PDA

View Full Version : question for Risk players

darkchrono
04-06-2004, 10:32 AM
I have risk on my ps2 and I have been playing it for awhile. Playing it against six different computer players started becoming a little easy for me.

I adopted the method of just taking austrailia and building up my army while everyone else destroyed eachother.

Well after I started doing that and started winning rather consistently I decided instead of playing with all six to instead just play against one opponet.

I did that and I got my butt beat. Obviously the strategy of taking over austrailia does not work very well when playing against only one opponet. Because instead of sitting back and letting everyone else kill eachother. They instead are killing you and taking over more and more territories on the map.

So which strategies do you guys know of in risk that work well when playing against just one opponet. Because obviously it is a completely different game than it is when playing with all six people.

Dr Unne
04-06-2004, 07:04 PM
When you play against one person, the person who goes first almost always wins. He can just overrun the second character, and then the second character gets no bonus armies because he has hardly any territory left by the time he gets a turn. It's not really fair. I don't think Risk is meant to be played by just two people.

In real board-game Risk there's a way to play with 2 people where you set up a "neutral" player too, as a buffer. 1/3 of the map goes to each real player, and 1/3 of the map belongs to the "neutral" player, who never does anything, just sits in his territory and defends himself if you attack him. Makes the game a bit more balanced, at least.

DocFrance
04-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Risk? On the PS2?

WHY?!?

Don't get me wrong, it's a great game - but why would you waste the performance of a PS2 on a simple game like Risk?

Doomgaze
04-07-2004, 07:57 AM
Axis and Allies is superior to Risk in every way.

eestlinc
04-07-2004, 08:25 AM
Axis and Allies is fun to set up but it gets boring after a few plays throuhg. Risk does too, I suppose.

Anyway, obviously you want to control continents, and ones with fewer points of exposure to other continents are easier to defend, so try and get those to start.

GuitarNinja
04-07-2004, 08:56 AM
Does anyone remember playing risk on the old macintoshes? I refuse to play any other way (fuzzy guy DIE!!!).

Anyway, For a 2 player game i'd say stand your ground and try taking only 1 country (Single land, not continent) per turn for the begining of the game.

DocFrance
04-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Conquering Autralia is the key to victory in any game.

Doomgaze
04-07-2004, 05:18 PM
I actually did that once in Axis and Allies. Germany made a glorious last stand in Australia, until I bribed the American player into switching sides and launching a massive sneak attack on the UK while I struck at India to regain some land.

Playing by the rules is for suckers.