PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Everyone Hate LoD???

Avalon_Beouvle07
04-04-2004, 07:06 AM
Its graphics may not be the greatest graphics in the world, but Legend of Dragoon is a really fun game. i think it is, anyway......but everyone seems to hate it because of the graphics, the same way everyone hated the Bouncer because you could beat it within thirty minutes.......:love: :love: I like Legend of Dragoon, so shoot me! is there anyone else out there that does, or why does everyone hate it so much.........? *if anyone knows about the ending, pm me, plz*:love: :love:

TheAbominatrix
04-04-2004, 07:11 AM
The graphics didnt bother me, it was the terrible battle system, lame storyline, and flat characters that made it crap for me.

sora
04-04-2004, 09:22 AM
i quite liked it even though i played the demo

Autumn_Willow
04-04-2004, 10:46 AM
its the first ever rpg i played, so my heart goes with LOD. :D

Black Mage
04-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by TheAbominatrix
The graphics didnt bother me, it was the terrible battle system, lame storyline, and flat characters that made it crap for me.

Add horrible dialogue, and you're set.

Kirobaito
04-04-2004, 11:38 PM
I played it, and got close to the end of the 4th disc. I realized that there wasn't much substance there...they were trying too hard. The names are amongst the worst I have ever seen for a video game. Right up there with FFX. The storyline wasn't much either. I liked the fact that they talked, though, in the FMVs. Unfortunately, there was nothing else there.

Avalon_Beouvle07
04-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by TheAbominatrix

Warning: may contain spoilers for some
When you think about it, the characters are kind of flat, aren't they.....I mean, let's take a look at everything....King Albert (my fave character) is only a fill-in for Lavitz Slambert, who died before the 1st disc even ended. Miranda is only a fill-in for Shana, Meru was just there....Haschel was only important because of his family bond with Dart.....Kongol was just there......the only important ones in the whole game are Dart, Shana and Rose. :mad2: Nobody else really has a spotlight in the game, and that really sucks since I really don't even like any of those characters....but the game is really a lot of fun to me. I'm not going to care too much about the ending, since I know it's just going to be about Dart and Shana kissing and whatever....but I like the storyline, and I wish they could have made the game for the PS2 or something. I wish it could have been made now instead of twenty years ago.

The FMVs are cool, btw!!:p

(sorry about the spoiler thing- i don't know how to do that fancy 'hide the spoilers' thing):love: :love:

Sephex
04-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Black Mage
Add horrible dialogue, and you're set.

*After beating a Fire Dragon*

"DART: That was a hot fight."

Lord Chainsaw
04-05-2004, 09:14 PM
I do think Legend of Dragoon gets hated on very unfairly. It's just one of those games that is popular to hate.

I find it much better than any final fantasy ever made, with the exception of Final Fantasy VII.

I loved the battle system. It was far better than the boring ATB system of Final Fantasy that puts me to sleep. The ATB is probably my one gripe with Final Fantasy, and I was so glad they did better than that in Legend of Dragoon. There was always something to do during battle, whether it was boosting magic spells, hitting the dragoon attack circle, or just using additions.

My only problem with the battle system in Legend of Dragoon was that magic could not be used outside of the Dragoon form, limiting your battle possibilites to either attack, defend or item. Most of the battle centered around additions, but since I absolutely loved the addition system, that didn't bother me at all.

As for the story, I have to say it's better than half the Final Fantasy stories out there. I thought it was awesome and very original. The Creator Soa, the Divine Tree, the Moon Child and the 108 fruits. How is that not-original? There are cliche elements in the story, but it in itself is still pretty original. The storyline was very deep. I recently played through the game again about a month ago and I found things I didn't find the first time, such as the REAL motive behind Melbu Frahma and the Divine Moon Objects.

I only have one gripe with the storyline. That would be

Legend of Dragoon villain outline in a nutshell:

SPOILERS

Character A (Emperor Doel) is manipulating his kingdom and causing unspeakable evil! Stop him! But no...character B (Lloyd) is actually the one manipulating character A! Stop him now! No...that's not right...Character C (Zieg Feld) has been manipulating them both all along. Stop him! But wait...in the last five minutes we learn Character D (Melbu Frahma) has been manipulating everybody throughout the whole game all along! Stop him, who we have only seen in for five seconds in one FMV on the second disk, and save the world.

Yeah I have a complaint about Melbu Frahma, who I consider to be one of the worst villains of all time. What the hell was he in his final form anyways? A fat turtle in a Rayden hat? But other than that I consider the story to be excellent. And I loved the characters. Especially Albert. That guy was THE LADIES MAN! Does anybody remember the smooth way he got Princess Emille?

Emille: When can we meet again?

Albert: When the stars fill the sky.

Dart: You can simply say "tonight".

God that part made me laugh so hard. Then there was Kongol, who was also a funny character. I remember a certain scene on the Queen Fury with Meru were she covers your eyes and you can say "I doubt it, but is that you Kongol?" She'll kick you.

I love Legend of Dragoon. It's probably the most fun I've ever had with an RPG game. The story is great, the battle system is great (far from flawless though), and above all, it is just plain FUN. I'd rank it in my top 5 RPG games of all time. It'd probably stack up snugly right under Final Fantasy 7, Breath of Fire II, Vagrant Story, and Star Ocean.

TheAbominatrix
04-05-2004, 10:30 PM
As with everything, it's simply opinion and matters of preference. I was actually very excited to play LoD, I'd been waiting for quite some time. And then I was very disappointed by the characters who were, despite what Avalon said, just as flat as the graphics, not to mention stereotypical. It was boring and slow, it dragged, the dialogue was bad, and it was just... bad.

Kirobaito
04-06-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Lord Chainsaw
As for the story, I have to say it's better than half the Final Fantasy stories out there. I thought it was awesome and very original. The Creator Soa, the Divine Tree, the Moon Child and the 108 fruits.

This plot was too original. It got to the point where you were like, 'Geez, these guys are trying too hard to make a great RPG.' They wanted to be SO creative in their plot that it just got stupid and confusing.

Lord Chainsaw
04-06-2004, 06:48 PM
I guess the problem with the plot could have been that for the first 3 discs you didn't really know what was going on, and they just threw everything at you at the very end of the 3rd disc and on the 4th disc.

That would probably contribute to the plot being overwhelming for some people. As a writer, I like complex plots. Perhaps the game would have been more well received if they had spread the plot out across the four discs instead of revealing everything at the very end (the scene with Charle Frahma on the fourth disc comes to mind).

It's far from flawless, but then again, no game is flawless. It all comes down to how much you enjoy the characters, the story, and of course the gameplay.

Some people complain about only being able to carry 32 items. Well there's a reason for that. Since the recovery items heal by % instead of by a set amount, it prevents 2 characters spamming the 50% heal to all character potion while the third character pummels the boss until he's dead. It adds the element of strategy to the fight.

I also have to add one final thing: The music to this game SUCKS.

The victory music is terrible, and the Melbu Frahma battle theme? Horrid. Then again, everything about Melbu Frahma is horrid.

Andex
04-16-2004, 09:56 PM
I loved the game.

Erdrick the Hero
04-19-2004, 12:18 AM
i have a particular love for this game. When i was bored out of my mind when i was recovering from my ACL surgery, there was only one game that kept me occupied... and that would be LoD.

screw you guys for talking harshly about it. Flat characters? every character ever is flat by your standards then. does a character have to have a mental problem to be deep these days?

graphics? its Playstation!

gameplay? this was the only game i have every played that i DIDNT fall asleep in the middle of a fight. I admit, the hitting the square button or whatever one it was, could get annoying, but it added to the difficulty of the game.

storyline? i was pretty glued into it, they do slap ya with a lot at the end, but if you didn't see a plot twist at the end, you are fooling yourself. All games have plot twists at the end.

so :tongue: to all of you guys

Ariel
04-19-2004, 10:56 PM
LoD isn't a bad game, it just could have been a lot better.

"Hey, you!! Hey, classy brother!!"

*guy and girl get thrown overboard and are found after being feared dead* "Did the two of you get into a romantic situation?" Yeesh.

The translation was terrible, unless it was original dialogue. Which still would have been terrible. The characters all seemed the same, mostly because of the way they spoke.

I didn't mind the battle system, though a way of using magic outside of Dragoon form would have been neat. I liked the graphics and general look of the game, and the whole Dragoon transformation idea came off in a very nifty way. It just could have been a much better game than it was. *nod*

GrimmReaper
04-20-2004, 12:55 AM
Heh. I've tried the game.. time after time, (over the course of a couple years mind you) I've tried to get back into the game..... a save file would be erased, and i would only be so far...or it would be damaged, or lost, or just gone. I could have just not played for a long time, and have no clue wtf is going on...

I had a pretty crappy opinion of the game, for lack of interest in it.

darkchrono
04-26-2004, 08:05 AM
The characters and storyline could not have been any worse than ff8's were.

Course I never played LOD so I wouldn't know.

I have heard it is just one big ff7 rip-off though.