PDA

View Full Version : RPG MAKER

Caim
03-28-2004, 09:39 PM
This is really cool but very very very time consuming.

Erdrick Holmes
03-28-2004, 09:48 PM
Im in the process of making a game on that but I can't figure most of hte programming out.

Levian
03-28-2004, 09:53 PM
Yeah that damned RPG Maker. I know how it works, but it gets boring quick. I'm working on a game, but it will not be serious at all. I'm just making some random *snip*, which happens to be my favorite genre. Hopefully, I'll get it done this summer :p

Bahamut2000X
03-28-2004, 11:23 PM
Ya I got RPG maker 2000 and 2003. Currently in the process of making a game and got one in the concept stages.

Joel if you don't know how to do something, just ask me, I know a good bit about RPG maker so I might be able to help a bit.

Erdrick Holmes
03-28-2004, 11:36 PM
Bahamut, if I can get sprites made, and a storyline script made can you cook it all together properly?

Shoeberto
03-28-2004, 11:51 PM
When I was yer age we programmed in BASIC, hand-assigned where all the pixels of color went in our sprites out of a pallete of eight colors, and we ENJOYED IT, DAMMIT.

BlkKnight
03-29-2004, 12:11 AM
As the signature implies, I have created and compled two RPG Maker games with a 2k3 game in production.

Lord Chainsaw
03-29-2004, 05:29 AM
I'm using RPG maker 2 for PS2 right now and it is SO CONFUSING.

Just to switch from one area to another: You have to make a script to switch locations and designate where you would like to be teleported to. Then you have to make an event to switch locations. Then you have to make the event tie into the script. Then you have to decide how the teleporting graphic will look. Then you have to place the event on your map. And sense generally screen transitions go two ways, you'll end up doing the same thing order to go back to the previous screen.

I haven't learned the first thing about battle yet. And I can't execute take-over events. I'm having a lot of trouble right now. My enemies aren't attacking like I tell them to and they aren't flashing when they get hit like I want them to.

I've got a long way to go.

Rostum
03-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Heh, I'd like to see alot of you program with a real engine. =P I must admit though, RPG Maker's language is complete and utter crap.

Caim
03-29-2004, 02:49 PM
yeah, if any one has questions about RPG Maker 2003 don't be afrais to ask me.

Fat Hobbit
03-30-2004, 06:10 AM
I understand a good amount of RPG Maker. :)

I've made two demo's and I'm currently in the process of finishing one. :p

Marble
03-30-2004, 06:02 PM
Hmm yes, I'm into RPGmaking too.

Shoeberto
03-30-2004, 11:57 PM
...WALKING FIVE MILES UPHILLS BOTH WAYS IN THE HAIL AND SNOW WITH OUR FLOPPIES IN ZIPLOCK BAGS WITH HAND-DRAWN COVERS TO SELL EM AT THE LOCAL RADIOSHACK FOR A NICKEL!

Kirobaito
03-30-2004, 11:58 PM
I guess I'll ask here...where's a good site with a helluvalotta RTPs that I can download for RPGM2k3?

Aphelion
04-28-2004, 02:01 AM
I have RPG Maker 2003, and I am making a game, but I can't tell how it will be...right now. Maybe later...

Maxico
04-28-2004, 02:56 PM
I've never gotten round to using rpg maker cause of all of the limitations I keep on hearing about. I'm in the process of making a game with rpg toolkit (potentaily limitless yet amazingly annoying) but theres all sorts of problems like it ver 2 wont work on WNDWS XP ver 3's too instable, Im tied up in flash animation project with a freind, Im making my side scrolling shoot 'em up in game maker...... The list goes on. A have had the basic story lines and all of that stuff for about a year now but I get bored VERY VERY easily.

HOOTERS
04-28-2004, 04:37 PM
I started making a game and then I didn't. It takes too bloody long. :smash:

Polaris
04-28-2004, 05:01 PM
I don'«t care abput the time!

I'm writting a story and I have rpg maker and I'll make my own game!

I think it's the best!!!!!

Rase
05-01-2004, 11:00 PM
Yeah, it's fun to make your own RPG, but dang if it doesn't take up your life. I had a demo of one made and was about to save it to a disc when my comp got a nasty virus and had to be reformatted. Guess what wasn't saved? After that it took me a while to find a DL spot again and than I started. Hope to get some real work on it done by this summer. Right no school and life are all I can fit on my plate.

BG-57
05-03-2004, 01:43 AM
RPG Maker must have come about because game makers got tired of hearing gamers complain 'Your cruddy RPG is so bad that I even I could make a better one myself!' Now I can make my own cruddy RPG's. The results are fun, but the programming is so time consuming it's almost not worthwhile.

Maxico
05-03-2004, 10:03 AM
If you really want to make a good rpg think of all of the stupid things that annoy you in other games.

Like inns, in most games you walk up to some guy at a desk, speak to him cue fade, Wow you're fine now and you havn't moved an inch. In my game I'm programming an inn where you walk to the desk, rent a room, go to your room, sleep, and can use the room for as long as you want (dayly charge, have to sign out before entering a new inn).

cause if your not innovative then nobodys even gonna bother looking at your game.

Shoeberto
05-03-2004, 05:00 PM
It's kind of silly for people to say that they really want to make a game, but can't be bothered to program it or think that the coding is too tought in RM2k. Really, it's a cakewalk compared to real programming.

Dragonfire
05-06-2004, 11:39 AM
heh i remember using rm2k. I started a very large game awhile ago with a few friends. Unfortunately, we ran into a few programming walls, and lost interest so we never finished.

I recommend playing BlkKnight's games, they are hilarious. They're a real gamer's games.

Rase
05-07-2004, 04:28 AM
I am using RPGMaker 2003. It just makes it feel a lot more like an RPG to me.

Rainecloud
05-07-2004, 07:53 AM
I've used RPG Maker quite a lot in the past, but I don't use it any more. It was great at first - a novelty, perhaps - but the fun didn't last for very long. When I wanted to add more environments to my game, I simply couldn't be bothered when it came to configuring each and every single tree so that my hero wouldn't walk straight through it. As you said, Caim, it is very time consuming.

BatChao
05-07-2004, 08:22 AM
I was making a RM2k game a couple years ago. My data got wiped once, and I started over (probably for the best because it took me a while to get used to the scripting), but I haven't touched it in about two years. I'm just too busy with other stuff. I might pick it up again sometime or not... it's not a priority for me right now. But really, the simple point and click scripting system is very intuitive and easy to use. I really do like it. The only problem is that you need to figure out workarounds for more complex things that aren't built straight into the system. I'm still waiting for RPGds for I hear that one is gonna be really powerful.

Rostum
05-07-2004, 09:02 AM
RPGds? That still in development? It's been a few years! Haven't they got anything out yet? O_o

Mattokenzi
05-11-2004, 01:15 PM
I enjoy going on RPG Maker I started a game about... Me :D

frist I thought it was hard but now I'm making progress.
I can use magic and have a red stick (which I treat as a sword)
the game is Called "Last Legend"