PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with my computer?

Dixie
04-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Today, I was listening to music and I got the blue screen of death and then it rebooted. I have a Dell computer. Can any one tell me what is going on, what this is, how this happend or happens, how to prevent this, and if this will kill the computer. Any other information would be great! Thanks!

Dr Unne
04-09-2004, 05:16 PM
I don't know what the problem is other than that Windows is a piece of trash. BSoDs are to be expected. Figure out what program usually causes them, and don't use that program. If more than one program causes them, then maybe it's time to reinstall Windows. Or update your device drivers. Or maybe you have faulty hardware. Or any of a huge number of things. You're not meant to be able to figure out WHY something happens in Windows. It does what it wants and you live with it.

crono_logical
04-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Hmm.

Nope, don't think I can add to that, considering how very little you've told me about your computer and what exactly you were doing at the time, plus how often the problem occurs and when :p Finding out which program does that is a sensible idea though :p

Dixie
04-09-2004, 06:14 PM
I had gotten the BSoD by clicking on a song. It was weird. I didn't have any time to read the stuff on the screen because 2 seconds later it rebooted. I was listening to my CD called "Suzuki, Viola School" and I wanted to listen to the song I'm on which is called "Waltz." This stuff happens sometimes. This might not be helpful, but sometimes for no reason, it just reboots.

crono_logical
04-09-2004, 06:42 PM
CD, or MP3? Windows has a beautiful fatal buffer overflow error in it that does nasty stuff reading some MP3 tags :D

Dixie
04-09-2004, 06:50 PM
It does it to both.

crono_logical
04-09-2004, 07:01 PM
If it was MP3s only, then fine, but I have no idea for CDs as well :p

If more than one program causes them, then maybe it's time to reinstall Windows.:D If it still does it, then maybe it wasn't Windows' fault after all :p

m4tt
04-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Maybe you just ran out of memory? Too many things going on at once?

crono_logical
04-09-2004, 08:58 PM
Doesn't blue screen a machine :p You'd get pop-up warnings anyway as it happens :p

Very useful you haven't mentioned which Windows this is either actually, could be 3.11 for all I know :p

Dixie
04-15-2004, 10:18 PM
IT DID IT TO ME AGAIN!!! This time, I was listening to "Beethoven At Bedtime" and I clicked on the song "Moonlight" Sonata!
To answer your question, it's Windows 98. Is that helpful?

Does anyone know what "FAT32" means?

Dr Unne
04-15-2004, 10:20 PM
FAT32 is a type of filesystem. What it appear in some kind of error message? What else did the error message say?

Dixie
04-15-2004, 10:34 PM
I managed to read something when it gave me the blue screen of death. Ithink it said a bunch of numbers like this:7429865-142675. The rest of it I didn't catch. those numbers probably aren't helpful, but I'll try to look again when it does it to me.

After that, the computer said "Checking disk......" something before that said "volume serial number 7362314-983452" or something like that.

crono_logical
04-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Are you sure that's what it does when it crashes and before it starts up again? What you just described sounds like what I'd expect to see Windows do when it's starting up again after recovering from a crash :p

Dr Unne
04-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Startup and Recovery, Settings button -> uncheck Automatically restart. That should keep it from auto-rebooting when the error message comes up. On a side note, there shouldn't even BE an option for "Automatically restart". I don't know what demented lunatic at Microsoft came up with that idea, but they need to be kicked.

Even if you can read the error message, you're not likely to understand it, nor am I, if it's the kind of error message I think it is. My computer used to get that kind of blue-screen-white-text error screen (not a true BSoD, but similar), and it'd just show a dump of the register contents and a bunch of absolutely cryptic nonsensical error messages. Absolutely no help whatsoever. I've read that certain firewall programs can cause that kind of auto-destruct error, or bad device drivers, or any number of things. This is probably a "reinstall Windows" kind of problem.

crono_logical
04-15-2004, 11:31 PM
Right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Startup and Recovery, Settings button -> uncheck Automatically restartDoesn't exist in Win98 :p

Dixie
04-17-2004, 12:59 AM
Accualy, it's Windows 2000. :p Sorry about that. :(

Peegee
04-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Are you still getting the problem? I suspect that you need to upgrade your audio drivers. Have you had this computer (meaning, have you had windows 2000 installed with this sound card) running for a while? Have you done any upgrades/updates lately?

My (somewhat inconvenient) suggestion is to disable your sound card (from device manager...right click my computer, properties, system, device manager) and see if the computer crashes again.

Win2K has the blue screen of death?

Baloki
04-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Doesn't blue screen a machine :p You'd get pop-up warnings anyway as it happens :p

Very useful you haven't mentioned which Windows this is either actually, could be 3.11 for all I know :p

Actually in 95 - 2000 you do get blue screened if you run out of memory because the RAM checking systems are crap.

And if you are using WIndows Media Player 8 this is a well known problem, usually occurs if theres a disc read error.

Dixie
04-23-2004, 02:16 AM
I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I solved my own problem! The bad news is My computer gave the BSoD when I wasn't even on the computer! It said "beginning loss of memory...." It was weird. I wish I didn't have to ask you so much but can PLEASE tell me how this happened, even with the very little info I've given you? When I was on the computer, it was fine but about 15 minutes later when I wanted to check my E-Mail it gave me the BSoD. All I did was sit down and there it is. I wanted to shoot my computer. :shoot:

Peegee
04-23-2004, 09:20 AM
back up everything, format the computer, reinstall windows, use windows update to update your drivers, install all your random peripherals manually, with updated drivers.

Rye
04-25-2004, 08:16 PM
I got the blue screen of death randomly a lot months ago before it got brought into the shop at least 3 times. Turns out that the hardrive was old, I think,