PDA

View Full Version : Video game villains

Erdrick Holmes
03-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Video games have brought out some of the most memerable villains to dawn the entertainment industry, what would you have to say is the best villain?

My personal favourite villain would have to be a tie between Kefka and Bison. They're both so evil that they'd kill somebody visously just for a giggle, and Bison is so persistant on finding Ryu and makingh im his slave, he then Catures Ken and makes him a total brainwash victim to fight Ryu and kill him, he makes Ryu's own best friend fight him to the death, Now that's evil. And Kefka Poisions the water supply of that town just to hear a symphony of screams when he wakes up, and he actually manages to destry the world.

If you read any of that it's your own fault.:p

metCloud
03-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Kefka http://firstreality.keenspace.com/images/kefka_sprite.gif

Shoyku
03-30-2004, 05:04 PM
My all time favourite would have to be Albedo, from Xenosaga. The guy tears off his arm and rips off his own head. Sure his overall evil deeds may not be as maniacle and as viscious as most other villains, but man that scene was just too cool! And his laugh is by far the best evil laugh I've ever heard.

And for second favourite, it'll have to go to Darth Malak of Knights of the Old Republic. He completely obliterates two planets in hopes to destroy the main character, and turns Bastila over to the dark side.

Del Murder
03-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Bowser, Kefka, Liquid Snake, and Dr. Wiley are some of my favorites.

Lord Chainsaw
03-30-2004, 06:51 PM
My all time favorite is Dracula. But he's more than just a Castlevania villain, so he's probably got an unfair advantage over the other villains.

My second favorite is Indalecio from Star Ocean. He's so awesome and the strongest villain I've ever seen in a game.

Other favorites are Deathevn from Breath of Fire II, Seymour from FFX, Luca Blight from Suikoden II, and of course, Sigma from MegaMan X series.

Mr_Bojangless
03-30-2004, 07:57 PM
Melfice, from Grandia 2. He is such a bad ass. He wasn't the main villain however, but he's definetly one of the coolest.

Bernhard
03-30-2004, 08:47 PM
Nicole Horne, Jack Lupino and Frankie "The Bat" Niagara. In that order, I'd say. They're all from Max Payne. That game really has some memorable characters.

Kirobaito
03-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Kefka, for reasons already stated, or possibly Liquid Snake, from MGS and MGS2. He was the shizzle-dizzle.

Breine
04-02-2004, 03:02 PM
I'm gonna be really unoriginal here and say Sephiroth. He just has a twisted personality and I really like that.

Xander
04-02-2004, 06:39 PM
LeChuck from the MI games is my favourite villain from a game. Cos he just keeps coming back! And he looked kinda scary in the first two games, and I found him scary when I was younger ^_^

Kuja is my favourite FF villain cos he's sezy *shallow*

PeTeRL90
04-02-2004, 06:50 PM
No one can beat Kefka and Daos.

Bowser's just too classic not to name, and you fear Magus.

Lindy
04-02-2004, 09:55 PM
(Unlimited) Indalecio.

Definitely, not only did he destroy an entire planet, he linked his own life to a rune to destroy another, so upon his death the rune would activate and destroy the world.

Plus he has 1.5 million HP in game, and a lot of his attacks can cause 9999 HP damage to all characters, almost instant casting of some of the strongest spells in the game AND, halfway through the battle he summons a freakin' goddess to help him out.

Or maybe Iseria Queen, though she was more of an ultimate boss than a real villain.

The Man
04-03-2004, 03:54 AM
Luca Blight (Suikoden II). Think Kefka with a penchant for humiliating his victims as much as possible before they die, and change the clown-type humour to a gallows humour and you have Luca. Best villain ever.

Big D
04-03-2004, 04:18 AM
Sephiroth deserves points, at very least for his style, his epic destructive/divine plans, and the controversy he's created in debates about Jenova. Top stuff.

Plenty of other games had memorable villains, too.
Take Anton Girdeux from Syphon Filter. A mad French terrorist with a flame-thrower and bullet-proof full-body armour. An easy fight if you know how, but interesting. A terrificly nasty character, too. The Freedom Memorial fight scene shows a lot about his character - "Look around, Logan - this hall contains a mosaic depicting the entire history of your country's wars and aggression! We are about to make an addition to it..." he declares, after knocking the head off Lincoln's statue and replacing it with a viral bomb. Then there are his truly unhinged comments from during the battle. "You're gonna need a bigger gun!" "You're going to BURN!" He's completely unfazed by anything you throw at him. Unleash a dozen rounds of machine-gun fire at his armour-covered face, and all he says is, "is that the best you can do?" An interesting bad-guy. Of course, Mara Aramov became the lead villain of the series, but she was far more interesting in the first game, when her allegiances were mixed and she truly didn't want global catastrohpe to fall.

Vagrant Story's villains appealed to me - Romeo Guildenstern and Sydney Losstarot, in particular. I liked the way they both had secret agendas, both had conflicting 'good and evil' motives and methods of their own. However, it's slightly unnerving that Guildenstern is wearing a skirt and Sydney doesn't have any pants at all, but then Vagrant Story has some pretty questionable garments. As for the other opponents in the game... Jon Hardin underwent a nice 'tragic redemption' from bitter militant to noble and caring surrogate father, and repented for his sins pretty well before his death, in my opinion. Jan Rosencrantz was just nasty. One of those guys for whom everything has gone wrong, every employer and opportunity has bitten him on the backside.

black orb
04-03-2004, 07:19 PM
>>> Lezard Valeth, everything about him is incredible...

Peegee
04-06-2004, 06:50 AM
Liquid Snake kthx. Other nominations include Tangram from VOOT *nod* As for random bosses, Jagaruandi from VOOM is also cool.

Yes you guys have no idea who these bosses are. I don't care :aimmad:

The Man
04-08-2004, 03:11 AM
Five days later, I still say Luca Blight.

Doomgaze
04-08-2004, 03:17 AM
Psycho Mantis. By far.

Shoyku
04-08-2004, 03:46 AM
Psycho Mantis. By far.Good choice, the guy who could read your memory card and was so awesome, you had to switch controller ports just to touch him.

Big D
04-08-2004, 11:01 PM
What I liked about Mantis was the convincing degree of 'evilness' he possessed. He was very twisted, and the whole back-story about his past explained it well. In a way, he was a kind of victim of his own abnormalities, but he took his hatred of greed, sexuality and humanity in general to extremes.

Imperia
04-08-2004, 11:39 PM
I've always liked Robotnik (Eggman) as a villain. I think he's a better villain than Bowser. I think villains like Sephiroth, Kefka, and Thanatos (Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu II) are really great too.

Stayin Dizzy
04-09-2004, 06:20 AM
Terringama & Illusion of Gaia had awesome villians IMO. I'd also have to say Ganon beyond any reasoning. Fate from CC. Kain. The SHREDDER!!! I loved that freaky giggling purple robed guy from Super adventure island. I love a lot more villians but am too tired to think of more

Imperia
04-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Oh, yeah! Gannon! He's a great villain too. Especially in The Wind Waker...

I always thought Andross (Starfox series) was neat as a villain as well. Creepy, evil monkey... It's always great when Fox blasts him! :D

Hanoi
04-27-2004, 03:24 AM
1: Sephiroth - Final Fantasy 7
2: Revolver Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid + Metal Gear Solid: Substance
3: Domino Hurley - Grim Fandango
4: Clovis - Blade Runner
5: Joneleth Irenicus - Baldurs Gate 2
6: Ramirez - Skies of Arcadia
7: Viktoria - Thief 1 + 2
8: Luminon Saman - Deus Ex: Invisible War
9: Seifer Almassy - Final Fantasy 8
10: Walton Simons - Deus Ex

Behold the Void
04-27-2004, 05:36 AM
Albedo from Xenosaga was pretty cool, but his "gear" was really crappy so he lost points there.

Grahf is really cool, especially since Spoiler He is Lacan, a former incarnation of Fei who goes insane after Sophia, Elly's former incarnation sacrifices herself in order to save him, as is Id and Krelian, all from Xenogears.

Kefka, definitely, and Ganon too.

I'm going to say Chocobos since they were preventing me from getting something I wanted rather badly (a.k.a. the Caldabolg) which is something any good villain does.

Smithy, just because Mario RPG is a classic.

The Master Hand because I just find fighting a giant hand funny.

Vermachtnis
04-27-2004, 09:40 PM
Mother Brain, I mean she set's in a jar and is commander of a huge army.
Kefka, reasons already mentioned.

Rase
05-05-2004, 01:34 AM
In no specific order:

Zeromus (FFIV)
Kefka (FFVI)
Ganon/Ganondorf (LEgend of Zelda series)
Revolver Oceclot (Metal Gear Solid, Metel Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes)
Bowser (Mario series)
Viktoria (Thief: The Dark Project, Thief II: The Metal Age) Note: Viktoria does help you some in Thief II, but mostly is just a pain.
Karras (Thief II: The Metal Age)

Many more, but I can't think of them at the moment. If I do, I'll post them.

RSL
05-05-2004, 04:02 AM
Mike Tyson from Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-05-2004, 04:32 AM
Ultros. =D

The Man
05-06-2004, 12:33 AM
Ultros was brilliance incarnate, but I was never able to think of him as a villain. An antagonist, sure, but I can't imagine his motives being directly evil. Just greedy and self-serving.

Someone listed Zeromus? To each his own, I guess, but I thought it was a pretty crappy end boss. Other than the fact that it was HARD AS FREAKING HELL.

Yamaneko
05-06-2004, 12:41 AM
Ultros is so lovable.

The gravity in Tetris that makes the blocks fall is the best villain. What kind of sick, twisted being makes blocks fall to the beat of Russian music?

The Man
05-06-2004, 12:42 AM
I was so sad in Tetris when the screen filled up :(

CURSE YOU, GRAVITY

Rase
05-06-2004, 01:52 AM
Someone listed Zeromus? To each his own, I guess, but I thought it was a pretty crappy end boss. Other than the fact that it was HARD AS FREAKING HELL.

Yep, to each his own. :D

Trumpet Thief
05-06-2004, 02:34 AM
Spoilers Ahead

Definetly Albedo!

Although he had a reason for being th antagonist, he is probably the best one ever. The one scene where he shows MOMO his invincibilty, by ripping off his own arm, and his head, and making them reapear.

The lines in the fight are awesome as well. For instance, when he uses Ruby Fist: "C'mon, C'mon, C'mon, C'mon, C'mon! Now die!"

Or when he uses Pheonix Wing: "Burn in the depths of hell!"

Kefka comes in a close second, followed by Sephiroth.