PDA

View Full Version : what would you do?

EternalBahamut
03-27-2004, 07:57 AM
If you could go back in time and become the executive director in charge of all decisions in the making of Final Fantasy 9, what would be the one thing you change?
For me, I loved the retro/cartoonie/Medeival-meets-Futuristic graphics, the cut scenes were great, the music was great, story line not too bad, and the towns and scenery were great. The chocobo side quests left me wanting a little more but the main thing I would change would be to pick your own team members.
The main reason I love FF1 and have played it a number of times is because you get to decide exactly what is in your party. I know, of the characters, you can pick who gets to be in your party at the time but not the characters themselves. Sure the main character has to be a clone for the story to work but he could be Cloud the warrior clone (no pun intended)or Rikku the theif clone. The love interest could easily be changed to match the choice of the main character. I know Steiner has to be a knight to drive the plot but he could be Kendra the female knight that took combat training from a monk. I know it would have been a little difficult to work out the kinks but it is what I would have changed. Changing dressspheres or garmetgrids or job classes is great but the cool thing about One is that you make a decision at the beginning that will effect the rest of the game and I think that would have been a great twist for Nine.

DocFrance
03-27-2004, 09:31 AM
Hey, that actually would be a great idea.

The only problem is, FF1 was designed with little or no character interaction in mind. How many times did the characters in FF1 talk to eachother, or even say a word? Never, if I remember correctly.

If you were able to change each one of seven or so characters, you would alter their personalities, and ergo, what they say to eachother and NPC's and how they react to certain situations. For this, you'd need quite a few different character lines and story paths.

In FF1, you only had four characters and six classes to choose from. However, that meant that you had a whopping total of 4,096 different starting parties. Text might not take up a lot of space on a game disc, but it does add up when you have that many different scenarios. You'd have either a huge game requiring way too many discs, or a game with no character interaction at all (like FF1).

The only game I can think of to pull this sort of thing off well is Seiken Densetsu 3 - you have six characters to choose from for your starting party of three. Depending on which characters you choose first, second, or third, their amount of story is different (the first one you pick gets the most time "in the spotlight," the second when gets less, and the third gets the least of all). All in all, SD3 has 120 starting parties to choose from, and it does this quite well.

Ultima Shadow
04-23-2004, 05:48 PM
I would make one more* strong extra boss looking* like Omega weapon. :)

Edit*(that's what i meant)

UltimaSephiroth
04-23-2004, 11:00 PM
hmmm...
i'd probably change either the music score so that the majority of the songs featured in the game would not be remixes of "melodies of life", or make the ending more dramatic...

ShivaBlizzard8
04-30-2004, 03:18 AM
I would make a strong extra boss like Omega weapon.

I pretty sure the optional boss, Ozma, was supposed to be FF9's Omega Weapon.

aeris2001x2
04-30-2004, 08:16 PM
very true and he was way harder then the omega ant/weapon.

Rostum
05-01-2004, 02:59 AM
I'd probably want more development of Necron and the crystals to be interwind within the story. It is a great story, but it defenatly left me with wanting alot more. It would also alter the ending, which I think was great and emotional, but more would have been even better.

The battle system could have given some better options, maybe to be more customary. The music score was great too, but as someone said, not as many remixes of 'melodies of life'.

aeris2001x2
05-01-2004, 03:03 AM
also hades would be hard, necron would manipulate alot, yans would be bosses, trance wouldnt suck, enemys have alot more hp and kick ass eidolons and trances like knights of round and omnislash.

oh and amarant would ave a point too.

Lord Chainsaw
05-01-2004, 04:41 AM
Whoever thought up Necron would be fired Donald Trump style.

Rostum
05-01-2004, 10:37 AM
Oh, another thing would be the trance, make them a little bit better and more interactive and also make it so they don't reset after each battle! That was pretty annoying.

Del Murder
05-01-2004, 05:17 PM
I would make Freya not be forgotten for the second 3/4 of the game.

HanaKirei
05-01-2004, 05:50 PM
I'd try to make Amarant a little more relevant to the plot. x_x That's about it.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
05-07-2004, 12:03 PM
only change one thing....

.....Necron....thats all

Master Quan
05-25-2004, 10:33 AM
I'd make it so when Vivi went into trance he changed into a demonic version of the Alexandria dollies