PDA

View Full Version : Power supply not working.

Shoeberto
04-16-2004, 02:12 AM
I recently bought a new case that arrived in the mail today. As part of it, I bought a 400watt power supply. I got everything transferred over into the new case, got all the connectors on their appropriate pins, but when I went to power it up, the lights went on for a few seconds and then it turned off. I tried again after this, but the lights only came on for a second and the fans started to spin up, but then it turned off. Eventually, I tried turning the power supply off, unplugging it, turned off/on the surge protector, but I got to the point where it wouldn't go any further than the fans starting to spin up and then turning off. I even tried using the power supply from my old case with the same results.

If it turns out that I'm going to need to replace something like the motherboard, I'm going to be quite upset.

Flying Mullet
04-16-2004, 02:20 AM
Have you checked to see if any fuses blew when you fired up the computer? If some fuses did blow then you should double check all of your settings, plugs, pins, etc... as you might not have your settings right and the fuse is blowing to keep your CPU and other components from getting fried.

Peegee
04-16-2004, 02:25 AM
*hijacks thread* ooc: how do I have two power supplies working at the same time? Do I need a second mobo?

okay now that my question is asked, have you tried replacing your 'new' PSU (power supply unit) with the old one? Just to see if it's the PSU that's gone awry or the mobo/processor *gasp*

Shoeberto
04-16-2004, 04:49 PM
Yeah, what I meant to say was that I tried using the old one in place of the new one. I didn't have both running at the same time.

Where could I check to see if any fuses are blown? I didn't see anything that looked like a standard fuse on it.

Baloki
04-17-2004, 12:53 PM
Is the power supply plugged into the motherboard?

Shoeberto
04-18-2004, 04:43 PM
Yes, it's plugged in. This isn't my first time doing this.

Baloki
04-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Yes, it's plugged in. This isn't my first time doing this.

Sorry, I've done it many times before and it was always something I forgot.

crono_logical
04-18-2004, 07:16 PM
Whee, my PSU is dead now :p

Shoeberto
04-19-2004, 04:57 PM
I don't think the PSU is bad, because that would mean that both PSUs - including the one I was using maybe 45 minutes before I made the case swap, went bad. Plus, there is *some* power going to the mobo. I think something on it must be broken, but I can't figure it out.

What I've tried:
- unplugging everything sans the ram, cpu/cpu fan, and ATX connector to see if maybe one of the PCI or IDE devices was causing the short. Nothing.
- swapping the ram in its slot
- resetting the CMOS.
- unscrewing the mobo from the case and putting it on a different surface to see if somethign in the case was causing a short. nothing.

I'm thinking about taking it to a repair shop here in town. It's prettymuch gotten beyond my novice hardware abilities.

Baloki
04-19-2004, 05:07 PM
I don't think the PSU is bad, because that would mean that both PSUs - including the one I was using maybe 45 minutes before I made the case swap, went bad. Plus, there is *some* power going to the mobo. I think something on it must be broken, but I can't figure it out.

What I've tried:
- unplugging everything sans the ram, cpu/cpu fan, and ATX connector to see if maybe one of the PCI or IDE devices was causing the short. Nothing.
- swapping the ram in its slot
- resetting the CMOS.
- unscrewing the mobo from the case and putting it on a different surface to see if somethign in the case was causing a short. nothing.

I'm thinking about taking it to a repair shop here in town. It's prettymuch gotten beyond my novice hardware abilities.

Just a point, if it did short then doing those things wouldn't matter as it would either be fried or something tripped. Check the processor isn't burned.

Shoeberto
04-19-2004, 05:20 PM
I'm kind of...unsure about checking the processor. I've had bad experiences with taking the fan off to check it and then messing it up really bad.

Baloki
04-19-2004, 05:33 PM
fair enough

crono_logical
04-19-2004, 07:03 PM
Have you got access to another working computer which you can test the PSUs in?