PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs...

Bolt
04-10-2004, 01:54 AM
Which team in the NHL do you think is going to win the Playoffs this year? :D

Kirobaito
04-10-2004, 01:57 AM
Well, my loyalties must lie with my Stars. I think that they CAN, with their talent level. If Turco plays to his virtual limitless potential (and intimidation), they could win it all. But their forwards have got to start playing more physical. Arnott needs to step up.

PeTeRL90
04-10-2004, 02:24 AM
Detroit.

They've been my team since the Coffey/Osgood/Primeau days.

Where's Detroit on the Poll?!

Strider
04-10-2004, 03:06 AM
San Jose. And it's not just the local bias talking, either. Nabokov will carry them to the title.

Leeza
04-10-2004, 05:50 AM
I think you forgot Vancouver. *adds Vancouver and Detroit*

Kirobaito
04-10-2004, 05:55 AM
You've also forgotten: Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, San Jose, and, uh, ah crap, some other blasted Eastern Conference team that no one cares about.

Leeza
04-10-2004, 05:57 AM
I was adding them as you were posting. :)

Kirobaito
04-10-2004, 06:00 AM
Ah. Stupid non-omniscient me. :)

Mikztsu
04-10-2004, 10:20 AM
Been a die hard Sharks fan since '93 - '94 season. They'll surprise everyone and go all the way to the end. We have the best defence and goaltending in NHL, 4 consistent line that can score. That'll be the key.

Crunch time!

Kirobaito
04-10-2004, 10:03 PM
I find it funny that two different people say that the Sharks have the best goaltending in the NHL and that can get them to win. That's absurd. The two best goaltenders in the NHL today are Martin Brodeur and Marty Turco. There's no question.

escobert
04-10-2004, 10:04 PM
Philadelphia.

muchacho
04-10-2004, 10:08 PM
i voted for philly cause there my team, but tampa is lookin tuff

Mikztsu
04-11-2004, 03:45 PM
I find it funny that two different people say that the Sharks have the best goaltending in the NHL and that can get them to win. That's absurd. The two best goaltenders in the NHL today are Martin Brodeur and Marty Turco. There's no question.

Expect biased opinions and whatnot in fan-based things, like hockey. But really, Nabby's very consistent, and we're not talking ONLY about Nabokov here; Sharks also has Toskala to back him up, who could shine if he had chance to be #1 goalie in some team ( Just what happened to Kiprusoff when he was traded from SJ to CAL).

But would I ever trade Nabokov for Brodeur? Not a chance. Would I ever trade him for Marcy Turco? Wouldn't even consider it.

And Nabby has started better than any other goalie. Just let one goal behind in two games and Sharks lead Blues 2 - 0 in wins. Go Sharks! It all comes down to defence, goaltending and discipline ( more emphasis than usually), and Sharks are doing well, they can go all the way through...

Mikztsu
04-16-2004, 04:54 PM
*pump*

Come on, I wanna talk NHL and playoffs people. :cry: Sorry for double-post...

Breine
04-16-2004, 07:26 PM
I don't watch the NHL...

Strider
04-16-2004, 08:08 PM

I would argue against Turco as one of the top two, especially when the Avalanche are scoring at least three goals in each game of the playoffs. His 3.16 GAA and .844 save percentage (by far the lowest of any goalie in the playoffs, as of right now) have left the Stars on the brink of elimination.

I'd say Brodeur and Belfour, but even that's besides the point. I said Nabakov would carry them to the title, but I never said San Jose has the best goaltending in the league. I know that. I called the Sharks because Nabakov has had the hot hand. J-S Giguere, Arturs Irbe, Jose Theodore. . . if we've learned one thing from the past few seasons, it's that goaltending is king in the playoffs. And right now, Nabakov is the man.

Kirobaito
04-16-2004, 09:39 PM
I would argue against Turco as one of the top two, especially when the Avalanche are scoring at least three goals in each game of the playoffs. His 3.16 GAA and .844 save percentage (by far the lowest of any goalie in the playoffs, as of right now) have left the

It ain't Turc that's making the Stars lose. He's doing his job. His defencemen aren't. They're allowing the Avalanche to get easy stuff whenever they want. I want Derian Hatcher back...:(

The Captain
04-17-2004, 06:15 PM
If Forsberg plays up to his God-like potential, then I wouldn't be surprised if Colorado or Detroit takes the Western Conference. San Jose has already advanced, so they have the upper hand right now: they can rest.

In the East, Tampa Bay has looked almost unstoppable and it's all thanks to this year's MVP: Martin St. Louis. Their goaltending has been brilliant as well.

I beleive a winner will come from either Tampa Bay, or a team in the West.

Take care all.

Mikztsu
04-17-2004, 06:48 PM
No matter how grat regular season Tampa played, I kinda doubt they can make it past 2nd round. Experience plays big role in playoffs, and Tampa's top players are so inexperienced. I guess these are the first ever playoffs for the likes of Lecavalier and St. Louis...?

But <i>anything</i> can happen in East; remember how Hurricanes made it to Stanley Cup finals? :p But still, I think it's unlikely that Tampa will make it to conferece finals.

metCloud
04-17-2004, 07:08 PM
I would normally go for the Flyers...but, I would really like to see the Dallas Stars take this one.

Kirkpatrick
04-18-2004, 08:43 AM

...of course, both of their teams have now been eliminated :p. I'd really like to see the Leafs go all the way this year (like I do every year...), but I think that overcoming the Flyers could be tough for anyone in the east if Esche continues to play well.

White Raven
04-18-2004, 04:16 PM
Just because I live in Toronto, doesn't mean I like the Leafs. In reality I hate them thoroughly. I've always been a Tampa Bay fan so I'll be cheering for them the whole time. There's no question that Khabibulin has been the best goalie in the first round. And there is no stopping my favourite player, Martin St. Louis, either =P

Mikztsu
04-20-2004, 07:58 AM
Sharks in 6 against Avs. Oh yeah baby.

Mikztsu
04-23-2004, 07:41 AM
Marleeeeeeeeeuaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!! :D:D Second hat-trick in these playoffs for this Sharks young captain! Mind me, Mik's going cup-crazy.

Sharks are playing really good hockey right now. Avs were nothing compared to them in game one.

That stupid gorilla Boughner should get the same suspension like Bertuzzi.

Mikztsu
05-05-2004, 08:35 AM
I aplogise triple posting, but I don't see it as a huge sin in a thread like this which was dead.

GO SHARKS! First time they made it to conference finals, and I KNOW Flames will be MUCH easier to beat than Avs. They'll go all the way through.

Sharks in 5.

Come on, talk hockey.

Strider
05-05-2004, 09:29 AM
I'm not so sure either of the conference finals will be a walk in the park for any of the four remaining teams. In my opinion, it will come down to goaltending.

Not surprisingly, the survivors have men in net that have been sensational in the playoffs. Robert Esche. Nikolai Khabibulin. Evgeni Nabakov. Miikaa Kiprusoff. Between the four of them, there's a .941 save percentage, 1.75 GAA and 10 shutouts. That's pretty good.

The biggest key for the Philadelphia Flyers is making sure Robert Esche is healthy. He'll need to be against a Tampa Bay team that has blitzed the Islanders and Canadiens in the first two rounds. Martin St. Louis and company have proven to be every bit as good as advertised so far, but whether it will stand up to a strong and fast Flyers team remains to be seen.

The Sharks and the Flames. There's no question that Jarome Iginla is Calgary's star, but everyone has contributed. Their style of play is best described as frantic, which caught the Red Wings off their guard numerous times in the last series. I don't believe it will go over so well in the Tank, where the Sharks hold an advantage in speed.

The likes of Iginla, Marty Gelinas, Patrick Marleau and Vincent Damphousse are sure to make the series a fast-paced ride, but I think Nabokov stands out in goal and the Sharks douse the Flames in six.

Over in the East, Tampa won't have it so easy anymore. They'll use their speed, however, to wear the Flyers down and advance to their first Stanley Cup. Lightning in seven.

Mikztsu
05-05-2004, 05:11 PM
I've been right so far in my predictions; I said Sharks'll beat Blues in 5, then Avs in 6 and they WILL beat Flames in 5. ;-) But only thing that matters is that Sharks will beat them.

Why Sharks really are so good? Sure, they have maybe the best defence and goaltending in the league, four lines that can score...but above all else, they have INCREDIBLE speed. Blues and Avs's defence looked very poor and slow in the teeth of Sharks offence. It's really been stunning to the opponent.

By the way, that sucker Selänne left Sharks last summer to Avalanche, because "He wanted to win the Stanley Cup." Lol. Team that takes Selänne in their team is jinxed to NOT win the cup, and team that gets rid of him seems to upset the whole league. ( See Ducks last year)

Go Sharks!

The Captain
05-05-2004, 06:10 PM
I just wanted to give a moment of thanks to two hockey players who have probably played their final games: Stevie Yzerman and Peter Forsberg.

I like Tampa Bay's chances against the Flyers and the Sharks dominated the Avs, though I worry that they might not be as sure of themselves after struggling to close the series out. Still, I expect those two teams to make it to the cup.

Take care all.

muchacho
05-06-2004, 04:38 AM
the one thing i didnt want to happen does, the flyers play the lighting. dang.