PDA

View Full Version : Reused Names

TasteyPies
04-14-2004, 09:14 PM
Whilep laying ff6 i noticed Bigs and Matron were mentioned (also mentioned in ff8)

Anyone know any other reused names in the final fantasies?

DocFrance
04-14-2004, 09:53 PM
"Matron" isn't a name - it's a title. It means a female caretaker, and comes from the latin mater, meaning "mother." At least I think that's correct.

The names Biggs and Wedge are in VI, VII, and VIII, although Biggs was mistranslated as "Vicks" in VI. Cid has also been used in every FF since II.

Kirobaito
04-14-2004, 10:03 PM
Matron is a title, yes. However, I think it was used as Edea's former name in FFVIII (I could have that wrong though, it's been forever since I've played it).

crono_logical
04-14-2004, 10:03 PM
Yuna and Rikku were in FFX and FFX-2 :D

Xander
04-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Yuna and Rikku were in FFX and FFX-2 :D

Ooh, ooh and so were Brother and Lulu and Wakka and Kimahri.

But yeah all I can think of is Cid, Biggs and Wedge. Ooh but Cloud and Squall were mentioned in FFIX too ^_^ *hearts FFIX*

TheAbominatrix
04-14-2004, 10:10 PM
Matron is a title, yes. However, I think it was used as Edea's former name in FFVIII (I could have that wrong though, it's been forever since I've played it).

She never changed her name, Matron was just what the kids called her, because she was, after all, their Matron. Matron in VI was the caretaker of Edgar and Sabin.

Anyway, Biggs and Wedge are in every game since VI, and then there's of course Cid.

PhoenixAsh
04-14-2004, 10:56 PM
Object names are reused a lot, Ragnarok and Masamune for example.

BG-57
04-15-2004, 01:10 AM
Don't forget the Summons (Shiva and Ifrit appear in essentially every Final Fantasy that has Summons).

Del Murder
04-15-2004, 05:23 AM
Rikku (X) and Riku (KH). Maybe that's a common name in Japan.

Mo-Nercy
04-15-2004, 10:18 AM
And Bahamut.

TasteyPies
04-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Question....is the Atma weapon in FFVI an early form of Ultima weapon?

And if so how about FFI Warmech?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Anyway, Biggs and Wedge are in every game since VIExcept IX.

Rikku (X) and Riku (KH). Maybe that's a common name in Japan.Except they're different names.

Question....is the Atma weapon in FFVI an early form of Ultima weapon?

And if so how about FFI Warmech?"Atma Weapon" was a mistranslation of Ultima Weapon. "Warmech" reappeared in FFVII as an inexplicably weak common enemy, but under the correct translation of Death Machine.

TasteyPies
04-15-2004, 07:49 PM
"Warmech" reappeared in FFVII as an inexplicably weak common enemy, but under the correct translation of Death Machine.

But do you think "Warmech" was the early inspiration to Ultima weapon?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-15-2004, 08:08 PM
No. Ultima Weapon has always been a living, breathing monster. Death Machine was, well, a machine.

TheAbominatrix
04-15-2004, 11:00 PM
Except IX.

I always forget that.

DJZen
04-17-2004, 04:24 AM
No. Ultima Weapon has always been a living, breathing monster. Death Machine was, well, a machine.

I think he meant conceptually, in which case, I'd have to say possibly but not definitely. Warmech (yes, I'm calling the dang machine Warmech since that's what my copy calls it :tongue: ) is optional, but you really don't need to og out of your way to find it. In fact, you can run across it while playing only the most necessary parts of the game required to beat it. However, it IS difficult to find and VERY difficult to beat (ESPECIALLY IN ORIGINS OMFG!!!!), so it's possible that they took the idea of Warmech/Death Machine, and made the optional super-hard bosses in FFII based on it. Then it's VERY possible that they took those and made the ultra mega hard secret bosses in later games based on them. Hmmmmmm.....