PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Vs Star Trek

Erdrick Holmes
04-11-2004, 02:12 AM
Which one do you think is better?

Side note, the Star Wars Clone Wars Mini series on Cartoon Network kicks ass!

metCloud
04-11-2004, 02:15 AM
I only liked one Star Trek movie and didnt like the series. I like every Star Wars movie made, so I say Star Wars.

TheAbominatrix
04-11-2004, 02:33 AM
Definitly Star Wars. I cant stand any of the Trek movies or the show.

Kirobaito
04-11-2004, 02:36 AM
I've tried watching Star Trek, and I find it to be so incredibly stupid. Star Wars is quite tasteful.

**votes for the Force**

Del Murder
04-11-2004, 03:19 AM
No brainer for me.

The Clone Wars shows are ok. When they show them all together it's better, I can't really get into a five minute spot.

Lord Chainsaw
04-11-2004, 04:08 AM
I think Rodenberry is better than Lucas, but I think Star Wars is better than Star Trek.

Calliope
04-11-2004, 04:30 AM
Clone Wars...shows?!

WE ARE THE E E E E E EEEEEEEEEEEWOKS!

RSL
04-11-2004, 04:32 AM
star trek sucks

escobert
04-11-2004, 04:40 AM
star wars.. no contest.

Dr Unne
04-11-2004, 04:47 AM
I don't know what people see in Star Wars. The old movies were OK. The new movies are both terrible to the point where I think they're riding on the name of the franchise. Star Trek, on the other hand, is great. The series moreso than the movies, though some movies (KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN) were good. It has characters who actually have fairly well-developed personalities, for one thing. And there's almost nothing I hate more than mixing fantasy with sci-fi. Leave fantasy alone. :mad2: Swords + guns = MORONIC. People must learn this.

Calliope
04-11-2004, 04:51 AM

Dingo Jellybean
04-11-2004, 04:53 AM
Star Trek.

Star Wars is just light saber after light saber.

Erdrick Holmes
04-11-2004, 04:59 AM
Star Trek is all about the crew going on the ships transporter but it malfuntions and they wind up on some distant time or on some alien world, and they end up fighting off some giant aliens with large pole weapons!

Dingo Jellybean
04-11-2004, 05:05 AM
Star Wars is really based on action that's more reptitive than blinking an eye. None of the Star Wars movies I've seen made me interested in them because their lack of accurate science facts and pointless light-saber battles.

Star Trek had more purpose than just cutting people in half with a light saber. It was more on exploration and a sense of purpose. Star Wars was just over-hyped drama that had HORRIBLE coreographed fights, mainly in the early movies in the 70's.

Besides, Gene Roddenbery(however you spell it) and Issac Asimov together would shoot down anything John Lucas has in a second.

Kirobaito
04-11-2004, 05:07 AM
Besides, Gene Roddenbery(however you spell it) and Issac Asimov together would shoot down anything John Lucas has in a second.

Nah. I doubt Gene or Isaac can play any basketball whatsoever. They may be able to take John Lucas Jr., but not the younger point guard from Oklahoma State, John Lucas III.

I'm pretty sure you mean George Lucas.

Erdrick Holmes
04-11-2004, 05:07 AM
It's <b>George</b> Lucas, you cheese :p

Kirobaito
04-11-2004, 05:13 AM
Ya, Joel, I already told him, but I satired it more by talking about the person he accidentally stated.

Dingo Jellybean
04-11-2004, 05:16 AM
Nah. I doubt Gene or Isaac can play any basketball whatsoever. They may be able to take John Lucas Jr., but not the younger point guard from Oklahoma State, John Lucas III.

I'm pretty sure you mean George Lucas.

I got them confused...too much basketball and too weak of a SWs influence.

Kirobaito
04-11-2004, 05:18 AM
Yeah, but that was, like, a week ago that OK St. was beat. Your mine should already be focused on some other sport. I don't think there's anyone with the last name 'Lucas' in the MLB.

Dingo Jellybean
04-11-2004, 05:22 AM
But baseball is boring. Which is why I don't really focus on the MLB.

Kirobaito
04-11-2004, 05:26 AM
Baseball is boring, except when your team has a winning record for the first time in over a year (see sig).

Anyway back on topic: who would win in a barfight between Gene Roddenberry and Chewbacca.

m4tt
04-11-2004, 06:10 AM
I watched Star Trek when I was a kid, but only because my dad was watching it. Star Wars is much better.

And yes, the Clone Wars Micro Series rules. Can't wait till they come out with the DVD will all 20 episodes in a row.

Del Murder
04-11-2004, 08:30 AM
Star Wars is for dorks and Star Trek is for nerds. A dork is someone who has packaged Star Wars toys lining the walls of his room, a nerd is someone who takes the time to learn the Klingon language. I could never get into the nerdy sci-fi stuff in Star Trek. Star Wars is more of an adventure of a handful of heroes trying to save the galaxy than a bunch of aliens and 'exploring new worlds'.

Heath
04-11-2004, 08:31 AM
Star Wars, I could never get into Star Trek even when I tried.

This Clone Wars mini series thing sounds interesting, but I don't think they show it here. Then again, they probably do, I just don't watch much television any more, which is another reason why I prefer films to programmes.

jrgen
04-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Star Wars.
But Star Trek is really cool too.

Rainecloud
04-11-2004, 04:38 PM
I have a passing interest in both Star Wars and Star Trek, although I prefer Star Wars by a rather large margin. The predictable episodes and cheesy characters in Star Trek ruin it for me.

Aphelion
04-11-2004, 06:04 PM
Star Wars. "Begone the Clone War is."

Mr. Graves
04-11-2004, 06:23 PM
I'm less familiar with Star Wars than Trek, but I think that Trek would have more going for it in terms of real story-telling power. I mean, it's got about 5 TV series to it's credit, and 6 movies? Star War has 5 movies, and some books that aren't written by Lucus, and that's it. And I like Kirk better than Solo.

I choose Star Trek out of pure principle.

Burtsplurt
04-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Star Trek, particularly The Next Generation. The only good Star Wars film is The Empire Strikes Back. The other ones are silly, what with short bears and silly, Jamaican, floppy-eared idiots.

Kossage
04-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Well, both Star Wars and Star Trek are good but I like Star Wars more. :)

TheAbominatrix
04-12-2004, 12:13 AM
some books that aren't written by Lucus, and that's it. And I like Kirk better than Solo.

'Some books'... eh, if you lined up the books of SW and the plots of ST, you may just about break even. There's hundreds of those books, and all the ones I've read are very very good. Not to argue with your point or anything.

Kirk better than Solo? No way! Though I did have a slight crush on young Kirk when I was a kid.

Leeza
04-12-2004, 12:49 AM
<i>Star Wars is for dorks and Star Trek is for nerds.</i> - Del Murder

I'm proud to be a nerd. :)

Star Wars is good entertainment, but it's Star Trek for me. Han Solo is one of my favourite characters, but I'd rather see Bones, Jim, Spock, Scottie and Chekov. :)

Agent Proto
04-12-2004, 01:26 AM
Star Trek is more interesting. 8-) My dad is a Trekkie, but it hasn't picked up on me, because I don't watch the shows as much as he does. I probably should check out the episodes he has on DVDs some day. Should be interesting.

Calliope
04-12-2004, 04:29 AM
Now I am sad because this star wars thread reminded me of an episode of 'third rock from the sun' where everyone was obsessed with beanie babies and had lots but Harry wasn't allowed any and he FINALLY was given a little zebra but he wasn't allowed to take it out of the packet and had to say "hello little zebra!" and make it prance along the ground in it's little plastic bag. It was really very sad.

And as for Solo vs Kirk: Harrison Ford wins :D

Big D
04-14-2004, 04:58 AM
Star Trek, I'm afraid, has past its prime. I used to enjoy it a heck of a lot; I still do, in fact.
However, they've not had a decent script so far this millennium. Voyager had more potential than most shows do, but never even got close to realising it; all we got was endless episodes of "Evil Aliens&#153 try to kill/take over/eat Voyager and its crew", a particularly dull and rather dumb concept. Especially after 170+ episodes. Really, take any episode and that basic plot outline fits. It's sad, all those potentially good ideas and characters were wasted because of poor writing. Deep Space Nine finished strong; I really liked the combination of spiritualism and gritty militarism throughout the series. Enterprise, however, looked like a brilliant concept, but it's gone the way of Voyager, apparently. "Evil Alien&#153" scripts by the dozen, no attempt to be imaginative or creative or to do something original and new. Even the "alien" cultures are wholly derived from human concepts; there's nothing original about any of it. Enterprise, incidentally, isn't shown on public TV here anymore; the first season (not a bad one, actually) was all we got; now it's only available to Sky TV subscribers. A quick glance at outlines for upcoming episodes, though, reveals the less-than-startling truth that every episode now is just a variation on that lame, tired theme.

So yeah... Star Trek was once great, but it hasn't been anything special for years.

Well, that was a nice little rant, wasn't it?
I guess I'm just a bit annoyed that so many great ideas and prospects had to go down the toilet because the writers were too lazy to think of something creative and unique.

Star Wars has always been a pretty reliable source of lightweight fun, good action and a little bit of mysticism. Enjoyable, exciting, not especially profound or deep, but with good character development and interaction. At least, the original three films were like that, can't really say the same for The Phantom Menace. Haven't seen Episode II yet, but must do so one of these days.

Originally posted by Dr Unne
some movies (KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN) were good
The best moments in Star Trek come from its ability to examine and critique human beings, our personalities, motivations, history, strengths and weaknesses. In my opinion, that's always been their greatest strength. Khan, for example, was invented in the 60s, but it still a very relevant statement about greed, megalomania, and eugenics - as well as a brilliant 'bad guy'.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
04-14-2004, 05:23 AM
ive only seen star wars....so i gues ill just vote star wars.....i liked it....t'was good

darkchrono
04-16-2004, 07:49 AM
star wars all the way for me.

Wars characters are much more enjoyable to me (they relate to the human spirit's sense of fantasy and adventure much more than Trek's characters do.)

Star Wars is a movie for those who just want to watch something layed back and fun. Star Trek is a thinking man's movie.

Peegee
04-16-2004, 11:04 AM
I don't know what you people have against the first 3 movies of star wars (the ones with mcgregor). When they came out, it was phenomenal. The first one blew all the warsies away when Darth Maul let loose with a light staff (a light saber with two beams coming out). The second one blew me away with its fighting sequence. The last one's going to impress me all the same.

With that said, Star Trek is just so impressive with its tv shows. I especially enjoy the original, TNG, and voyager. I don't recall any of the movies (except for that one where they meet a diety inside a black hole or something), so I can't comment on them. I would like to see them though.

Sordex
04-16-2004, 07:33 PM
Star Wars is better than Star trek actualy ,I newer saw Star trek. :-B

Dr Unne
04-16-2004, 08:12 PM
<I> Star Trek, I'm afraid, has past its prime.</i> --Big D

That's certainly true. I mostly lost interest after the TNG.

Star Trek is as close to "good" sci-fi as you can get. Good sci-fi uses technology as a tool to explore human nature, just like any other good book; the setting should be a tool for presenting the theme, the setting shouldn't be the whole point in and of itself. Being TV, Star Trek doesn't come close to a good book or anything of course, but it comes much closer than Star Wars. Star Trek explored subjects like, what constitutes life? Can a machine be alive? Star Trek explored the concept of the nature of god; what constitutes a god? There were many god-like creatures with god-like powers, but were they gods? In one episode a god-like being is found, but it turns out to be only a child. Almost every episode of Star Trek had something to do with a question of morality, and like some kind of philosophical thought-experiment, the setting of outer space let questions of morality be tested in extreme circumstances. You have things like prejudice and racism explored on a grand scale.

Star Wars has nothing but setting. No theme of any significance, hardly any character development. It always came across to me as something for children. People playing with swords, flat lifeless characters, mindless "good vs. evil" type battles. The high point of Star Wars: Yoda in a light saber battle. Mindless entertainment. Throw in some pseudo-religion, so people can think it "means something" (though exactly what it means, I don't think anyone could tell you), and there you go.

Del Murder
04-17-2004, 02:59 AM
Even when a biased Unne describes them Star Wars still sounds better. :D

DocFrance
04-17-2004, 03:36 AM
I grew up with the Next Generation. Data was my favorite character, and several times in my childhood I tried imitating him. Wesley was part of what inspired me to attend the Air Force Academy. Geordi partially inspired me to go into engineering. I had nightmares as a child after I saw Picard being turned into Locutus. My little brother and I always used to make-believe that we were characters on the show, and I still sometimes day-dream about being at the helm of the Enterprise. I can honestly say that a TV show had a significant effect on my childhood, and the years afterwards.

Star Trek, I'm afraid, has past its prime.
Yeah, I'd have to say it reached its prime right after Gene Roddenberry died. He really was the brains behind the show.

Todie
04-17-2004, 04:04 AM
I was raised on Star Wars. I used to act out that stuff with my little brother and my friends. We used to watch it as a family (the original 3 episodes) a lot when I was little. I used to talk about it with my dad and discuss the plot (when I was too little to completely understand everything in the movie).
I really haven't seen all that much of Star Trek, though I'd like to sometime. Maybe some of my trekky friends can 'educate' me......

darkchrono
04-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Well exactly what I said before. Star Wars is just meant to be a fun movie in which you can sit back and watch and enjoy. And that is probably why Star Wars is a little more popular than Star Trek. Because it doesn't take itself to seriously.

And you want to know what the story of the Star Wars movies is supposed to be about. It is about the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

Besides, I am sure the majority of people would prefer to watch a fun light saber duel between Jedi and Lords of the Sith long before they would want to sit and watch all the things in Star Trek that just makes you sit there and think.

muchacho
04-18-2004, 05:11 PM
didnt star trek have a episode were abraham lincon was brought back to life?

i vote star wars, but when is episode 3 comeing out?

Ariel
04-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Star Wars. I tried to watch Star Trek a couple of times, and it just wasn't for me. =O

Big D
04-19-2004, 05:53 AM
didnt star trek have a episode were abraham lincon was brought back to life?A make-believe Abraham Lincoln, "brought to life" out of the imagination of one of the characters (Kirk, for those of you who care for whatever reason).

Leene
09-10-2005, 10:17 AM
:save:Star Wars:save:

Channing
09-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Star Wars.

Star Trek made me what to fall asleep. It was so monotone until a suspicion arised. Then it'd go back to being dull again. ):

Dreddz
09-10-2005, 12:16 PM
I voted Star Trek, just cause I know they wouldnt get as many votes.....

Momiji
09-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Brought this thread back from the dead, huh?

Star Wars absolutely kills Star Trek. No need to explain. :p

Tifa's Real Lover(really
09-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Star Wars is the S*** right there, it can kicks star treks can anyday. may the force be with u, jus for the fact that star wars is easier to understand than star trek becuase star trek has like 999999999999999999999 types of tv shows, movies and junk while star wars is just simple, wow, tht didnt make sense did it?

star wars for me :cool:

Shoden
09-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Star Wars, didn't make me fall me fall alseep and I liked it.

Bad ass little green man with laser sword! ZOMG!

Craig
09-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Neither, I don't like Sci-fi. But I liked the last Star Wars movie so I guess that.

jrgen
09-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Star Wars is more like your regular adventure story than sci-fi.

fire_of_avalon
09-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Don't revive dead threads. Fenix down = bad.