PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of The Crystal **maybe spoilers**

ChibiInuYasha
03-29-2004, 10:45 PM
The Crystal is referred to as the origin of all existence. The center of life. I saw it as more of a subliminal symbol to long time fans. The Origin of Final Fantasy. It makes sense seeing as how the whole game is one big homage to other FFs. Why not have the history of the series at stake? Look past the exterior of the story. FF began with the Crystal(s) so if it's at stake then it's really the existence of FF at stake rather than just the World of IX. I think it was Square's way of a thank you to long time fans. Or have I completely gone overboard with this theory?

Flying Mullet
03-29-2004, 10:47 PM
Yes, you're completely off your rocker! :p

No, I can see where you're coming from. You're fighting for the entire Final Fantasy Series, and not just the world of Final Fantasy IX.

DocFrance
03-29-2004, 11:26 PM
That's an interesting way to think of it.

Bahamut2000X
03-30-2004, 01:30 AM
Technically the series started with the orbs. But meh, orbs, crystals, both made of glass.

But ya that is a pretty interesting view to the point of the crystal in FFIX.

DocFrance
03-30-2004, 02:05 AM
Light Warriors, revive the ORBS!

Flying Mullet
03-30-2004, 02:53 PM
I, Garland, will knock you all down!

DocFrance
03-30-2004, 07:47 PM
Dwarves can see in the dark!

Kirobaito
03-30-2004, 10:03 PM
That is an interesting viewpoint. It's probably not "technically" true, but it still works. Same thing with the R=U debate.

Svartalv
03-30-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Bahamut2000X
Technically the series started with the orbs. But meh, orbs, crystals, both made of glass.

But ya that is a pretty interesting view to the point of the crystal in FFIX.

No, it did start with Crystals, indeed. It just got translated to Orbs for some reason when it first got it's english translation. I assume it's because the translator(s) didn't have enough space in the dialogues to call it Crystals.

DocFrance
03-30-2004, 11:35 PM
I don't see what's so wrong with ORBS, though.

Big D
03-31-2004, 10:41 AM
Sexual connotations, just imagine the societal harm that would've ensued...

What really surprised me about FFIX's Crystal was the astoundingly limited screen-time it got. I mean, it's the origin of life for two entire worlss, the source of all that is and all that ever was... yet it's just a little polygon in the background for a few scenes. It should've been made out to be a vast, beautiful, powerful object, something with a life of its own, even.

Rostum
03-31-2004, 11:49 AM
That's where Square mainly faultered with this game. Don't get me wrong I love it, but it seemed they rushed it towards the last discs. More time could have made it more interesting, but I guess the company do have some deadlines they need to attend to.