PDA

View Full Version : Espers and old Sci Fi

Clyde Arronway
04-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Who else knows this secret part of fantasy history (I mostly ask to make sure I'm right)

Since most Rpg fans aren't fans of bad Sci-Fi, or at least outdated Sci-Fi, does anyone else recognize the link between espers and E.S.P.-ers?
In the days of early sci-fi, extra sensory perception was used way too much for it's own good, and the word Esper was used at least once (The second pilot episode of Star Trek the origional Series) to mean psychics.

well, that's my theory... anyone else know about this?

TheAbominatrix
04-04-2004, 11:07 PM
Nah, because the original names of Espers (the correct Japanese name, that is) is Phantom Beasts. They do do a few psychic-like things in the game, but I don't think that's why they were named as such.

Also, if I remember right, Espers are mentioned in myths... I think. Not exactly sure.

Nice theory, though.

Clyde Arronway
04-04-2004, 11:17 PM
Well, everything's better in the japaneese version (except some wonderous quotes) but translators have made a habit of changing words from japan to english into wierd culturally fitting things that no one would actually know... Bah! let's just blame woosley like we always do. :D

TheAbominatrix
04-04-2004, 11:28 PM
Works for me! :D

ZellMog
04-05-2004, 01:49 AM
If you ever read the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley, he uses the term espers a lot, meaning E.S.Per's.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-06-2004, 03:42 AM
I believe that was Woolsey's intent, since I don't credit him as being poetic enough to get the term from the word for "hope" in most Romantic languages--esperanza, espoir, etc.

DJZen
04-06-2004, 04:18 AM
Heh, that was actually the pneumonic I used in spanish class to remember the verb "esperar". :D

Does Woolsey have publicly available contact info? I think it'd be interesting to ask him directly about some of the changes he made.

Flying Mullet
04-06-2004, 04:27 AM
I'm sure that Woolsey hides after it's become apparent how bad some of his translations are.

Big D
04-06-2004, 04:44 AM
'Esprit' comes from the Latin word 'Spiritus', meaning 'spirit'. A possible connection?
I doubt that 'ESPer' had much to do with it, it just doesn't seem so fitting. 'Phantom Beast' doesn't work so well in English, either, so I'm glad something at least a little original was used.

It's possible that 'ESPer' was an influence... after all, FFIX's Eidolons get their name from an old English word for 'phantom', quite a suitable term; but any seven-year-old could tell that THIS word in particular was chosen because of similarities to 'Pokemon', 'Digimon', and other "let's-abduct-animals-with-'mon'-in-their-name-and-make-them-kill-each-other" cartoons. There were lots of words they could've chosen, but purposefully picked the one with familiar genre connotations, I reckon.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-06-2004, 04:57 AM
I really don't think "eidolon" immediately reminded anyone of "pokémon."

Big D
04-06-2004, 05:06 AM
It ends with '-on' and has a similar syllable pattern; it also refers to a magical being that can be called on in battle by an individual... I'm convinced that 'Eidolon', out of all the words for 'spirit', was chosen because of that similarity. When I first read that FFIX's summons spells were to be called 'Eidolons', I immediately panicked and ran to the dictionary to make sure it was a real, meaningful word and not just a shameless rip-off.

TheAbominatrix
04-06-2004, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Big D
It ends with '-on' and has a similar syllable pattern; it also refers to a magical being that can be called on in battle by an individual... I'm convinced that 'Eidolon', out of all the words for 'spirit', was chosen because of that similarity. When I first read that FFIX's summons spells were to be called 'Eidolons', I immediately panicked and ran to the dictionary to make sure it was a real, meaningful word and not just a shameless rip-off.

Bahamut, I choose you!

DocFrance
04-06-2004, 06:16 AM
OH GOD, stop!

Clyde Arronway
04-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Eidolon is Koine Greek for Idol... all greek nouns of that variaty end with on