PDA

View Full Version : Sex Education

Stayin Dizzy
04-09-2004, 06:07 AM
Did you take this class in high school? Did you really find it that educating? I really can't imagine sitting down with the schoolboard and trying to find a way to teach kids about sex without being too controversial. My sex ed class was about 4 or 5 yrs ago back in high school and we focused mostly on diseases, and learing the anatomy of genetalia--sp. But then I've heard of kids learning the propper "wrapping of the tool" technique as I will call it, by putting a condom on a banana and such. So is sex ed up to par??

Shlup
04-09-2004, 06:22 AM
I had sex ed in 6th and 7th grade. It was like one hour total though. Just stuff about your bodies... I suppose it was a good thing, though I don't really remember.

I also took sex ed in college. Now that was an interesting three-month course.

Dr Unne
04-09-2004, 06:37 AM
My sex ed class in middle school (7th grade?) was generally just about STDs. And it was disgusting. The phrase "cheesey discharge" comes to mind. We went into great detail on what STDs were out there, how you can catch them, and more specifically what the symptoms were. After talking for a half hour about having little critters living on/in your groin, I don't know how kids can decide to have unprotected sex anyways.

Del Murder
04-09-2004, 06:41 AM
We had it in sixth/seventh. We learned all about the parts and mechanics of it, but no hands on training I'm sorry to say.

Peegee
04-09-2004, 08:24 AM
Eighth grade in health, and nine/ten in gym/phys ed section on sex ed. I didn't learn anything important. In fact pretty much everything "useful" I learned about sex was either self taught through hands-on practice or self-learned through um...watching things.

Rainecloud
04-09-2004, 09:17 AM
My class had the misfortune of being taught by an old man who seemed to enjoy talking about the more sensitive parts of 'Sex Education'. He didn't really educate us in the way that the government had outlined, he educated us by quoting experiences of people he knew doing very strange things to themselves. He didn't shy away from discussing some of the more disgusting and perverse methods of sexual activity, either. As you can imagine, the whole experience was a rather uncomfortable one.

TheAbominatrix
04-09-2004, 10:14 AM
I had the standard 5/6 grade stuff (the first being about periods and stuff, the second more about sex) and then a semester of sex ed in high school. The class in high school was alright, but I really didnt need much of it. My mom had already had the talk with me and all.

Meat Puppet
04-09-2004, 10:25 AM
The sex ed teacher made a funny joke about the large size of the banana and how girls would be dreaming.... hahaha

Bernhard
04-09-2004, 11:00 AM
By the time we had sex ed for the first time, no-one really learned anything they didn't know before. Kids are more perverted than you might think.

Mikztsu
04-09-2004, 04:44 PM
We had sex-education from the 7th grade 'till the first grade of high school.

But I'm more "self-educated". :)

Kami
04-09-2004, 04:56 PM
I always liked to learn about sex-ed. Others of my classmates hated it. *ponders*

Flying Mullet
04-09-2004, 05:00 PM
My sex ed class in middle school (7th grade?) was generally just about STDs. And it was disgusting. The phrase "cheesey discharge" comes to mind. We went into great detail on what STDs were out there, how you can catch them, and more specifically what the symptoms were. After talking for a half hour about having little critters living on/in your groin, I don't know how kids can decide to have unprotected sex anyways.
Same here. We also had a "refresher" in the required health class in high school when we had our sexual health unit. Our teacher loved to try and gross students out, so we lots of pictures with sores, etc... He also loved the tobacco unit so that he could show us pictures of people with no jaws, holes in their cheeks, etc... from using too much tobacco, specifically chewing tobacco.

Mikztsu
04-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Wow, your teacher must've really sucked, Winged Sorceress. :) Not that I want to encorage kids to have sex asap, but still.

Logan
04-09-2004, 06:27 PM
She was the worst teacher. :)

Flying Mullet
04-09-2004, 06:29 PM
Was she married? Sounds like a bitter old maid to me.

Yamaneko
04-09-2004, 07:23 PM
I had it in fifth and ninth grade. I didn't learn anything new.

Logan
04-09-2004, 07:39 PM
Was she married? Sounds like a bitter old maid to me.

Oh, no way. You're right, she was an old maid. :D

Mikztsu
04-09-2004, 07:54 PM
Doesn't really surprise me. :)

Ashi
04-09-2004, 08:10 PM
No sex ed over here, but we do have this class that's mostly about social stuff. We learn about sex from friends.

Endless
04-09-2004, 08:18 PM
We had a sex ed class when I was around 14, just some basic stuff about how each gender's genitalia is built, the usual warnings about stds, about how we could talk to the sex ed teacher if we were uncomfortable (in other words, masturbating) etc... Nothing fancy. We boys were looking forward to the two hours of sex ed in our education, and we were all disappointed. Then in biology we did all the reproductive cycle, and hormonal cycles (man, woman), and it just ruined the fun in the "mystery of life". xD

escobert
04-09-2004, 09:14 PM
7th grade we did that sex ed crpa but I wasnt there that week.

Chaos
04-09-2004, 11:10 PM
When we were 13 we got given a condom and were told to put it on our friends fingers.
When we were 15 we had a talk on STD's. That was it.

Chaos

Sephex
04-10-2004, 06:27 PM
They made me go through it, and I was really bored the entire time.

Rye
04-10-2004, 06:37 PM
In 6th grade we had to watch "The Video", I remember. It was really stupid though cause most people already knew about it and it was totally un-realistic. What girl carries an enormous bag of kotex under her arm to school, as show in the movie?

Peegee
04-10-2004, 06:49 PM
What's this 'the video' you speak of? Is it like Fuzzy Bunny's guide to you-know-what (http://www.snpp.com/episodes/8F22.html)?

edczxcvbnm
04-11-2004, 04:03 PM
I had sex ed in 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th grade. It was basically health class but as time went on they slowly introduced everything slowly. By 7th grade they were like 'THIS IS HOW YOU HAVE SEX!!1!1!' By 8th grade they were like 'THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE SEX!!!1!1!!!' and 9th grade was all like 'WHY AM I HERE!?!?!?'

Female Ryuichi
04-11-2004, 04:08 PM
I just finshed having sex ed for the third time. This time it was taken by someone from one of the clinics, and it was mostly about STDs.

omnitarian
04-11-2004, 06:00 PM
I remember my middle school sex ed class. The only we got taught was puberty and nucleotides and other controversy free junk.

No tips or hints or anything! What a gip.

Mr. Graves
04-11-2004, 06:33 PM
...I still dunno how a vagina works, except that babys come out of it. I ddn't learn too much, besides the whole "be safe about it" message, but I was filled in on most of the disgusting stuff like STDs and a video showing a baby coming out of the mother.

Ew. *cringe*

Peegee
04-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I'm never going to be able to watch the baby come out of there wtf no ew.. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Levian
04-11-2004, 07:13 PM
We had sex education a couple of times throughout 6th and 7th grade, so nothing major there. In 10th grade however, we went a bit deeper into it and learned stuff about diseases and so on. We also had to put a condom onto a plastic thing that was formed as y'know and the girl had to hold the plastic thing while the boy took it on and vice versa. They said it was more realistic that way. :p It was kinda fun.

Lindy
04-14-2004, 08:58 PM
My sex education?

Friday 9th, 11pm, with Xander.

Polaris
04-15-2004, 08:49 AM
I've never had sex education. Here, students want to have that class, but if we had that class, I wouldn't go, because I'm to shy to listen people talking about sex. :mad:

I think that sex it's only to make not to talk. ;)

Less words and more action!
:D

eternalshiva
04-15-2004, 10:17 AM
wow...

My sex ed teacher rocked then, without going into graphic details *cause that's border line illegal under 18 hence why Sex Ed is usually just a biology class with condoms* she passed out information on proper masturbation techniques *much to everyone's embarassement* and how to please yourself and your lover while in intercourse. Made it sound very clinical BUT at least the sex was way better after that class xD

She also taught the usual biology class-like information sessions with STDs and all the rest of the scary stuff but there was lots of fun! It was hilarious to see her come out of the pharmacy with 20 boxes of condoms. She'd walk across the parking lot, her arms full and my friend and I used to ask her if she had "big" plans for the night, she looked like she was going to be busy ^^ and she'd just laugh. Ahh, I loved sex ed class xD

Iceglow
04-15-2004, 11:49 AM
I had sex education in year 6 (UK top year junior) and was meant to recieve a more in depth one in year 9 but the teachers said and I quote "this class's understanding of sex is way above anything we have to teach you therefore we aren't bothering now on to writing your CV" it was rather hillarious at 13 we supposedly knew too much explains why 4 of the 6 girls in my class were pregnant a year after leaving the school.

Polaris
04-15-2004, 12:19 PM
:(
I know what you mean, two friends of mine got pregnant too. But I think that they didn't need sex education, because I talked with them and they had a lot of informnation. I think that it just happened!

Now I saw at them and I think to myself that it's really sad...

That's why I don't to have childrens! Neither marry, I think that I'm good just like I am now!

Evelia
04-15-2004, 07:51 PM
I had sex ed in 8th grade. We had to take home these plastic baby dolls called "Crybabies" and stick a key in their back when they cried. You were only supposed to have to hold it for ten minutes max, but mine was freakin' broken. I held it for 2 hours straight, and it STILL wouldn't stop. It was awful. It woke me up about ten times that night, and I couldn't even smash it with a hammer because it had a built-in computer that recorded whether I abused it or stopped the crying in time or whatever. I guess it was supposed to teach me not to have a baby because it's this much work, but I don't think it was an effective way of getting that point across at ALL.

Then in 9th grade, I had a class called "High School Foundations" that taught us about STDs. About once a year, someone from Planned Parenthood comes in and teaches us how to put on a condom.

Dr Unne
04-15-2004, 09:56 PM
<i>My sex ed teacher rocked then, without going into graphic details *cause that's border line illegal under 18 hence why Sex Ed is usually just a biology class with condoms* she passed out information on proper masturbation techniques *much to everyone's embarassement* and how to please yourself and your lover while in intercourse. Made it sound very clinical BUT at least the sex was way better after that class xD</i> --eternalshiva

That's completely inappropriate to teach in school. If I was a parent with a child in that class I'd be complaining.

Ariel
04-15-2004, 11:54 PM
That's completely inappropriate to teach in school. If I was a parent with a child in that class I'd be complaining.

Hrmm. Wouldn't that be a more responsible thing to teach teenagers? If they're aware of the consequences and risks, aware of proper contraception methods (and the chances of those methods failing), wouldn't kids be less likely to run away and jump into bed with someone? Not to mention knowing how to please themselves without risking pregnancy and STDs. Keeping it all in the dark seems a lot more irresponsible than being open about it, in my opinion, anyways.

My sex education at school was very, very limited. In year eight biology there was one unit which pretty much said: 'This goes there, that goes there, and nine months later, a baby is born.' My parents had always been honest about where babies come from, so it wasn't exactly a shock. xP

Dr Unne
04-16-2004, 01:42 AM
It's inappropriate because I for one would not want a high school teacher to teach me sex techniques. That's something that I would prefer to be private. in my life. Teaching how to use a condom, sure, teach that. Teaching how to "please your lover"? That is not something a high school teacher should have any business discussing with a class full of children, one way or the other.

muchacho
04-16-2004, 03:44 AM
i hated my sex ed class, it told me everything i already knew and it was durring gym.

dont read if you havent seen girl next door if sex ed was like the movie, i would have paid WAY more attention

Polaris
04-16-2004, 08:58 AM
That's completely inappropriate to teach in school.

Yes, I know what you mean, I wouldn't let a my kid to have those classes, I think that inb whatever he needed to know I would explain.

I think taht's not a theme to classes, altough, I think taht he would learn much more with his friends than with me, but I would accept it well!

Everything for my kid!

That's how I think!

Skogs
04-16-2004, 10:06 AM
In 6th grade we had to watch "The Video", I remember. It was really stupid though cause most people already knew about it and it was totally un-realistic. What girl carries an enormous bag of kotex under her arm to school, as show in the movie?

I remember that one! Dang, that must have been fifth grade...

Of course in 11th grade or so biology there's the 'other' video. Which is just gross, where they use a camera wire and ugh... no... :eep:

Dreadlock
04-16-2004, 05:43 PM
I had it in 1rst grade I was the best. :thumb:

gokufusionss1
04-16-2004, 06:24 PM
i had sex education when i was 12/13 and it consisted of one of the more attractive girls of my class putting a condom on a plastic tube and a video of a woman washing her self in the shower with some voiceovers, at the time i thought it was GREAT.

DMKA
04-22-2004, 03:47 AM
I recall having it in 5th grade...it was just "oh...these are your testicles, thats your penis, and this is what they do"...

I didn't attend the 6th grade one...

Then there was one in 9th grade where we learned all about STDs (it was a section of our integrated science class, not a one day thing), and we did watch a video that showed a baby coming out...yuck...

Then I came here and in our junior year they threw grades 7 through 12 all in the same room and we watched like 3 videos. The videos were so old, it was basically saying the only 2 ways to get aids were if you a guy screwing other guys, or using IV drugs...hick school AHH.