 version which is out now. ^.^

escobert
04-05-2004, 10:59 PM
It is?

Rostum
04-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Yes, in NA that is. I think you can get a bundle pack with the HDD now (or I think that's with the PS2 as well, not sure).