PDA

View Full Version : The 14th century needs a toaster

Flying Mullet
04-07-2004, 02:48 PM
If you could go to the past and take one technological innovation with you, what would it be, and what would our world be like today?

For instance, you could take a gun back with you and give it to some country in the 12th century and now they own half the world because they were able to use it to kick everyone else's booty around.

Sephex
04-07-2004, 03:45 PM
I would bring a Gameboy Advance SP, because I am a loser. Also, I am not creative enough to think of a good answer right now.

fire_of_avalon
04-07-2004, 03:51 PM
So I sat here thinking about this thread for a while, and I realized the constraints that would have to be on this. I mean, if you brought a toaster, it certainly wouldn't work unless it had batteries. So I'd go waaaay waaaay waaaay back and teach them to make shoes or musical instruments or something like that way before their time. Then I'd come back here and everything would be thousands upon thousands of years advanced compared to when I'd left. Then I'd be out of place for the rest of my life and never understand the most simple things. It would be sad.

:(

Doomgaze
04-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Hm. Fireproof safes for the Library of Alexandria.

Kami
04-07-2004, 05:28 PM
A lighter. oh the wonders. Wait! MANY lighters!

Peegee
04-07-2004, 05:45 PM
I'd give the nice people of Mongolia cannons. Or rocket launcers. Or tanks.

Ichy
04-07-2004, 06:25 PM
I would bring money. As much money as I could afford to convert into the currency of my chosen era.... The mid 70s. I would invest all of this money into Microshaft shares and stock, all in monthly increments so as not to appear conspicuous, then return to present day and, well, be filthy rich.

Chaos
04-07-2004, 10:46 PM
I would go back and introduce penicillin. That way hopefully loads more advances in medical science would of happened. Also I'd go tell them about using wind power and hydroelectricity. =D *hugs a tree*

DocFrance
04-07-2004, 11:12 PM
You know, there was a novel about that sort of thing. In Harry Turtledove's Guns of the South, a coporation goes back in time to the American Civil War and gives the Confederate armies AK-47's.

Yamaneko
04-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Remember what happened when Homer killed the Dragonfly? Well, don't change the past unless you want hilarious results.

Kirobaito
04-07-2004, 11:54 PM
You know, there was a novel about that sort of thing. In Harry Turtledove's Guns of the South, a coporation goes back in time to the American Civil War and gives the Confederate armies AK-47's.

I read that book. It was pretty kick-ass.

I would give a gatling gun to a Sumerian. Just to see what would happen.