PDA

View Full Version : FFVI Expert Version 2 is released

i90east
04-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Yes that's right, my EV2 project is complete. You can download it and view all the information about the project at the link below:

FFVI Expert Version 2 Info & Download Page (http://www.cyberveldt.com)

DocFrance
04-05-2004, 11:16 PM
Hey, thanks for mentioning me in the credits! I'll try it out some time.

Strider
04-06-2004, 01:51 AM
Might as well. Yee haw.

DocFrance
04-06-2004, 02:11 AM
Gawd, the battle to save Terra is impossible! It's really frustrating.

Danger
04-06-2004, 02:32 AM
Woohoo. The first installment was great, this one seems like it has real potential. I barely managed to beat Kefka the last time and now he has double the hit points... should be fun.

I like that the spells have improved accuracy as well as a bit lower evade monsters.. that was a really annoying at the start of version 1.

Flying Mullet
04-06-2004, 02:36 AM
Alright, good to see a newer version. :rock:

Stayin Dizzy
04-06-2004, 03:59 PM
Have you ever contemplated pitching this game to square? That would be awesome to se a ps2 ff6 expert version.

Danger
04-07-2004, 07:42 PM
I don't know if its completely legal enough to pitch to Square. I'm having a great time with the game though. And overall increase in difficulty over the last edition, yet no more almost impossible enemies (that stupid lizard man thing next to south figaro in the first version was near impossible unless you confused him and used magic).
One thing I would love to see would be FAQ page in the FFVI section of this site along with a link to the rom. Greatness should be preserved. Good job i90 on this one!!

PS: It's almost impossible to save Terra by killing all of the bad guys, just run strait to the boss with Mogs group avoiding them... that's how I managed. And put the guys with long range weapons in the back row.

Strider
04-07-2004, 10:00 PM
I was actually able to save Terra with relative ease. Of course, it helps that Mog killed the final dude in one fell swoop. . .

Vargas, however, was another story. Eesh! I'm workin' through the scenarios right now, but my emulator is messin' up for now. :( I'm hopin' it gets better soon, because I'm diggin' the new rendition so far.

m4tt
04-08-2004, 02:13 AM
I haven't noticed much of a difference. Of course, I've only just beat Whelk. :p

DocFrance
04-08-2004, 02:43 AM
Trust me, you'll see it soon.

I'm in the middle of Sabin's scenario, after finishing the other two. I can imagine the battle in Narshe is going to make me rip my hair out.

m4tt
04-08-2004, 03:58 PM
Oh, I don't doubt that I'll have problems. FFIV hard type pisses me off to no end, so I'm sure this will do the same. :p

LingaringBell
04-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Hey i90 East, i have a question, what is the .IPS file for that you have for download witih the expert version?
Thanks

Marble
04-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Some changes I don't fully understand, like the Battle Theme thingy, and having a black Leo. Erm. But whatever, I'll check it out.

EDIT: Oh ****, it's an IPS patch. I never understood how to patch those.

EDIT2: Swearword filters, eh :-/

i90east
04-10-2004, 04:32 PM
I'll be phasing out the full ROM file due to legal reasons so you'll have to use the IPS file to patch your own ROM file. I just opened up my new website at www.cyberveldt.com (EDIT: updated the url). On the download page you will find instructions for patching the ROM. If you still need any help let me know. :)

m4tt
04-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Ah.... see I didn't know you had to do any patching. That would be why I didn't notice any difference probably. :p

Marble
04-10-2004, 05:57 PM
Hmmm yes. Thanks. ;)

I'm only in the Narshe Mines yet, but I have one thing to say...
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO OUR HP?

i90east
04-10-2004, 09:28 PM
On the old webpage I offer the full ROM and the patch, but if you download the full ROM you don't need the patch file. The patch is an option for those who don't want to spend 30 minutes downloading the 2mb ROM file. I will be taking off the full ROM tonight along with eventually phasing out the old page all together.

Marble, the damage scale was reduced by near 50%.

DocFrance
04-10-2004, 09:49 PM
God damn this is tough. I'm stuck on the Phantom Train right now... any tips?

m4tt
04-11-2004, 12:04 AM
So.. the 2MB rom file is the FULL rom? Oh, well then I guess I do have the hard type.

Are the Repo men supposed to cast Flare on themselves? :p

i90east
04-11-2004, 03:11 AM
DocFrance focus on killing one enemy at a time, especially the ones with the most powerful attacks (like Hazer). Try using Cyan's Retort for big counter damage. Also have your ghosts possess the hardest monsters. I hope that helps. :)

Repo Man is supposed to cast Flare on himself. Flare is one of Repo Man's sketch attacks meaning he must cast the spell in battle. However there is no way Terra can survive Flare so early in the game so instead of creating a cheap instant death situation for the player I had Repo Man cast Flare on himself.

Kirobaito
04-11-2004, 03:26 AM
Meh. What the hell? I died in the Narsh Mines with Terra by herself in one hit from one of those damn rats! That's frickin' crap!

DocFrance
04-11-2004, 07:21 AM
DocFrance focus on killing one enemy at a time, especially the ones with the most powerful attacks (like Hazer). Try using Cyan's Retort for big counter damage. Also have your ghosts possess the hardest monsters. I hope that helps. :) I managed to scrape and crawl my way through the Phantom Train, only to realize that the train itself was ten times easier than its passengers. So now I'm stuck on Baren Falls, and the fish-boss-thing can kill me instantly with El Nino. And I just realized that I didn't fight an Overlord on the Train, so I won't be able to get that Rage for Gau.

Danger
04-11-2004, 07:58 AM
When all else fails.... level up. I got caught up in awful fantasy for the past little bit so I haven't been playing this version (I'm only at the raft ride) but I found in the original hard version I had to level up in a couple areas to scrape through the game. I'm not saying huge levels, but if you're getting killed in one hit from a monster, it's probably time to get a couple levels.
On that fishie there's not much you can do but aurabolt, quadraslice (if you got it) or retort/disbatch. Use potions if you need heal. Put the boys in the back row if you haven't already cause their techs/blitz do same damage from the back (not like it matters against El nino, but any little bit helps). Besides that, good luck.
Don't worry about the rage as long as you fought a stray cat and a hazer along with those Soldiers (or Commanders??) in the imperial camp. You get catscratch, bolt2, fire2 from those. That's enough power for now.

m4tt
04-11-2004, 04:25 PM
Okay, I just got my ass handed to me by the Guards in Narshe. :o I used Mog's party and he whiped us all out with Windslash and Bolt 2.

Strider
04-12-2004, 04:47 AM
I'm with Doc on the Phantom Train thing. Jesus, that part is hard.

DocFrance
04-12-2004, 07:22 AM
Now I'm on the mine-cart escape from Vector. I'm incredibly low on healing items, and my party is Locke, Sabin, and Cyan. Guh. I might have to restart.

I like how you changed the Opera lyrics, but did you have to keep the original correct options? That threw me off three times! But it was funny seeing the remarks...

"Will I... hate... Prince Ralse?
Of course I will!
How could anyone like that jerk!"

i90east
04-14-2004, 04:52 AM
Heh, yeah one of the ideas behind the Opera remix was to make you memorize the script again. By the way did you guys have Shadow and a ghost on the Phantom Train? I had a litte bit of a tough time on the Phantom Train but it wasn't THAT bad. With the boss I kinda figured the player might be tired from all the tough battles and may not want to fight a tough boss at that point. I try not to have too many really tough parts in a row. If I did that people would lose patience and their sanity. :)

Remember to have a good supply of Fenix Downs at all times.

Ishmayl
04-17-2004, 03:06 PM
This patch is awesome. Thanks man! I'm playing it with the Expert Version patch, plus the US Retranslation patch, and it's just awesome.

ForeverZeroUltima
04-18-2004, 01:44 AM
Meh. What the hell? I died in the Narsh Mines with Terra by herself in one hit from one of those damn rats! That's frickin' crap!

lmao :p you ain't gonna survive on the Floating Continent then. o.o...did anyone get that far, by the way?

i90east
05-15-2004, 08:50 PM
I'd just like to let you guys know that I just opened a brand new forum on my website for FFVI hacks and Expert Version 2. I need people to bring it to life so feel free to join in. :) :) :) ;)

DelcoRMC
08-25-2018, 06:35 AM

lmao :p you ain't gonna survive on the Floating Continent then. o.o...did anyone get that far, by the way?

@i90east
I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work in putting together this hack. I actually just finished the floating continent (hard as hell) and I am looking forward to the challenges ahead in the WoR.

For anyone playing, this hack is NOT cheap by any means, it is a glorious remastering and rebalancing of the game. Yes, the difficult is much higher (hence “Expert Verison” but if you consider yourself good at ff3 (sorry I’m old school) then this is the perfect level of challenge. Each random encounter, each boss, needs you to masterfully execute strategy to protect your team while exploiting the enemy’s individual weaknesses.

Some tips:
1) Play the game a few times on standard difficulty before attempting this. EXPERTS ONLY
2) Speaking on for the WoB, you will need to stock up on MANY Fenix Downs, Potions, Tonics, and Elemental Rods or you will fail. Be prepared to have at least one character focused solely on healing while the others attack. Know each characters strengths. You will find otherwise forgotten characters like Celes, Gau, Strago and Relm have a use here if you know how to use them properly.
3) You are going to be “anniliahated”... many times. Use your rom’s save feature frequently! Some of the more difficult bosses, most of them, are going to wreck you. Get used to it; reload and try a different strategy and with a little bit of luck you wil succeed.
4) Winning each of these epic battles of so much more satisfying. I spent 45 minutes chipping away at Intangir before I finally beat him and another 30 in an epic battle with AtmaWeapon. But the intensity is worth the reward of the victory.
5) Don’t use fight. The rom forces you to strategize so get creative.

Dev, thank you so much for your efforts. I am seriously enjoying your rom. Wish I had more time to play it.

If if anyone wants some tips feel free to post here or email me at ryanmcshay@gmail.com

“The End is Beyond Chaos”
-DelcoRMC

DelcoRMC
08-25-2018, 06:38 AM
BTW you can play this through without grinding to level your characters up. I just finished WoB with Shadow LV25 Terra LV26 Sabin LV 27 and Edgar LV28.

Christmas
03-25-2022, 07:11 AM
IS IT STILL AVALIABLE? :bigsmile: