PDA

View Full Version : Lucky

Strider
04-14-2004, 04:38 PM
Okay, so Barry Bonds hit home run number 660 two days ago, which tied him with the great Willie Mays for third all-time. Yesterday, Bonds hit 661 to pass Mays and keep third for himself. But that's not what this is about.

What this is about, rather, is the fact that the same guy caught both home runs. Larry Ellison happened to be out on the water beyond right field, and snagged a couple pieces of history. He gave 660 back to Bonds for a whole bunch of cool stuff, commenting at that time that "he might get a lot of grief over giving it back". And then he got the next one, which he kept to himself.

Incredible, in a word. We should all have luck like Larry Ellison, am I right? Have any of you ever had incredible strokes of luck like that? Right place at the right time or something like that? And do you even believe in luck?

KingAlces
04-14-2004, 04:43 PM
Luck doesn't actually exist, in my world. Only things that look remarkably like luck.

But I do believe in Fate: not like Greek mythology fate or even predestination fate, but literary fate, the sort where poetic justice and situational irony reign supreme.

I believe that man was fated to catch the second ball from his unselfish decision to give the first one back.

Denmark
04-14-2004, 06:04 PM
interesting theory.

Stayin Dizzy
04-14-2004, 06:58 PM
Luck doesn't actually exist, in my world. Only things that look remarkably like luck.

But I do believe in Fate: not like Greek mythology fate or even predestination fate, but literary fate, the sort where poetic justice and situational irony reign supreme.

I believe that man was fated to catch the second ball from his unselfish decision to give the first one back.

I couldn't have said it better myself

Dingo Jellybean
04-14-2004, 07:30 PM
Luck is too abstract to be really defined. None of our 5 senses can realize it. I'm just afraid that luck tends to balance itself out sometimes. I remember someone in Chicago won like 100 mil, yet was homeless 5 years later.

Destiny,fate,fortune...like luck, are all abstract. They are just words to explain phenomena that we all can't understand.

Lindy
04-14-2004, 08:01 PM
Luck should be like in Advance Wars 2.

A 10% to 20% chance of doing +1HP damage.

Erdrick Holmes
04-14-2004, 08:01 PM
I bought a scratch and win ticket, I had to match the number "259" and I got "258" instead. If I would have gotten that then I would have won 100 dollars.

Flying Mullet
04-14-2004, 08:59 PM
You're talking about sports flukes and luck, someone told me that two people made a hole-in-one on the same hole during the Masters last weekend.

Kirobaito
04-14-2004, 09:42 PM
FM-
There were about 5 or 6 Eagles at the Masters.

Maxico
04-14-2004, 11:01 PM
well if that guy had a routine of walking by the ball park or whatever you call it every day then it would be feasable that he would catch it twice in a row.

I would like to believe in fate and luck and all sorts of things but theres always a voice in the back of my head that says, "naah you just a bunch of molocules and chemicals" its kinda depressing really.

Kirobaito
04-15-2004, 12:46 AM
well if that guy had a routine of walking by the ball park or whatever you call it every day then it would be feasable that he would catch it twice in a row.

The Giants' Stadium has a small outfield stand, and beyond that is a thing called the Pacific Ocean. The guy that got the balls obtained them while in the water, in a kayak.

eestlinc
04-15-2004, 06:17 AM
luck is one of those things that is present in life but nobody knows exactly what it does. helps you run away, I think.

Dragonflame
04-15-2004, 09:24 PM
Luck is a really strange thing. I don't really believe in it, and yet I do. All I know about luck is that I have absolutely none, except when it comes to guessing the answers on quizzes.

Dr Unne
04-15-2004, 09:49 PM
The human mind finds patterns in things. Doesn't mean a pattern actually exists. This is like firing a machine-gun at a target randomly, finding two holes that are right next to each other, drawing a circle around them and proclaiming "Look, two holes right next to each other! What are the odds! Must've been fate!"

Casey
04-15-2004, 10:54 PM
Man that guy was lucky, one time I found 20 bucks on the ground. What are the chances of that happening? 1/1000000? Im lucky.

Peegee
04-15-2004, 11:41 PM
I'm alive! How lucky is that????

Del Murder
04-17-2004, 07:17 AM
My entire life is a stroke of luck. I am the luckiest person I have ever known and, sometimes I wish I could rub it off on people, because I really don't need it all.