PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Preseason Report

Kirobaito
03-29-2004, 02:57 AM
Well, I guess this is the best time to do this, with about a week to go before the season starts. Atleast for the Rangers, that is. What are your predictions/comments on what's happened so far?

Well, I only kept up with the Rangers spring training, so I can comment on that. They have a LOT of young guys, obviously, but they are doing well. Gerald Laird, likely their starting catcher this year, is hitting .476 in the spring. However, the issue always has been with the Rangers' pitching. They could have found one good starter, with Ricardo Rodriguez, a VERY young guy who has a load of potential (last year, with the Indians, he started 2-0 with a 1.35 ERA before injuries ended his year). With Kenny Rogers, a proven veteran, R.A. Dickey, who had a great rookie year last season, and others, the Rangers very well could FINALLY do something.

So, describe your teams, and what they could do. I would look for the Red Sox to beat out the Yankees this year, finally, and possibly win the World Series.

Del Murder
03-29-2004, 03:13 AM
The Rangers play in a tough division with two already good teams, and a much imporved Anaheim club. So they have a ways to go still.

Personally I see Anaheim returning to the form they were in two years ago and making it to the WS. From the NL I'd say either Houston or Chicago. The Central over there will be competitive as always.

As for my A's, they probably have the best rotation they've had in a long time. I don't care how many MVPs they lose, there are still three reasons why they will still be contenders. They did a good job signing Chavez long term, though not a better hitter than Tejada and Giambi, he was probably the most valuable one, as he plays a tough position very well. If Dye can actually get something going, Oakland has a very good shot.

The Captain
03-29-2004, 04:24 AM
I believe this could be the year for the Cubbies, that is, if Prior stays healthy.

Take care all.

eestlinc
03-29-2004, 07:14 AM
the Braves bullpen just got a lot better and thus I am feeling pretty good. The lineup will be fine.

Strider
03-29-2004, 07:26 AM
I'm crossing my fingers that Robb Nen and Jason Schmidt are okay for the long haul. The Giants have a lot of question marks in the pitching staff, but if those two are healthy, it'll provide everyone else a tremendous boost.

They've improved their depth, too, and that bench is a big reason that they're still the team to beat in the NL West this year.

eestlinc
03-29-2004, 07:31 AM
the giants also have a pretty weak infield.

Del Murder
03-29-2004, 07:37 AM
Richie Sexson will not be enough to prevent the Giants from taking the NL West yet again. The Giants will always be contenders because they have a player named Barry Bonds, and no one else has him.

Strider
03-29-2004, 07:46 AM
They had a pretty brutal infield last year, too, admittedly. Rich Aurilia was hurt a lot, J.T. Snow continued his offensive slide, Ray Durham was hurt, and Edgardo Alfonzo didn't play as well as advertised until the second half.

And they still won 100 games. The only player to play more than 140 games was Jose Cruz. How'd they do that? With depth, people that had varying roles and knew how to produce when one of the stars needed a day off. Pedro Feliz, Yorvit Torrealba, Dustin Mohr and company will be the difference makers in this division.

eestlinc
03-29-2004, 07:46 AM
the NL west is rather devoid of a complete team. I think the Padres have the best balance of talent, but they're a year or two off from competing.