PDA

View Full Version : "Recognised"?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-08-2004, 09:18 PM
I am insulted by this nonsense. Change it back.

Loony BoB
04-08-2004, 09:20 PM
There's a good dildo. :) Go clout!

crono_logical
04-08-2004, 09:26 PM
I didn't "break" it, and I see nothing to fix :D

EDIT: I was wrong, it said "Recoginsed" previously before I changed it :p

Del Murder
04-09-2004, 12:00 AM
What country is the owner of this website from again?

Big D
04-09-2004, 12:02 AM
I'm not entirely certain, but I *think* it's that country where no-one knows how to spell anything correctly...:p

Nah, I don't mind. I'm not actually seeing 'recognised' anywhere; RMs are 'recognized' as far as I can see.

Dr Unne
04-09-2004, 12:04 AM
No, you're mistaken, he's from the US.

Del Murder
04-09-2004, 12:04 AM
If the US is wrong baby I don't want to be right.

Big D
04-09-2004, 12:06 AM
I ain't honored by aluminum, y'all.

crono_logical
04-09-2004, 12:16 AM
Maybe I'll add another option in the user CP for people to choose if they see recognised or recognized, internationalisation is good after all :p

Spuuky
04-09-2004, 12:17 AM
Please stop degrading my language by pretending "ain't" and "y'all" are correct English even sarcastically.

Also, please stop degrading my language by removing the Z from all words in which it belongs. It is one of the best letters in the alphabet, and doesn't get nearly enough respect from you.

Big D
04-09-2004, 12:19 AM
Maybe I'll add another option in the user CP for people to choose if they see recognised or recognized, internationalisation is good after all :pGood idea. That way, those of us who prefer correct spelling can be comforted by "recognised" members, while our transatlantic cohorts can revel in the glory of the "recognized".;)

Spuuky
04-09-2004, 12:21 AM
It amuses me how often you use "correct" to mean "incorrect." I will never understand that dialectic difference.

crono_logical
04-09-2004, 12:23 AM
Maybe I ain't gonna bother, I think Unne's doin stuff in the admin CP right now (BAD ABOVE THE POST POSTBITS), so it's best I not get in his way, plus I think I'm prolly turning into Aaron by doing too many custom user options like this :p

Erdrick Holmes
04-09-2004, 12:25 AM
I don't get it! :megaman:

Big D
04-09-2004, 12:30 AM
It's a traditional source of friendly rivallry and amusement. Amercian English has quite a lot of different spellings to the English used in the rest of the world; this is mainly due to a linguistic "purge" a couple of centuries ago where all kinds of surplus letters were removed from American spelling. Hence, "honour" and "harbour" became "honor" and "harbor", "Pittsborough" and "Marlborough" became "Pittsburgh" and "Marlboro", and so forth. There are other differences, too - "amuminium" (pronounced "ell-yoo-minny-um") is known in the US as "aluminum" (ell-oo-min-um).

There are people on both sides who enjoy a bit of lighthearted mockery now and then. Well, I assume we're all being lighthearted, but you can never tell with some people...

Dr Unne
04-09-2004, 12:36 AM
If there's even an OPTION to replace a single z with a single s, I swear I'll ban you all and delete the MB and go find the server and smash it with a hammer.

Yamaneko
04-09-2004, 12:39 AM
Cool, Unne's coming to California.

crono_logical
04-09-2004, 01:05 AM
Isn't that the nutter state? :p

Spuuky
04-09-2004, 02:03 AM
Yes. Light-hearted.

Kirobaito
04-09-2004, 04:35 AM
What the hell? Y'all foreigners don't know jack. The word is 'recognized.' I say we take a poll, and see what people would rather have.

Big D
04-09-2004, 06:59 AM
It'd probably be fairly easy to implement two language options:

US English: Complete with 'color', 'recognized' and 'exclamation point'

Commenwealth/other non-US nation English: Where words are spelled in the way that is traditional in those English-speaking-but-not-American countries.

eestlinc
04-09-2004, 07:01 AM
I was going to complain about this but I figured others would fight my battles for me.

Loony BoB
04-09-2004, 07:55 AM
These threads never fail to amuse me. Oh, wait. Amuze me? I'll sit over there on the fence - wait, fense - with eestlinc and watch.

Big D
04-09-2004, 08:10 AM
xD

Close inspection of the almighty Oxford English Dictionary has turned up an interesting tidbit - it lists "recognize" as one common spelling, with "recognise" as an alternative. There's no national or regional distinction, they're just interchangeable alternatives. It's a matter of personal preferrence.

However, 'colour', 'aluminium', 'honour', 'armour', 'manoeuvre' and the like are definitely preferrable, at least for me.

eestlinc
04-09-2004, 08:19 AM
do you say agonise? agonize is much better.

Strider
04-09-2004, 09:14 AM
Hold on, hold on. . . manoeuverioureorere? Aluminiumiumuim? Recognize with an "S"?

This all makes my head hurt. Let's just leave things as they are, because aren't there bigger things in this world to worry about?

Come on now, people, it's just one letter.

Loony BoB
04-09-2004, 10:05 AM
Hold on, hold on. . . manoeuverioureorere? Aluminiumiumuim? Recognize with an "S"?

This all makes my head hurt. Let's just leave things as they are, because aren't there bigger things in this world to worry about?

Come on now, people, it's just one letter.
Oh dear God please don't tell me you actually say aluminum instead of aluminium.

Spuuky
04-09-2004, 10:58 AM
You mean just like every self-respecting student of science? I can find you plenty of official periodic tables on which aluminum is spelled correctly.

Loony BoB
04-09-2004, 11:08 AM
So now American is not just a new way of spelling, but it's a new language, too. I didn't realise you guys actually changed the way words are said (accents aside).

Heath
04-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Nor did I. I knew about "sulfur" and "sulphur" (the latter being Commonwealth English) but I didn't think there was a difference at all for aluminium

crono_logical
04-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Whenever I used to write aluminium, it'd turn into an a followed by a very long zigzag because of all the alternating up/down strokes for the rest of the word :p

eestlinc
04-09-2004, 05:59 PM
sulphur is spelled with two u's regardless, but aluminium is just plain wrong. I can never move to England.

Mikztsu
04-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Damn third world countries!

crono_logical
04-09-2004, 06:46 PM
I believe in international papers though, the compromise is aluminium and sulfur, though I'll have to check on that one :p Aluminium sounds nicer as 5 syllables anyway, 4 sounds awkward :p

Loony BoB
04-09-2004, 07:11 PM
I don't know why they changed it, actually. It's not like they say sodum or podum etc.

Citizen Bleys
04-10-2004, 06:12 PM
I spell colour and harbour and honour correctly most of the time. I pronounce "Lieutenant" LEF-tenant, not LOO-tenant. I even use the Metric system. In this case, however, I have to agree with the Yanks. "Recognised" looks really frelling dumb.

Peegee
04-11-2004, 01:05 AM
So is "Citizen Bleys" just a Canadian way to spell Citizen BleyZ?

Kirobaito
04-11-2004, 02:47 AM
I don't know why they changed it, actually. It's not like they say sodum or podum etc.

I have never used the word sodium or podium, so I wouldn't know. I say 'salt' and 'stand'.

Doomgaze
04-11-2004, 05:21 AM
...LEF-tenant? Are you on crack?

Lieu. It's a french word. Lieu Tenant. Place Holder. There's no goddamn F there.

Spuuky
04-11-2004, 05:38 AM
Pronounced with an F, it is specifically a particular rank in the British or Canadian navy. Used in ANY other context, it is not "British" to pronounce it with an F, it is strictly wrong.

Heath
04-11-2004, 08:37 AM
sulphur is spelled with two u's regardless, but aluminium is just plain wrong. I can never move to England.
I'm an idiot sometimes *edits*

Big D
04-14-2004, 05:11 AM
Lef-tenant is a British rank, lieu-tenant is an American rank. Each is correct when used in their own context, but not otherwise. It'd be wrong to call a US General a "Field Marshall", so it'd be wrong to call a British Lieutenant a "loo-tenant".

As for "recognise" and "recognize", both are correct, they're interchangeable - there isn't even a "national difference" between the two; one isn't exclusively American or British.

"Aluminium" is far more consistent than "aluminum", since few or no other elements have "-um" endings, although many end with "-ium".

"Sulfur" is more practical and straightforward than "sulphur", but only because chemistry is becoming an 'international language' and 'ph=f' would be rather confusing for those who aren't native speakers of English.