PDA

View Full Version : What I Did Today

Kirobaito
04-07-2004, 05:16 AM
Yeah, I'm now in the biggest trouble of my life.

There's this teacher that REALLY pisses me off. She doesn't like me for no reason, and chooses to show her dislike for me. She was especially bad today, so I wrote her a letter, saying that I think she's a horrendous teacher and such. I give it to her. I'm called to the Principal's Office. I now have to attend counseling.

Is this bs or what? I didn't DO anything wrong. I would like to become a better writer, and this teacher chooses to not teach me how. Everything I wrote in that letter I meant. I don't think she likes me because I'm white. I have many other people in the class that will back up my opinion.

Is this crap or what?

Shoyku
04-07-2004, 05:19 AM
Eh, just ignore the negativity the teacher shows towards you and do the work properly. As long as she doesn't mark in a biased manner, you've got nothing to worry about.

Kirobaito
04-07-2004, 05:25 AM
Well, it's too late to ignore it at this point. It's become quite a big deal. And today was the last day that SHE will accept grades for the marking period that ends on Friday. I went up to show her the last step in a series of assignments that we were supposed to show her, and she informed me that I didn't have a grade for the previous level. I have her writing on the paper, correcting it.

I can't be in the class anymore, especially at this point. I don't understand how I could ever show up again.

Del Murder
04-07-2004, 07:04 AM
What exaclty did you say in this letter?

Schools are the kingdoms of overreacting, it's just a fact of life. I guess they have good reason, because youth is fragile.

eestlinc
04-07-2004, 07:11 AM
i had some horrible teachers too in high school and i usually ended up with C's in their classes. life went on.

Polaris
04-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Yes I know what you are feeling, I had a horrible teacher,too!

It was an english teacher, so one day I asked her if 'cause, exist and she said "NO!", but I saw this 'cause in a lycris and I said to her that 'cause exist so one test I had one wrong and two not complets and she gave me 3 (0-5), that was not fair!

And I got really angry!!!

I hope that when I'll be a teacher that I'd never be like this, I'll always help my students!

sora
04-07-2004, 11:57 AM
yeah i had a nasty teacher once but i asked the principal if i could move form and he said yeah

Meat Puppet
04-07-2004, 12:20 PM
Teacher came on to me once then claimed I was making moves to rape her and touching her inappropriately and shit. I got baddened and so saddened and my dad beat me.

But that's probably the most teacher problem iI have :sad:

Spiritus Sancti
04-07-2004, 12:24 PM
I had a teacher like that once..but i was 7 at the time..I guess its not the same thing.

Sephex
04-07-2004, 03:48 PM
Ride it out, it's not like she can stop you from becoming a writer.

fire_of_avalon
04-07-2004, 04:09 PM
*agrees with Sephex except on the riding it out part* If it's really interfereing with your grades, then before all this counselling mess begins, go to the principle and make your case. If s/he doesn't listen, then at your first counselling session, tell your counselor how you feel. They HAVE to listen.

I never really had a bad teacher in high school. They were all wonderful people and wonderful teachers.

Peegee
04-07-2004, 05:50 PM
Once you get out of stupid high school you'll be fine. Until then try to avoid her in HS; there ARE other teachers for each subject.

Kami
04-07-2004, 05:55 PM
The school year is almost over. You should've wrote her the letter on the last day of the school.

Kirobaito
04-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Well, I did put some things in the letter that I probably shouldn't have; I was pissed, and I wrote how I felt. I said that she doesn't know how to teach and that unless she learns to teach and to treat ALL students fairly, I will try to have her fired.

I skipped her class today, but in about 45 minutes I'll be having a meeting with her and the vice-principal. I didn't tell anyone else about the letter except my friend, but somehow the whole schoo knows. Someone took the letter off her desk and passed it around. So I'm now a hero. :)

From what I've heard, she's overreacting a bit, and I even heard a rumor that she wants to press charges, heh heh. I don't know how, it's not like I threatened to kill her or anything. Oh well. I'll tell ya how the meeting went later today.

Del Murder
04-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Press charges? That's it I'm homeschooling my kids.

Kami
04-07-2004, 06:26 PM
Lol... Can we read this letter? And do tell us all about what happened!!! *anxiousy*

Kirobaito
04-07-2004, 11:45 PM
I don't have a copy of the letter, but here's pretty much it:

Ms. Holt:

I don't think there should be a question that I don't like you. You are the worst teacher I have ever had.

Ya wanna know why? There are many reasons. First of all, you have constantly disrespected me and my friends. I think it is because we are white. You know, it is possible for an African-American to be racist.

I have learned nothing in your class.

[taken out for irrelevance]

Learn to teach. Learn to do the job you wanted to do. And, perhaps, you will receive respect from the students and faculty. I assure you, that if you don't begin to show courtesy and respect towards me and my friends, I will try to have you fired. I have done it before, and I am not afraid to do it again.

I am not the only person who feels this way.

Casey Graham

So there it is. I had a long conversation; of course, she denied every word of it. Nothing is going to change. She still won't respect me or do the job she is paid to do.

Del Murder
04-08-2004, 01:46 AM
Ah, well that explains it. Once you throw down the race card the crap hits the fan. That's probably the most overly sensitive subject in the world. Hopefully everything works out, though.

Shlup
04-08-2004, 01:48 AM
You have two choices:

1) Press the issue and stand up for yourself. Do your best to, intelligently and calmly, let her superiors know how you feel, giving them specific examples.
2) Shut up about it and move on.

It doesn't really matter either way. High school sucks, there's not much you can do about that, but once you graduate its over and no one cares anymore. You can do poorly, go to the cheaper and easier community college, and then transfer to a better school to get your degree.

Kirobaito
04-08-2004, 05:44 AM
Well, she made herself look like a complete asshole. When I say "racist," she treats the African-Americans in the class much differently than everyone else. When we discussed the whole race issue, she said "I treat all people equally. I judge them on the student, not the color." I'm not sure how we got to the next part, but she ended up saying, "There aren't a whole lot of African-American female role models in the world, so I am trying to act as one toward these students, of course I am going to favor them," or something like that. She pretty much claimed that she treated all students equally, then gave an excuse on why she didn't. I could hear Dr. Evil in my head saying "....right...."

That's not the only problem I have had with her, there's the fact that she has discussed with the A-A girls in the class about how this guy had looked down her shirt, quite loudly. This woman is 45+ years old, and I do not want to hear that. Also, yesterday, some random student from the hall came in and said "Ms Holt., that slit is high." He reached down to touch her thigh. She casually slapped his hand away, with a smile on her face, almost flirtatious-like. Quite frankly, I don't wanna hear or see that from my teacher. That is completely inappropriate.

Originally posted by Schlup
You can do poorly, go to the cheaper and easier community college.

**chokes on his own saliva** ...Com...munity...college? I'm 1st in my class, I have never been in trouble, besides this, in my life. I have near perfect attendance. I can only hope that I will go to a college more prestigious that a...community...college. So there. :chop:

She also claims that the reason I'm not learning anything is because she teaches in a different style than I learn at. There are 39 students in the class (which is just horrendous), and she must go with the majority. Actually, she teaches the way the black girls in the class can learn, which there are 5 of 6 of them. The majority of the students are getting anything out of the class either, it's overwhelming. I've never had a good English teacher, so I guess this is par for the course. :p

I'm just happy she made herself look this stupid. Every single time I would bring up a point, she would try to change the subject. I was laughing so hard in my head throughout the conference. It will be fun going back to class tomorrow.

Talus
04-08-2004, 06:04 AM
...Com...munity...college? I'm 1st in my class, I have never been in trouble, besides this, in my life. I have near perfect attendance. I can only hope that I will go to a college more prestigious that a...community...college. So there.

You're joking right?

Kirobaito
04-08-2004, 06:11 PM
No. I have a 4.79 GPA. 3 years ago I scored a 1100 on my SAT.

Stayin Dizzy
04-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Wow, fantastic scholastics I must admit. If I were you I would fight for it. Firstly you need to sneak a tape recorder into class and catch her downsizing/crtisizing/verbally attacking you on tape. Once you have hard evidence request a meeting before the board of directors. Inform them that you have an issue that needs to be addressed, you have evidence, and would like to meet with them before taking this evidence to the press. Make a copy of the tape and leave it with someone you trust, but not a friend (I'd go with a grandparent). Bring witnesses, and state your case before the board. Tell them that you would like a full performance review done on her, and an evaluation of her lesson plans/grading system, and you would like to switch out of the class. If they are not willing to cooperate, tell them "How well, are teachers treating your kids?" sounds like a beautiful headline. They will either A: Give in to your request to save public humiliation, or B: you can meet with the local newspaper, tell them everything, and expose the tape.

My best friend had to go through this with a harassing teacher, and everthing worked out fine. For you its a win/win scenario. You get your way, or you embarrass the school and teacher. Unless you are blowing this all out of proportion. If you seriously feel attacked in the situation though, go for it. Good luck in whatever path you take though.

Del Murder
04-08-2004, 08:57 PM
I don't agree with Daryn's tape recorder idea. I say you just let it go. You got to pick your battles, and you'll be out of her class in less than a year.

I had similar academics to yours KB and believe me I've gotten into more than my fair share of disciplinary trouble. Colleges don't even see that stuff so don't let it scare you.

Kirobaito
04-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Oh, I'm not scared; I wasn't even suspended or anything. It'll be nothing, besides the fact that instead of words coming out of her mouth, I hear both Charlie Brown's teacher's voice and a little man inside my head screaming "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

She definitely treated me better today, extra special. She was scared to disagree with my public insults for fear that she would get fired. This is gonna be a fun final six weeks.

Dragonflame
04-08-2004, 09:24 PM
That's awesome! I want to write threatening letters to my teachers now. I have some really crappy ones. Maybe a letter would help.

Talus
04-08-2004, 10:16 PM
No. I have a 4.79 GPA. 3 years ago I scored a 1100 on my SAT.

I was actually referring to your downplay on community college. If you think that you're better than someone who attends community college you're wrong.

Kirobaito
04-08-2004, 10:18 PM
I don't think I'm better than someone who goes to community college. It's just not the place for me. :)

fire_of_avalon
04-09-2004, 03:47 AM
I don't think I'm better than someone who goes to community college. It's just not the place for me. :)
Sorry to say, but your post did seem a bit condescending. I personally have many intelligent friends attending community college. Don't see it as a wasted degree, see it as a stepping stone towards something better, that is if you don't already.

The tape recording idea is a bad one, you can be sued over that in a number of ways including invasion of privacy and compromising the confidentiality of a classroom.

Kirobaito
04-09-2004, 04:21 AM
Don't take offense in what I said; I just don't think I need that stepping stone.

Yeah, the tape recorder idea is stupid. The school saw how stupid and worthless of a teacher she was, and perhaps they will do something by the end of the year. My school is going through a lot of changes: a transfer of power from one "regime" to the other, if you will. One teacher is being "retired", that is, fired. There will probably be several others. Strangely enough, all of the teachers that are going to be possibly fired are those of mine. The school wants to put more emphasis on high academics, thus, the teachers teaching those high academic classes can't teach them.

Spuuky
04-09-2004, 05:08 AM
Unlike our more politically correct friend, I am quite willing to say that a community college is an inferior education, and that anyone attending a community college falls into one of two categories: A) they are not intelligent enough to attend a real university, or B) they don't have the motivation or willingness to do the necessary hard to work to attend a real university.

And no, there aren't exceptions.

Yamaneko
04-09-2004, 05:12 AM
I go to a "real" university. We listen to some guy talk and take a test.

Kirobaito
04-09-2004, 05:14 AM
Well, actually, Spuuky, there are exceptions. I will be attending a community college next year. That actually makes me the opposite of lazy; I will be a highschool junior and going to college because some classes are not offered at my school, and after next year I will have taken all the history classes my school offers.

Tokki Wartooth
04-09-2004, 05:14 AM
Werd to Spuuky's mother.

Thank god for "university!"

Del Murder
04-09-2004, 06:35 AM
Some people cannot afford university or prefer try college through jc first. In California it is common for people to go to jc to get GE requirements out of the way and then transefer into a four year school, which is actually very smart financially. The UCs are very accepting of jc transfers because it shows the student can do well in a college setting. The first two years of college are meaningless, anyway.

Talus
04-09-2004, 09:25 AM
Unlike our more politically correct friend, I am quite willing to say that a community college is an inferior education, and that anyone attending a community college falls into one of two categories: A) they are not intelligent enough to attend a real university, or B) they don't have the motivation or willingness to do the necessary hard to work to attend a real university.

And no, there aren't exceptions.

Some people have jobs, I don't know if the idea is foreign to you, but community college works out pretty well for people who have to work during the day.

Spuuky
04-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Most real university students have jobs, too. Imagine that.

I understand that some people prefer to go to a community college first. And all 4 years of university are meaningless, not just the first two. I hold by my statement that anyone who is attending a community college rather than a university is doing so for a reason: they aren't willing to work hard enough to go to a university, or they're not capable of it. People who don't go because they would rather take the easier option of taking GEs at a community college are members of the former.

High school students taking classes at a community college are not community college students. Also, considering how ridiculously widespread it is in MY area (I can't speak for any other in this case), the community college has just become a second high school. In fact, the high level high school classes were significantly more challenging and interesting than any classes offered at the community college.

What you have to understand is that school is meaningless no matter what, and you can learn anything you would in a university by studying it your own if you're really motivated enough and willing to work at it. Taking it from a real university just gives you a meaningless degree.