PDA

View Full Version : Idiots

Dr Unne
04-08-2004, 06:31 AM
If you ran an MB, what would you do to the idiots? I mean people who register at an MB just to break the rules and cause problems and start arguments, or people who are socially inept to the point where they cause problems whether they want to or not.

This MB would be an example of the "ban them all" sort of philosophy, but I've been to places which run under the "let them stay" rule, and it has its benefits as well as its bad side. I've yet to find a place which runs under the third rule, and I won't try to.

eestlinc
04-08-2004, 06:33 AM
What's the third rule, put them on staff?

PeTeRL90
04-08-2004, 06:38 AM
I just ban those people at my board.

Though I'm all about having fun, there's a line between fun and idiots.

Dr Unne
04-08-2004, 06:38 AM
Keep them around to be your friend. Third poll option, I should've said. So yes, putting them on staff would be likely.

eestlinc
04-08-2004, 06:48 AM
yea i don't like how vB3 posts the thread while you are making the poll. Of course, being able to add a poll later is nice.

DocFrance
04-08-2004, 07:17 AM
This is an entirely hypothetical question, right Unne?

Del Murder
04-08-2004, 07:48 AM
I voted before I read Unne's definition of idiot. In his definition yeah we should (and do) ban them all. But by my definition of idiot there are plenty who still post here now. But there are plenty of good people, so my policy is always let the idiots stick around until they break a rule and maybe some courtesy and goodness (like the goodness of quick reply) will rub off on them. :)

Dr Unne
04-08-2004, 08:10 AM
It posts the thread while you're typing the poll? That's terrible.

DocFrance, yes it is hypothetical. I was just browsing an MB where the idiots are never banned, just run out of town by the members, or left to stay and be ignored, and I was curious what people thought of it.

crono_logical
04-08-2004, 09:18 AM
I prefer this place :p The atmosphere at a board where the members annoy the idiots until they go away isn't too pleasant, I think :p

Mikztsu
04-08-2004, 09:31 AM
Before I read Unne's definition of an idiot, I thought they should be kept. You know, stupid members who makes fun of themselves and you can laugh at them. :)

But people who just breaks the rules, causes problems and arguments should be definately banned.

Kossage
04-08-2004, 10:23 AM
Well, I think people who break the rules, cause problems etc. should be banned after giving them a warning and if they still carried on like that and thus ignored the warning. So, the first option in the poll gets my vote.

Erdrick Holmes
04-08-2004, 12:53 PM
I run a message board and I sorta have a low tolerance for idiocy, I'll go as far as banning people for newb typing (PPL HO TYP LIK DIS U R STOOPID)

Loony BoB
04-08-2004, 12:59 PM
I wonder where ASC and tGA would fall. Dunno if they've really had anyone that bad. Or, in ASC's case, if there are rules to break.

Polaris
04-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Miguel was an idiot and I love him.

Hope that doesn't make me an idiot, too...

Well he was kinda boring, horrible and he annoyed me in the other side he was very smart and stuborn.

Jesus, I'm love with an idiot. :conf:

Call an ambulance!!!!! :save:

:rolleyes2 :sweat:

Citizen Bleys
04-08-2004, 02:02 PM
tGA's definitely a "treat them like crap" board, as is Vesper. And PI should be, but Kenjita keeps banning the frellers before we're finished having our fun with them.

Kami
04-08-2004, 02:24 PM
I'd keep 'em around and treat them like dirt. Then i'd ban them. ;)

HOOTERS
04-08-2004, 02:42 PM
I'd give them administratring positions so they can ban all the annoying people who complain.

:smash::smash:

I want to make a forum but I don't know how to and geocities doesn't have that option.:( I can make chocobo-dance.com but sadly there will never be a chocobo-dance.com/forums and also the chocobos dont dance. :grumble:

:smash::smash:

eestlinc
04-08-2004, 05:37 PM
you should try to find reasons to ban someone.

m4tt
04-08-2004, 05:42 PM
I wonder where ASC and tGA would fall. Dunno if they've really had anyone that bad. Or, in ASC's case, if there are rules to break.

well brian still sticks around ASC, so what does that tell you? :p

If I banned all the idiots at my own message board, I'd have to ban myself as well. :(

Yamaneko
04-08-2004, 06:19 PM
Ban 'em all. That's my policy.

Peegee
04-08-2004, 06:49 PM
I just chastise them until they learn their way. Failing that, I often enjoy changing their passwords and other (admin power) abusive actions. I also change their emails just for fun, so they can't get their account back.

They eventually leave, and I eventually get kicked out of admin position. It works out in the end.

Ichy
04-08-2004, 06:55 PM
I've never had to ban anyone on the Windurst Liberation Army's forums.... yet. We have a very simple set of rules to follow and nobody breaks them, the players in our Linkshell are all very smart and very capable of conducting themselves respectfully in the interest of everyone having a better gaming experience.

Our policy both in and out of game is my "WTF Method"

1. Warn
2. Tell
3. Get the F*** out

bennator
04-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Having experienced all three, my vote is clearly for just banning them all, it works the best, as, I think EoFF has the best atmosphere of the boards I read/post at.

Stayin Dizzy
04-08-2004, 09:02 PM
I think EoFF has the best atmosphere of the boards I read/post at.

This is exactly why this is the only forum I post at and read daily

Sephex
04-08-2004, 10:04 PM
I guess ban them. It really depends on a lot of factors I don't want to get into right now.

Thunday Man
04-08-2004, 10:11 PM
The ban stick commeth!

The Captain
04-09-2004, 01:30 AM
Perhaps instead of bans, you give out temporary bans, like in some sports.. a minor problem would be a warning, then a first actual offense is a one day ban, then a 2nd offense is a week's ban, and then perhaps a third offense is a year's ban? Anyone who would come back and then do something stupid after being banned a year could then be classified under a level 4, which would be a ban for life.

Still, the question would be, what warrants a ban, even for a day?

Take care all.

Logan
04-09-2004, 01:32 AM
Kill Ban them.

escobert
04-09-2004, 02:47 AM
I love making new friends :)

Heath
04-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Kill Ban them.
I think you were right the first time.

Hm... I'd probably ban them, personally, but I doubt any board of mine would have that many members so I'd give 'em a full lobotomy and make them nice happy members <3

Who wants to do my lobotomy?

Citizen Bleys
04-09-2004, 03:27 PM
Of course, the question isn't quite so simple. What works for one board wouldn't work for another. If you tried to run EoFF the way I run Vesper, everybody would leave, and if you tried to run Vesper the way EoFF is run, likewise. Getting rid of the idiots does no good if in the process, you alienate everybody else.

Yeah, banning people left and right is the right approach for EoFF. I don't like it, but it's got to be done. Just don't try it at a smaller board or a hangout board.