PDA

View Full Version : Is it virus?

Singing_Wings
04-11-2004, 12:50 PM
When I used Spybot to search for adbots and spyware, my computer restarts when I didn't tell it to. I tried searching again but then it did the same thing. Yesterday when I wanted to use word pad or other word programs I couldn't type or do anything at all. But when I restart the computer it worked. Now when I'm in the middle of doing something a blue screen appeared with an error message. It said that I could press enter to return to what I was doing or whatever or ctrl+alt+del to restart and when I press enter the computer restarted. :confused:

Heath
04-11-2004, 01:03 PM
What operating system are you using?

And have you tried running Norton (if you have it)?

Singing_Wings
04-11-2004, 01:20 PM
I'm using Microsoft Windows. I don't think I have Norton, where can I get it?

crono_logical
04-11-2004, 01:43 PM
I'm using Microsoft Windows. I don't think I have Norton, where can I get it?Not useful, considering how many Windows versions there are :p Although the way you described the blue screen, it must be Win95/98/ME. Not saying what the error message was though isn't helpful, it tells you stuff because it's useful in finding out what's wrong, it might mean absolutely nothing to you, but could mean a lot to someone here.

Norton is a piece of crap, don't get it. :p Although running an anti-virus program of some sort is useful, especially for the average user that doesn't even realise how they get viruses on the PC in the first place.

How often does the rebooting happen? Does it only happen with Spybot, or with other programs too? Try AdAware as well as an alternative to Spybot/before running Spybot.

When you said the keyboard didn't work, was it in all programs, or only word ones that you tried in? (I assume you didn't test much seeing as most people will open programs with the mouse instead.)

As it stands from what you've told us about the problem, it could be absolutely anything from a virus to the computer overheating to Windows needing reinstalling to faulty hardware needing replacing to even loose wires which you're dislodging with your foot.

Singing_Wings
04-11-2004, 02:02 PM
It only happens with Spybot although sometimes the computer automatically restarts by itself when I'm in the middle of doing something. This happens quite a few times. The only program I couldn't type in was word programs. (notepad, wordpad, microsoft works word processor) The computer was also running kind of freezy with some programs lately. I don't mean it totally freezes but kind of like it isn't able to run constantly.

crono_logical
04-11-2004, 02:15 PM
But you can type in other places, like the Start Menu > Run... dialog box?

Does it happen <i>every</i> time you run Spybot? If so, you probably want to try AdAware first then.

In the end though, with the freezing etc. as well, it's probably a good idea to install a virus scanner and scan the computer, then reformat and reinstall Windows to a clean installation then put the virus scanner on again.

Might be good to check all the cabling is securely plugged in like the keyboard, power supply etc. and the fans at the rear have plenty of ventilation space. :p

Singing_Wings
04-11-2004, 02:24 PM
I don't think the cabling was the problem. When I tried restarting the computer, the typing worked. The computer will restart only while I search for adbots and spyware. This happens every time. I got Ad-aware and it's working perfectly fine. I think I'll just get a virus scan and check it out.

I really appreciate your help! :)

crono_logical
04-11-2004, 02:25 PM
You might want to delete and redownload Spybot too then, since that shouldn't do that normally :p

Heath
04-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Norton is a piece of crap, don't get it. :p Although running an anti-virus program of some sort is useful, especially for the average user that doesn't even realise how they get viruses on the PC in the first place.

I suggested Norton because it's what a lot of people have, so I thought it might help this situation.

crono_logical
04-11-2004, 03:27 PM
A lot of people have Windows (me too :p ), doesn't make it good :p

Heath
04-11-2004, 03:30 PM
I would say it was better than nothing, but I'm sure a lot of people would disagree and start going on about how DOS is better than Windows :p