PDA

View Full Version : FFV Vs. FFMQ

Flying Mullet
04-05-2004, 03:25 PM
If there was a FFMQ forum, which forum would get more traffic, The Final Fantasy forum or the Final Fantasy Mystic Quest forum?

Del Murder
04-05-2004, 06:17 PM
V gets plenty of traffic you silly goose. Plus Shadow isn't here to (ab)use the MQ Forum.

Sephex
04-05-2004, 08:28 PM
FFMQ would get more traffic. Why? Because me and ed wanted one awhile ago. Chances are, we would sit in there and talk about how awesome the game was nonstop until someone got angry and banned us while closing the forums down for good.

Lord Chainsaw
04-05-2004, 09:20 PM
I am pretty upset that KINGDOM HEARTS which is not even a Final Fantasy game gets its own forum, and Mystic Quest doesn't.

Every game with an FF name has a forum, and Mystic Quest doesn't.

I'd be all over that forum. I love Mystic Quest. Hell I like it better than half the FFs out there, including 5 and maybe 6.

I can see the awesome topics now:

Which boss has the best near death pose?

Favorite final weapon?

Poll: How much did you hate the Great Tree?

Who's your favorite secondary party member?

Which mini boss had the coolest name?

Post here to be part of the Squidite fanclub.

and of course...

Did anyone beat the Dark King without healing him?

Flying Mullet
04-05-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Lord Chainsaw
Every game with an FF name has a forum, and Mystic Quest doesn't.

Just to clarify, Final Fantasy Adventure and Final Fantasy Legends 1-3 don't have their own forum, althought hey aren't technically Final Fantasies either.

Dreadlock
04-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Hay lord chainsaw KH is made from the makers of FF.

Flying Mullet
04-06-2004, 01:45 AM
But it doesn't have Final Fantasy in the name.

The Man
04-08-2004, 03:08 AM
FFMQ sucks.

DJZen
04-08-2004, 04:30 AM
I'd post on the MQ forum....

black orb
04-08-2004, 05:26 AM
>>> FFMQ deserves a forum, FFV is better than MQ, MQ doesnt suck, MQ is better than FF8 and FF6..

eestlinc
04-08-2004, 05:29 AM
this is sacrilege to even discuss

PeTeRL90
04-08-2004, 05:34 AM
It'd be nice to have an FFMQ forum. I'd visit it.

The Man
04-09-2004, 04:04 AM
this is sacrilege to even discuss
dg

Kirobaito
04-09-2004, 05:05 AM
Chipmunks ARE special.

ZellMog
04-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Mystic Quest was the first FF I ever owned. Tis a classic I tells ya! Well, it's definitely underrated, at the very least. :mog:

DJZen
04-10-2004, 05:57 AM
Agreed. It's not my favorite by any means, but I still enjoy it a lot.

eestlinc
04-10-2004, 05:59 AM
Comparing the greatness of FFV to the utter poo of Mystic Quest is beyond forgiveable.

HOOTERS
04-10-2004, 03:56 PM
FFMQ was a great game I might even compare it to oh let's say FFV.

eestlinc
04-10-2004, 06:59 PM
only a drunk person would say that.

Lord Chainsaw
04-10-2004, 07:53 PM
>>> FFMQ deserves a forum, FFV is better than MQ, MQ doesnt suck, MQ is better than FF8 and FF6..

And X-2.

crono_logical
04-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Did anyone beat the Dark King without healing him?>_>
<_<
Me, I didn't know about that when I played that game :p

Anything's better than most of X-2, except maybe the battle system :p

The Man
04-11-2004, 10:52 PM
MQ is better than *snip* FF6..
I truly don't understand how anyone could believe that. :(

Mr. Graves
04-12-2004, 12:19 AM
But he is right in saying FF5 it's better than MQ. :cool:

The Man
04-12-2004, 02:45 AM
You mean, he's right in saying FFV is better than Mystic Quest? Yes. I don't think it takes much effort to be better than Mystic Quest though.

Mr. Graves
04-12-2004, 03:52 AM
Although it is comparable to FF10. I'll fix that horrible typo too. *does*

black orb
04-12-2004, 06:51 AM
I truly don't understand how anyone could believe that. :(
>>> Thats because you are a FF6 fan..
I can compare FF6 with FF2, because both games were super tedious and boring.. I liked the characters though.

DJZen
04-12-2004, 07:24 AM
You can hurt the dark king by healing him? COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!! Nah, I just beat him old school style. With my trusty sword in one hand and an empty pack of bubblegum in the other.

The Man
04-15-2004, 11:54 PM
What I don't understand is how anyone could in their right mind think that Mystic Quest is a better game than FF6. FF6 has a lot of RPG cliches, yes, but they're all executed quite well, I find. Mystic Quest's dialog made me gag. The battle system is simplistic in FF6, but Mystic Quest gives you the option to re-do a battle every time you lose. About the only redeeming factor I found in MQ was the soundtrack, and FF6 wins there too, what with having arguably the best VG soundtrack ever composed and all.

I dunno, I didn't give MQ the benefit of a complete playthrough, but all my friends who did brave the whole game said it doesn't get any better. I've tried to erase my experience playing it from my memory, it was that scarring.

BG-57
04-16-2004, 01:48 AM
I played FFMQ all the way through and maximized my characters levels and items (much easier than in most FFs). It was fun, if basic. My only issue was the two party system was deadly if you fought monsters that petrified. I've never lost a three or four person party in that way but tons of times in FFMQ.

I'm waiting for someone to start talking about Chipmunks. Several people have voted for them after all. :greenie:

black orb
04-16-2004, 03:21 AM
What I don't understand is how anyone could in their right mind think that Mystic Quest is a better game than FF6. FF6 has a lot of RPG cliches, yes, but they're all executed quite well, I find. Mystic Quest's dialog made me gag. The battle system is simplistic in FF6, but Mystic Quest gives you the option to re-do a battle every time you lose. About the only redeeming factor I found in MQ was the soundtrack, and FF6 wins there too, what with having arguably the best VG soundtrack ever composed and all.
>>> Yeah, is obvious that FF6 is superior as a game than MQ, but the fun factor is the most important thing to me.. and FF6 wasnt fun.

The Man
04-16-2004, 04:02 AM
fair enough. FFVI was a bit too serious to be "fun" in the traditional sense, but then again, you could say the same thing of FFVII and really, every FF game that followed except FFX-2 and FFIX.

eestlinc
04-16-2004, 04:58 AM
and that's why ff5 and ff9 are the most fun.

black orb
04-16-2004, 05:20 AM
>>> Despite It was too dark for my taste, FF7 was a truly revolutionary game..

Rase
04-16-2004, 06:15 AM
I would go to a FF:MQ Forum. Granted, it certainly isn't the best FF, but it is fun none the less.

The Man
04-16-2004, 09:51 PM
and that's why ff5 and ff9 are the most fun.
Oy!

>>> Despite It was too dark for my taste, FF7 was a truly revolutionary game..
Graphically, certainly. Storywise it didn't really bring much new to the series though. The idea of a "puppet villain" like Sephiroth had been used already in FFIV, and the idea of a gigantic evil corporation/empire that creates a monster bigger and more dangerous than itself was a trademark of FFVI. FFVII's biggest strength, I think, was taking what had worked so well about the earlier games and uniting them into one coherent whole, but unfortunately it lacks the challenge of the earlier games as well, and the story ranks almost as high as Xenogears and Chrono Cross in terms of confusingness. RPGs would be very different and much less popular if there were no FFVII, though, there's no questioning that.

Lord Chainsaw
04-17-2004, 02:35 AM
Final Fantasy VII does lack challenge, however, Final Fantasy 6 is much easier.

Bosses go down in about 4 hits in Final Fantasy 6. Economizer + Gem Box and ultima or quick is the equivalent of Knights of the Round, only MUCH easier to obtain. Atma Weapon + Genji Glove + Offering + Pearl Lance (if you're lucky) can kill just about anything in one hit, which is even stronger than Knights of the Round, and much easier to obtain.

If you have Sabin in your party, almost any battle for a good portion of the game can be won in a single blitz with no penalty at all.

Kefka is the easiest Final Fantasy final boss of all time whereas Sephiroth when Cloud is level 99 can be very challenging.

I remember getting to level 30 (Floating Island Range Level) before going to Mount Koltz. And quite honestly, it didn't even take that long. I would have breezed through the rest of the game IF THE CART HADN'T RESET ON ME ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

The Man
04-17-2004, 02:41 AM
Not only that, but to obtain Knights of the Round in the first place you have to go through all that chocobo breeding crapola. That's hard in a different way (i.e. it sucks)

Kefka might be pretty easy, but you can't even lose to Yu Yevon. Don't think there's a comparison there. FFX in general seems to be easier than FFVI, which makes me sad; both FFVII and FFIX were more challenging than ffvi, and I was hoping FFX would hold with the trend.

black orb
04-17-2004, 03:23 AM
>>> You want a challenge? go and beat Emerald Weapon..

The Man
04-17-2004, 03:26 AM
Emmy is certainly challenging, but it's not challenging in the same way beating Zeromus or NeoExdeath or Atomos or any of a bunch of other bosses was challenging - it's not really part of the main game. You can do Emmy any time you want; if you want to advance the story, though, you've got to beat Atomos and NeoExdeath and Zeromus.

That said, the absence of a Shinryû/Omega/Emmy-style monster in FFVI was, to say the least, disappointing. It also made leveling up to 99 virtually worthless.

black orb
04-17-2004, 03:33 AM
Zeromus or NeoExdeath or Atomos
>>> I know the first two, but I dont remember fight a superboss named Atomos.. Is from FF3 or maybe FF4?.
BTW Gilgame from FF5 was challenging too..

Rase
04-17-2004, 04:12 AM
Is from FF3 or maybe FF4?.

Zeromus is the boss of FFIV.

DJZen
04-17-2004, 04:16 AM
the absence of a Shinryû/Omega/Emmy-style monster in FFVI was, to say the least, disappointing. It also made leveling up to 99 virtually worthless.

FF6 had Ultima Weapon (translated as Atma Weapon) but they did make him very weak and he's not optional. They DID have the ENTIRE WoR though. Everything in there is optional. The thing about FFVI is that it isn't as much about battles and battle abilities the way other FFs are. It's a lot more story driven.

Getting back on subject, I was wondering, does anyone else have graphical issues when emulating FFMQ? My version can't do the battle affected sprites (burned/frozen) properly. Does this happen to others?

The Man
04-17-2004, 07:23 AM
>>> I know the first two, but I dont remember fight a superboss named Atomos..Atomos isn't technically a superboss; he's the boss of one of the towers in FF5's second world, and he's exceedingly difficult to beat.

BTW Gilgame from FF5 was challenging too..
Yeah. I forgot him because I never actually fought him myself (I didn't even know where to find him on my playthrough of FF5), but I've heard stories and he sounds like a mean ol' bugger.

black orb
04-18-2004, 04:31 AM
>>> I remember Atomos now, yeah he was kinda challenging, the trick is just kill him before he eat your characters..
>>> Just keep searching/flying through the world map, look at the mountains and you`ll find a new cave entrance, there is Gilgame..

The Man
04-18-2004, 10:40 PM
>>> I remember Atomos now, yeah he was kinda challenging, the trick is just kill him before he eat your characters..

Yeah, figuring that out is the easy part of fighting him. Actually doing that is the hard part. ;)

I'll look for Gilgame on my next playthrough of the game.

Lord Chainsaw
04-19-2004, 04:24 AM
I'd have to say that Zeromus is harder than any super boss FF7 up. I'm a firm believer in strong final bosses. I think that a final boss should be very hard, and test everything you've learned in the entire game, as he is the final challenge before the credits.

Big Bang is so annoying, and even has a slight damage over time effect on it. I haven't really seen whether or not the DoT stays in effect after he casts his Weak spell. If so then Zeromus has got to be a boss almost as cheap as Xagor.

After Final Fantasy V, the difficulty of the games just started declining.

I think today's FFs have gotten softer. When Nemesis in FFX is easier than Zeromus from FFIV, you know something just isn't right. What was once normal in difficulty has become completely optional now. What was the most recent Final Fantasy dungeon as difficult as the Ice Cave from Final Fantasy I?

Rase
04-19-2004, 04:44 AM
I hear that brother. :D
I don't think the "Big Bang" is what causes the DoT. I think it's the "Virus" spell he casts on you. Have to look into that...
But yeah, Zeromus is VERY hard unless you over level.

black orb
04-20-2004, 04:33 AM
>>> The FF5 and FF8 omega weapon were difficult too, the FF10 Omega was pathetic..

i90east
04-23-2004, 03:00 AM
Well if people can play through FFVI more than 5 times it must not be that bad. :) FFMQ is cool when it's the only game you have, but nowadays it's not worth the time. I played all the way through it in one day. I don't think an FFMQ forum would generate much traffic though it would help generate more interest in the game.

DJZen
04-23-2004, 05:32 AM
One day? Christ, man, you need to get yourself out of the house more!

i90east
04-24-2004, 06:23 PM
It was during winter break on a day when it was like 10 degrees below zero outside. That was more than 10 years ago.