PDA

View Full Version : FFT and FFTA

Savannah
04-03-2004, 09:20 PM
I haven't played either of these games and don't really want to, but I've heard that they take place in Ivalice, the same world as FFXII, and I've even heard FFXII called something of a sequel to them. I really hope this isn't true; I'm vying for FFXII standing out completely on its own. What do you guys think?

Bahamut2000X
04-03-2004, 09:51 PM
In a sense, it's a sequeal, but it takes place many many years after the evnts of FFT and FFTA. From the way the plot sounds it doesn't seem much of the plots of the Tactics series gets involved rather then the same world, the judges, and the races.

So I wouldn't worry about it. The game will be complety unique even though it's set in the same world as a previous FF.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-03-2004, 10:19 PM
The worlds of FFT, FFTA, and FFXII are all called Ivalice, and there are certainly a lot of things common among them, but there are plenty of other things that keep them separate.

FFT's Ivalice had humans, monsters, and some convoluted political strife with dramatic conflicts carried out by armies. FFTA's Ivalice was, most importantly, the product of a fictional storybook setting called Ivalice and Mewt Randell's mind; it had humans, monsters, bangaas, vieras, n'mou, môguri, a single undisputed ruling kingdom, and generally lighthearted competition between clans in search of treasure, with battles almost never ending in real deaths thanks to an omnipresent police force.

FFXII's Ivalice certainly won't be too much like either one of the preceding worlds to bear the name, but so far it certainly seems to have more in common with FFTA than FFT--bangaas, vieras, and judges at least--although definitely minus that whole "all in a wussy kid's head" factor.

Del Murder
04-04-2004, 03:29 AM
FFXII is the 'Final Fantasy' game that the kids talk about in FFTA. That's why the world they go to is similar to what is in FFXII. But as far as I know the games aren't directly related, as in the events of one are not affected by the events of the other.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-04-2004, 04:00 AM
Unless Adramelech is in FFXII, it isn't the game the kids talk about.

Big D
04-04-2004, 05:31 AM
Isn't XII set roughly a millennium apart from the others? That's enough of a time difference for it to be reasonably considered an entirely new story, even a new world.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-04-2004, 06:41 AM
It can't just be a difference of time. A thousand years isn't nearly enough for species like bangaas and vieras to evolve.

DocFrance
04-04-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi
It can't just be a difference of time. A thousand years isn't nearly enough for species like bangaas and vieras to evolve.

*ahem* Magic? You could say that it would take millions of years for a planet's land masses to rearrange themselves, but lo and behold, that happened in less than a year in FFVI.

I've said it before, and I'll say it a thousand times more - this is Final Fantasy, not Final Fact.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-04-2004, 08:18 AM
That those races could just sprout out of nowhere without drawing any special attention and be treated as if they had always been around is beyond my threshold for willful suspension of disbelief.

Big D
04-04-2004, 12:42 PM
Good point. Maybe those races actually were there in FFT, just they were completely uninvolved with the 'human story' and kept to themselves, perhaps in a more primitive state of existence?

I mean, take the Macalania Forest spirits from FFX-2. They're scarcely noticeable in X, there's barely a hint at what they really are; but come X-2, and they've got number of sub-plots going on around them. Times change, and people(s) change with them.