PDA

View Full Version : Men and women - equal rights?

Mikztsu
03-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Do you think men and women should have equal rights?

Also, do you think women REALLY has 100% equal rights and are they discriminated at all in todays western societies, when it comes to certain jobs, et cetera.

edczxcvbnm
03-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Women are still discriminated again. How many times do you still here 'Don't hit girls' or stuff like that after they punch some kid boy in the arm? I say with equal rights also come equal ass kickings.

fire_of_avalon
03-26-2004, 04:36 PM
I agree with edlalallalala. If I smack a boy around, he'd better stand up for himself, or I'm gonna feel pretty guilty.

I still get the "you can't do that because you're a girl" sometimes about silly things, but most of my male friends and family realize I can kick their butts and do whatever kind of things they do. I don't think there's nearly as much discrimination, but I think some things still have a certain stigma attached to them. For example, my father thinks it's weird that I want to work on cars with him. I like cars, I can't help it.

edczxcvbnm
03-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Awesome. Someone agrees with me :love:

LH
03-26-2004, 05:25 PM
I'd say take it case by case. If a man and a woman are both hired in a warehouse job, and the man can lift 200 more boxes per shift than the woman, obviously he should be paid more and anyone who would say that they should get equal pay is fighting against equality between men and woman, because it makes it an unfair advantage for women. Equally, if in a given case the woman can do more lifting then she should be started with higher pay than the man. I can't stress enough that people are individuals and their sex, race, beliefs and all that stuff are traits, not definitions.

Mikztsu
03-26-2004, 05:35 PM
But when you look at the leading positions in companies, there's a very small percent of women in charge.

LH
03-26-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Mikztsu
But when you look at the leading positions in companies, there's a very small percent of women in charge.

There's a few different explanations why that could be, and one of them could be that women are not given equality in the workplace. However, you can take it down a different route and say that it's because the average woman is not as well-equipped as a male to suceed in business. Or you can say that the average woman doesn't have the motivation to suceed. Or you can say that the average woman has three arms and doesn't fit in. Get my point? There are a million different reasons why it could be, but no one knows exactly why it happens.

Dr Unne
03-26-2004, 06:15 PM
Yes, women should have equal rights. Equal rights doesn't mean equal in every way. I have the right to own property, but that doesn't mean I get property no matter what. It means if I have money, I should be able to buy property. Non-equal rights would say that I am inherently unable to own property, because I don't have the right even if I have enough money to do it, whereas other non-me people do have the right.

For example in business, equal rights means if a woman is equal in ability to a man, she has the right to be paid as much as a man. Equal rights doesn't mean women are automatically made into CEOs, but it means that they have an equal opportunity to become one based on their skill or lack thereof, not on the fact that they're female. Equal rights means a woman isn't prevented from voting or going to school. Equal rights means that being female doesn't come into account. Things like "50% of physical laborers should be women regardless of whether we can find women who are physically able enough to do the job" is NON-equal rights, I agree with LH.

So far as whether women are still discriminated against, I don't know. I hope not.

So far as "don't hit girls", that's not a question of rights. No one has the right to hit anyone.

Mikztsu
03-26-2004, 06:20 PM
I agree with Unne about "not hitting girls". That has nothing to do with rights.

There was a research in Finland, many women interviewed, and eventhough we have a female president, companies aren't too keen to take women in charge. :I

And to LH - Oh, women are VERY ambitious. At least I see it that way.

Yamaneko
03-26-2004, 07:30 PM
Everyone is discriminated against. I'd probably be discriminated against in Europe because I'm American. Or I'd be discriminated in a Catholic country because my family is for the most part Protestant. Or in an Arab country because I'm white. It all depends where you are and who the people in power are.

Women should have equal rights like everyone else. It's not going to happen, but we should keep trying.

crono_logical
03-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Equal rights, yes. Equivalent rights, no, because men and women are not the same.

fire_of_avalon
03-26-2004, 07:56 PM
I agree with Yamaneko too. I was going to say something like that, but I forgot. *dumb*

Breine
03-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Yes, I think that women and men should have equal rights... Without a doubt. I mean, we're all humans and from the same world so I can't even se why women and men do not have equal rights. It's the same thing with white and colored people. It just pisses me off thinking about this world not having equal rights and stuff! I can't take it...

Originally posted by Mikztsu
There was a research in Finland, many women interviewed, and eventhough we have a female president, companies aren't too keen to take women in charge. :I

You have a female president!? Wow, that's great! I hope that USA one day will have one too. A woman's opinions and actions on such important matters, that the american president faces, could be interesting to experience. Also I hope that one day USA will have a black president...

Sephex
03-27-2004, 07:36 AM
There is an old saying that goes...

"Women want equal rights...untill the bill comes to the table."

Del Murder
03-27-2004, 08:06 AM
Whatever your stance is, it should be noted that women have more equal rights today than they have ever in history, and it keeps progressing. These things take time. One day the US will have a female president, and probably in our lifetimes.

Mikztsu
03-27-2004, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I agree with Del. It'll be a whole different situation, in say 100 years.

And Breine, we also had a female prime minister a year ago, but she had to resign because of certain scandal.

Peegee
03-27-2004, 01:16 PM
I support the end to feminising males, and nothing more.

Lord Xehanort
03-27-2004, 07:35 PM
The only people who truly have equal rights are heterosexual, white men. Being bisexual, I am constantly discriminated. But hey, nothing really matters.

Peegee
03-28-2004, 01:40 PM
If anything heterosexual white men do not have equal rights at all. Examples:

- Affirmative Action
- Child custody
- Car insurance costs (though this is actually against all men. We're high risks apparently so men pay more for car insurance than women..until we turn 26 or something)
- Demand for men to pay for dates (either because they ask women, or even when women ask men, because it's the gentlemenly thing to do)
- everybody has to speak "PC"
- women can walk into male shower rooms (reporters); males cannot walk into female shower rooms (reporters)
- female police officers/security/guards/whatever can strip search men in prisons. Men cannot strip search females

and so forth. Ansem you are bisexual. Not to be mean or anything but strictly speaking as long as you don't flaunt it, you won't get any more attention than a heterosexual of your sex. People who know you are bisexual and still harrass you are stupid anyway, but they legally can't restrict you.

I argue that everything I wrote above contributes to male inequalities, and has a great weight on causing men to be far too effeminent in general. I'm against this :aimmad:

DMKA
03-29-2004, 06:29 AM
I think they should have equal rights. Also, I should be able to punch a woman in the face and not get in trouble for it, because she is 'my equal'. Not saying that I would, but I believe in "equal" not "equal...except A, B, and C".

I recall in the Navy the women can't be SEALs, and other things...but the thing that really bothered me is that while men only had 9 minutes to run 1.5 mile, women had 13 minutes. While men had to have their heads shaved, women only had to have their hair no longer than shoulder lenght. I mean, either you can do it, or you can't. Either you can lug an injured 160 pound shipmate or you can't. Theres no exceptions when you're actually out there doing it.

So yeah, discrimination based on gender is bulls**t.

The Nique
03-29-2004, 09:48 AM
My philosophy on gender equality, has always been this, and mind you, I am speaking in very general terms, and very broad observances of both sexes.

Does "Apple" = "Orange" ? No. Now, is the apple WORTH as much as the orange? Concivably, and in most cases, yes.

But they fulfill different functions. They taste different, they have different nutirents, etc etc etc...

Now, does this mean that woman can't do "MAN JOBS", and vice versa? Not nessecerily, but I think the physical differences between men and woman, as well as mental differences, mean that each sex is better at certain tasks than the other. This isn't to say each sex is incapable of the other task, but in general terms, one gender will most often be better at a paicular task than the other.

So, no, I do not think men=woman. However, I think that they are equal in VALUE, becuase you really can't have one without the other.

Its why we have a mom (woman) and a dad (father). Womanly qualities will impart a different kind of knowledge on a child, than manly qualities will, but both are important.

I guess its also why in some laguages, nouns have gender...(?) :mog:

BTW, I think woman really are running the show. They control us with their feminine charms! BAh! I can't resist!

Peegee
03-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Sure you can. Just say no.

gokufusionss1
03-29-2004, 10:59 PM
i'm a mysogonist so....................

Shadraque
03-29-2004, 11:35 PM
Now, does this mean that woman can't do "MAN JOBS", and vice versa? Not nessecerily, but I think the physical differences between men and woman, as well as mental differences, mean that each sex is better at certain tasks than the other. This isn't to say each sex is incapable of the other task, but in general terms, one gender will most often be better at a paicular task than the other.

Women cannot do man jobs!! I don't know what a man job is for sure, but if it is indeed a Man Job, then certainly a Woman CAN'T do it. Just as a man can in NO WAY do woman Jobs. (one of which is giving birth)

No man can give birth and therefore no man can do that woman job, or any other. (by the way, making a sandwich is not a woman job. That is a job. Just like sewing a dress or changing a tire. Those are unisex jobs.

Father is a man Job, and no woman can do that, but she can be mother, so that's nice.

EternalBahamut
03-30-2004, 01:17 AM
As far as professional jobs, the media likes to say that women are not equal but that is just not true. At my work, both senior directors are women, the head vp is a woman, the director is a woman, over half of the entry level supervisors are women.

The Nique
03-30-2004, 03:15 AM
i'm a mysogonist so....................

Are you thinking of 'misogynist' perhaps? Would that make you.... not heterosexual then?

As far as professional jobs, the media likes to say that women are not equal but that is just not true. At my work, both senior directors are women, the head vp is a woman, the director is a woman, over half of the entry level supervisors are women.

Equal of value or equal as in they can all do the exact same thing all the time? Becuase the latter just isn't true...

I couldn't say whether a CEO or VP position at a company would be better suited for a man or woman... it may indeed just depend on the company, and the induvidual... a unisex job, perhaps. However, in general, men are more capable to carry a physical burden than women so I would say guys most often will do those kind of jobs. Hence the construction worker steriotypes we've all come to love and laugh at when they come on in cartoons...

But anyway, yeah my boss is a woman. It doesn't bother me. The fact that she's terrible at what she does bothers me though, cuase she's lazy and all other kinds of bad...

:cry:

DeBlayde
03-31-2004, 04:17 AM
It's kinda funny, this discussion. what I've observed is that in the rush to be wholly P.C. to every minority, the pendulum of the balance has shifted beyond equal to the middle of the other extreme. Reverse discrimination is OK, so long as it's against Whites, and especially Males.

so yup. should be equal. but they're not. men and women are different. until people can realize that different does not mean better/worse, then nothing will change. Change instituted from without is resented and rebelled against.