PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a silly dilemma... how can I solve it?

Murakawa
04-14-2004, 09:41 PM
I'm in the US at the moment, and I'm gonna get two copies of FF-XI - one for me and one for my friend. We decided that we'd form some kind of party together straight away... but I've just thought of a problem that might arise.

We're both really competitive, to an extent where its beyond petty ;) If we formed a party together, would only one of us get to be the leader? I just have a terrible feeling that much tension will arise if that's the case. He wouldn't be happy if I were the leader, and I wouldn't be happy if he was, either ^_^;;;

Maybe we should just join different parties or something! Unless anyone here can suggest something that'd make it more equal?

Thanks!

Murakawa

Rostum
04-14-2004, 11:50 PM
Just play the game, you won't be partying till level 10+ anyways. And you're not ALWAYS going to be playing in the same party all the time. It's not like once you have a party you stick with it, you can go to as many as you want if they are available. Trust me, you'll see things differently once you're in the game.

Chaos Theory
05-05-2004, 12:57 AM
Or, you could always both join the same party, then someone else is the leader and your both still in the same party.

Citizen Bleys
05-05-2004, 03:29 AM
Take turns, or stop caring. The leadership role is pretty much useless, anyways. I never lead the party.

Lionx
05-05-2004, 03:42 AM
It is definetly not useless, only the parties that dont chain are or the ones that are good friends dont care about leadership. In a pick up party, the leader should and call all the shots and be responsible for the party. I know that if i dont lead some parties(even when i aint leader) we wont ever get enough exp by the end of the day. Especially true at Qufim lvls.

Ichy
05-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Like Lionx here has pointed out, real leadership isn't just about being the boss. It's about lending confidance in your PTs abilities and direction to your comrades during your endeavors.

In almost every party I've ever had there has been no need for the game's definition of who is leader. We decide what and where to kill, we all know and play our jobs and we just go. Everything gets done and done well. The odd time I'm in a group with someone who doesn't know what they're doing I just sit back and let nature takes it's course, sooner or later they'll learn from experience or someone will approach them on the subject, either way is fine with me. In my PTs often myself or someone will ask, "Who wants to be leader?" while we're playing because we get tired of being asked if there's room. It is far from uncommon for people to respond, "Not me." or "I don't care." We still chain mobs and take care of one annother and everyone feels like an equal part in the affair.

In regards to having leaders who let that silly little yellow dot get to their heads and give orders and what not... I leave immediately (the exception to this is while going on large scale quests or events where a little extra direction is often needed to keep an alliance from getting seperated). I play because I want to have fun, not have some arrogant prick try and boss me around and tell me what and how to do everything I'm already doing. Likewise, if a party is really incompetent enough that they need a leader like that, then I really don't want to be in it anyhow.

The only real usefulness a PT leader has is to boot and recruit. That means you get the final say, so I can see how you and your friend may be competitive over it, however I think you'll find that it's far better not to use that final say and instead take most things to a vote. Your teamates will appreciate it alot more and stick around longer for more fun. If you adopt the hardass "I'm the boss so listen up and do what I say" attitude you're going to get a whole lot of players who are going to argue with you (and think very ill of you... and you will most likely see the majority of them again at some point) and/or leave.

Lionx
05-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Yea as he said, you dont like BOSS them around, but you are going to have to try to help accellerate the PT overall. Like suggeust what WSs to do for Skillchains. Because many times if i dont ask, sometimes there isnt one. So as leader, take initiative, try to give advice in a good manner. Dont tell them to USE SNEAK ATTACK OR I WILL B00tzorz you!. Ok extreme, but the point is dont "Teach them", give them sugguestions are fine. Because teaching, unless they are newb or something, doesnt usually work. You are also responsible for kick party members out that are hindering 5 other people. Recruiting the RIGHT party members too, its also dependant on you.

Where it doesnt usually make that much of a deal that your leader or not so long the party goes right and everyone is having a fun time, sometimes a leader is good because it does help everyone go in a general sense of direction. Especially if you play with japanese players who willsubmit under the leader and will try to be htat way due to cultural differences. Party members respect some of the leader's sugguestions and things, if you dont agree ask respectfully, party leaders try to think of everyone in the party and try to make it go smoother. Member to Leader relationships(unless in a group of friends) are mutual.

But again it doesnt matter too much if your just chaining at a spot for 5 hours :D