PDA

View Full Version : Steiner... almighty god or pathetic POS???

ShadyMilkman
04-09-2004, 05:14 PM
It seems as I read through here, alot of people hold Steiner in high esteem, calling him their best character. He's my worst. I've found that his only good attacks are Climhazzard and Shock, but they cost WAY too much MP, of which Steiner has VERY little. Sword Magic is great for a little while, but really loses its usefulness later in the game. I'm jsut curious what everybody has to say about this...

The Man
04-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Steiner amuses the hell out of me. To be honest, I haven't really noticed much of a difference in battle prowess between the non-mages, either, so whatever.

Del Murder
04-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Steiner has the unfortunate paradox of having one of the most despised personalities of any FF main character, yet he is one of the most powerful characters ever. A trance that doubles his attack power makes it even harder for me to dislike him. I'll only use him for the biggest fights and parts of the game where there isn't much dialogue.

SomethingBig
04-09-2004, 11:02 PM
How could anyone hate Steiner, for chrissakes? He added humor to the game. Without good ol' Rusty, who would Zidane make fun of?

I found Steiner to be quite useful. Where I'm currently at in the game(Esto Gaza), Steiner's doing twice as much damage as Zidane. He's dealing about 2400 damage and, when tranced, he does a good 4400. He even did 9999 once, while Zidane can only deal 5000 damage with his strongest Dyne, which is Solution 9, at the moment.

Kirobaito
04-10-2004, 05:10 AM
Steiner is da pimp! He deal's 9999 with every Shock, as Beatrix did. When you have enough money to buy 99 Ethers, you don't have to worry about the MP thing. It's worth it in the long run. That's why I used him, Zidane, Vivi, and Garnet.

Heath
04-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Are you implying Flare Sword is a bad thing?

Shock, Climhazzard and Stock Break are all wonderful moves, and when I want to cause a lot of damage quickly, I'll always use Steiner. Of course my favourite squad would be Freya, Steiner, Vivi and Garnet, though if I'm going for the "I'll cause as much damage in the shortest amount of time" fights then it'll be Zidane, Steiner, Freya and Quina (Thievery, Shock, Dragon Crest, Frog Drop).

I found Steiner amusing, sure he wasn't the best character, but at least he wasn't neglected for half the game (*cough Freya cough*).

BG-57
04-10-2004, 10:56 PM
I like fallible characters. Steiner was an interesting combination of physical strength and emotional weakness. He's clearly overprotective of Garnet and not taken too seriously around Alexandra. But his loyalty is touching if inflexible.

Aphelion
04-10-2004, 11:22 PM
He is very strong, but his overprotective ideas suck.

ShadyMilkman
04-11-2004, 11:31 PM
I never said I "hated" him or that I didn't like his personality... this thread was in no way intended to have anything at all to do with personality... I'm jsut saying that I'm surprised alot of people think Steiner is a very strong battle character, when in reality, he isn't. I like to call him a "convenient" character. He is strong at first because he requires no though whatsoever.... just attack alot. and uhhh, attack and maybe attack. and He's fine... but that just doesn't cut it later in the game... and that's really all he's capable of. Shock, Stock Break, and Climhazzard are nice, yes. But costly as heck. and using ethers takes turns. In those turns he's using ether... someone else could still be dealing jsut as much damage. He does have one big upside though.... he's a walking tank. much like Barret was and all the way back to the Fighter/Knight or the first game. Every game needs one. I guess. But when faced with the choice of Steiner and ANY other character... I'm going with someone else. Maybe I'm just weird.

BG-57
04-12-2004, 01:03 AM
From a playability perspective alone, I suspect it depends on your style of gameplay. I favor what I think of the 'whack-a-mole' approach, where I whack monsters with physical attacks until they are dead (except for boss monsters). I'm impatient with submenus and spells when in random fights. So Steiner works great for me.

Sephex
04-12-2004, 05:37 AM
I don't really like his cliche' personality, but I love him in battle.

HanaKirei
04-15-2004, 01:35 AM
Steiner is a god, pure and simple. Good abilities, awesome attack, magic sword, all good. ^_^ That's not why I used him though. I tend to use the characters I'm the most fond of in battles. At first, I didn't use him at all when I didn't have to because I deplored his personality. But then he just sorta grew on me, and became my strongest character. O.o; Kinda like a big annoying rusty stray cat...*hugs a Steiner plushie*

ShadyMilkman
04-15-2004, 02:08 AM
Steiner is a god, pure and simple. Good abilities, awesome attack, magic sword, all good.
Attack, Zidane's is higher and Freya and Amarant's are roughly equal. Abilities... I suppose you're another Shock addict? Or are you refering to Support Abilities? Support I can't argue with cause I haven't explored that as deeply. But, I think it's basically proven that Shock's only worth is for those who are lazy and don't want to spend a little time making yourself stronger. Magic Sword I guess is good for those who like it. I found it awesome early on... but kinda lost usefullness for me later on mainly cause of outrageous MP costs.

Indeed, Steiner is a good character. But not a "god" in a way, shape, fashion, or form.

HanaKirei
04-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Attack, Zidane's is higher and Freya and Amarant's are roughly equal. Abilities... I suppose you're another Shock addict? Or are you refering to Support Abilities? Support I can't argue with cause I haven't explored that as deeply. But, I think it's basically proven that Shock's only worth is for those who are lazy and don't want to spend a little time making yourself stronger. Magic Sword I guess is good for those who like it. I found it awesome early on... but kinda lost usefullness for me later on mainly cause of outrageous MP costs.

Indeed, Steiner is a good character. But not a "god" in a way, shape, fashion, or form.

Actually, I didn't use Shock too much. I just thought things like 'Power Break' and such came in handy in some situations. Mainly I relied on Magic Sword or just plain attack power. Let the record show, I'm not the best at leveling up my characters the way they should be (which is why I had to restart my game - I was so involved in the plot that I just didn't bother to level up, and then I was easily overwhelmed and got stuck). So in my personal party, Steiner was a god. Zidane was technically my highest level, had the best weapon I could get for him, but Steiner was still stronger. He's not technically a god, but he saved my butt in many a battle.

ShadyMilkman
04-16-2004, 02:25 AM
Ahhh, mezmorized by the plotline. FFVIII and FFIX tend to do that. I wonder if the writers do it on purpose?

black orb
04-16-2004, 02:49 AM
>>> Thanks to Steiner`s Shock I defeated Ozma..

Godzilla3001
04-18-2004, 10:13 AM
How could anyone hate Steiner, for chrissakes? He added humor to the game. Without good ol' Rusty, who would Zidane make fun of?

I found Steiner to be quite useful. Where I'm currently at in the game(Esto Gaza), Steiner's doing twice as much damage as Zidane. He's dealing about 2400 damage and, when tranced, he does a good 4400. He even did 9999 once, while Zidane can only deal 5000 damage with his strongest Dyne, which is Solution 9, at the moment.

Ah, good days. ;)

ps. black orb (or anyone else) What weapon gives you shock? I have them all learnt up to the Defender (I HATE THUNDER SLASH, IT ALWAYS MISSES!)

Ariel
04-18-2004, 11:52 AM
He wasn't one of my favourites, but I didn't hate him, either. Steiner made me giggle quite a few times, especially during his scenes with Beatrix. Garnet annoyed the heck of out of me a lot more than he did.

He was pretty strong in battle, too. I tended to use his sword magic more than anything. I'll have to remember to use Shock more often. I never bothered before. <_<;; *runs*

Breine
04-18-2004, 08:01 PM
He's so damn funny. Period.

BG-57
04-19-2004, 01:12 AM
Godzilla3001, you learn Shock from Ragnarok. You get it as part of the Chocograph subquest.

Godzilla3001
04-19-2004, 09:11 AM
Thanks, like I said, I'm at Crystal World and my highest level person is 58. I might go back to Daguerro and kill some Grand DFragons, that'll be a good way for Vivi to finish his Auto-Reflect and then Quina will learn it. But I have to go back, I know that much.

And I just thought, I should've just looked on the weapons page of ff9...Doh!

little devil
05-25-2004, 01:45 PM
hes stupid but funny when he picks fights with Zidane

Cz
05-25-2004, 04:55 PM
I suppose you're another Shock addict?

What's wrong with shock? If you're willing to do the work to find the Ragnarok, then surely you deserve some sort of reward. It's a legitimate move, and the huge MP cost stops low-level players from abusing it.

Steiner is a fantastic battle character. He has an incredibly high attack stat, and his stronger weapons are relatively easy to find. He can deal elemental damage when paired with Vivi, attack multiple enemies with Stock Break/Climhazzard, at MP values comparable to those of summons or high-level Black Magic. Sure, his MP needs to be topped-up more often than that of the mages, but when he's low on magic, he's still got a standard attack that's capable of dealing hefty amounts of damage. As a result, he's rarely ever left out of my party, and certainly always around when Necron decides to show up.

Sefie1999AD
05-25-2004, 05:26 PM
I think Steiner's a pretty good character. His personality is annoying first, but at least he develops and changes during the game. And as it was said, he's a tank. I actually think Shock isn't that great an attack. It's cast on only one target and it takes loads of MP. I always use Climhazzard instead since it usually does 9999 damage to all targets with less MP used than with Shock. Oh, and Freya's Dragon Crest > Steiner's Shock. :D

Polaris
05-25-2004, 05:35 PM
He's a piece of junk to me, never seen a man so horrible!

Cz
05-25-2004, 05:36 PM
Sure, if you're crazy enough to kill all of those dragons...

Climhazzard is without a doubt the better attack at high levels. The thing that makes Shock so appealing is that it does 9999 damage even at very low levels. Climhazzard takes more levelling before it can deal 9999 to every single enemy.

But Climhazzard looks cooler, so yeah, it is teh goodest. :D

little devil
06-08-2004, 01:35 PM
his magic sword thing is more powerful than vivis magic but takes way 2 much mp but hes funny when fighting with zidane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Gashtacular
01-07-2024, 07:44 PM
steiner is cool af. i like him.