PDA

View Full Version : What are the three colours of which all other colours are made of to you?

Nait
03-29-2004, 05:06 PM
People who play around with paint (and probably glue and other fumes, too) seem to think it's red, blue and yellow (if you can believe that), and that all colours put together makes black. All the rest, who know better, say that it's red, blue and green, and that when they're mushed together you get WHITE. So, are you right, or wrong?

Leeza
03-29-2004, 05:10 PM
Blue, red and yellow for me. Everyone knows that when you mix blue and yellow you get green. :)

Nait
03-29-2004, 05:17 PM
ONLY IF YOU'RE FROM THE PLANET SKRUAP!

Leeza
03-29-2004, 05:25 PM
SKRUAP is very pretty at this time of the year with it's red, blue and yellow sunsets. :)

Agent Proto
03-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Blue, red, and yellow are the primary colors. Purple, green, orange are secondary colors.

Black is supposedly the absense of colors, and white is the presence of all colors.

fire_of_avalon
03-29-2004, 05:38 PM
*points to Proto* Yep.

crono_logical
03-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Cyan, Magenta and Yellow if it's inks. Red/Yellow/Blue is nonsense really, and Red = Yellow + Magenta :p Printers will use black as well though, because the C/M/Y when mixed together give a muddy colour instead of black like it would with pure pigments. That's for subtractive colour mixing anyway.

I prefer Red/Green/Blue though, since that's what I'm more used to using and mixing when picking colours on the computer screen, as computer screens use the primary colours of light :p

In both those cases though, you can't make every colour in existance, which is why there's also other methods for describing colour space, like L*a*b*.

Nait
03-29-2004, 06:02 PM
SEE? ONLY <i>COOL</i> PEOPLE AGREE WITH ME. I DON'T KNOW, MAYBE BECAUSE I'M <i>RIGHT</i>.

Burtsplurt
03-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Orange!

TasteyPies
03-29-2004, 08:21 PM
anyone who thinks if you take all colors and put them together you make white, is very stupid they make black

And they should be put in a old folks home and far away from paint brushes

Flying Mullet
03-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Agent Proto
Blue, red, and yellow are the primary colors. Purple, green, orange are secondary colors.

Black is supposedly the absense of colors, and white is the presence of all colors.

TasteyPies
03-29-2004, 08:23 PM
And mr.Mimic you have been following me for the last 4 topics, go away! lol

Del Murder
03-29-2004, 10:21 PM
Red, blue, yellow for paints. Televisions use red, green, and blue for color, and there was a reason for it but I forgot it.

Flying Mullet
03-29-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Del Murder
Televisions use red, green, and blue for color, and there was a reason for it but I forgot it.
Probably because some crazy Fin invented it.

escobert
03-29-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Leeza
Blue, red and yellow for me. Everyone knows that when you mix blue and yellow you get green. :)
yup

Kirobaito
03-29-2004, 10:58 PM

omnitarian
03-29-2004, 11:03 PM

Yamaneko
03-29-2004, 11:07 PM
RGB

Thunday Man
03-30-2004, 02:32 AM
Whats colours.. I only know what a color is =p

Crazy people from England XD

And yeah, I don't really understand this thread at all...

eestlinc
03-30-2004, 05:41 AM
Black Red Yellow (http://www.blackredyellow.com/)

Nait
03-30-2004, 06:58 AM
Red, blue and yellow is a MYTH. No such thing! No. Such. Thing. And those who believe so belong to the same club as... As... King Bahamut and TasteyPies and Bert. Do you really want that?

Del Murder
03-30-2004, 07:35 AM
Yes!

Calliope
03-30-2004, 07:45 AM
SPELL CORRECTLY OR DON'T SPELL AT ALL!

Oh, wait.

*glares at the guilty party and all those fiends who quoted him*

At least the colours are correct :D

Stayin Dizzy
03-30-2004, 07:21 PM
Guu and del were about spot on. Typically our eyes process color in RGB (red green and blue). But if you take color theory you learn that colors are different to everyone by some degree as our brain processes it as a reflection of light (thus why in a pitch black room a red plate wont glow red ((unless its a glow in the dark plate))). Printing inks on the other hand work with shades and various combinations of CMYK (C=Cyan-Blue, M=Magenta-Red, Y=Yellow,K=Black). By layering these 4 colors you can create and color (in fact if you have photoshop you can scan any picture you own and use color seperation to see what % of each color makes up that picture)

Lament
03-30-2004, 08:45 PM
Depends.

Right... if we're talking light addition, then it's a FACT that red, blue and green make up all the colours and combined at maximum intensity make white.

If colour subtraction is your game, then it's cyan, yellow, magenta that make up all the other colours. I don't think there's any real debate here as anyone who's used a half decent graphics package or paid really good attention to their TV/printer will be aware of what the deal is.

Ariel
03-30-2004, 10:32 PM
Red, blue and yellow.

I like my paints. And I'm fume-free! =X *runs*

Kirobaito
03-30-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Nait
Red, blue and yellow is a MYTH. No such thing! No. Such. Thing. And those who believe so belong to the same club as... As... King Bahamut and TasteyPies and Bert. Do you really want that?

Eh...You've got a good point. Yet why don't you include Proto in there?

TasteyPies
03-30-2004, 10:49 PM
Proto is too good to be but in a group with me :mad:

Peegee
03-30-2004, 11:37 PM
RGB can only get so many colours. However the way to go is Red, Yellow, and Blue.

DeBlayde
03-31-2004, 04:06 AM
Forrest Green, Navy Blue, Red and yellow are the primary colors. why? because those're the colors of my clan's tartan. Green and Blue Underchecks with Red and yellow Overcheck. yep. thems the most important primary colors. call me a cop-out if ya wants since I chose all the availible options. Call me a dummy for not talkin about the subject on hand.

or, consider that with paint, red/blue/yellow are mixed for all the colors. with light on a monito, red/blue/green. so everybody's right except Burtsplurt who's just silly.

edczxcvbnm
03-31-2004, 05:24 AM

Mr. Proto. You are getting your arts and your sciences mixed up.

RGB = Black absense of color, white presense of color

RYB = Black presense of color, white absense of color

Shlup
03-31-2004, 08:04 AM
My boyfriends brother and I read through a section of his psychology book about this... I don't remember what it said but it was really interesting. ^_^

Del Murder
03-31-2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks, that helps a lot.

Lord Xehanort
03-31-2004, 08:25 PM

I must agree with him.

blue_midget192
03-31-2004, 08:36 PM
all you infidelles are wrong! Octerine is the one clolour from which all others are made!

The Man
04-01-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Guu
Cyan, Magenta and Yellow if it's inks. Red/Yellow/Blue is nonsense really, and Red = Yellow + Magenta :p Printers will use black as well though, because the C/M/Y when mixed together give a muddy colour instead of black like it would with pure pigments. That's for subtractive colour mixing anyway.

I prefer Red/Green/Blue though, since that's what I'm more used to using and mixing when picking colours on the computer screen, as computer screens use the primary colours of light :p

In both those cases though, you can't make every colour in existance, which is why there's also other methods for describing colour space, like L*a*b*.

I like eestlinc's response too though.

Dreadlock
04-05-2004, 11:47 PM
what nait says!!!!!
ooooo look at barret go
:x_x: :shoot:

Kami
04-05-2004, 11:52 PM
I thought red+blue+yellow= brown. Oh wait... maybe that's for watercolors.