PDA

View Full Version : next generation unreal game engine.

Casey
04-15-2004, 11:37 PM
http://www.scifience.net/unreal3_0002.wmv

Looks like its early in development, maybe have to upgrade for this one. :D 300,000 million polygons, lotta polygons...

Chzn8r
04-19-2004, 05:41 AM
Yeah I saw this a few days ago. Mindblowing, absolutely insane. Just fathoming this as standard, by the second gameplay. Not some specially made FMV that you never see... this is the game. Most damn real game gfx I have ever seen.
Too bad I'll need a 500 dollar gfx card to use it... maybe in my next lifetime!!!

Casey
04-19-2004, 06:00 AM
Yeah, probably the time it gets out radeon pro 9800 will get cheaper. :p Its amazing though, 300,000,000 polygons. Compare that to a typical playstation2 game, its like 3-4 times better.

Bernhard
04-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Yeah I saw this a few days ago. Mindblowing, absolutely insane. Just fathoming this as standard, by the second gameplay. Not some specially made FMV that you never see... this is the game. Most damn real game gfx I have ever seen.
Too bad I'll need a 500 dollar gfx card to use it... maybe in my next lifetime!!!

The new nVidia chip NV40, the chip they used to be able to run this engine at acceptable framerates costs about $500 as we type (the video cards that use NV40 chip that is). Not an extreme price for a card based on the newest, cutting-edge technology. Thing is, the new engine (3.0) that's demonstrated in the clip will not be used in any games for another 3-4 years. So once you actually need one of these babies, they won't cost anything near that. (Mostly because there will be new video cards based on nVidia's and Radeon's next generation chips. The generation that will come after the NV40 and R420 chips, that is.)

I especially like the improved pixel shading and bumpmapping that's possible with the new engine. The walls look awesome even when you're right next to them.

Erdrick Holmes
04-22-2004, 01:58 PM
I like how detailed they got the reflective surfaces and the way the light sorta rippled in that watery looking item. Yeah, the graphics card to run that might need to be a new set just to run the thing.