PDA

View Full Version : Hey look! A chest...

Rase
04-16-2004, 08:17 AM
I've always wondered, why are there chests in dungeons? Why would someone go through the trouble to battle monsters to place chests in dungeons and leave? Why wouldn't the bosses take these so anyone coming to challenege them couldn't use the weapons against them? Why am I obsessing on these details?
Discuss.

Mo-Nercy
04-16-2004, 10:13 AM
Well, the chests that appear in dungeons always contain goodies unlike the regular treasure chests you find normally.

Take this scenario. The path to the dungeon boss is left fork, then right fork, then left fork, then left fork, then right fork. Then you be 100% sure that there will be a treasure chest in the first right fork, the next left fork, the next right fork etc. (if not a treasure chest, then most likely a switch that opens up the opposite fork allowing the player to proceed.)

My theory? The bosses have strategically planted these chests so the player is inconvenienced and has to walk further to get all the chests. Oh, the evility of it all!

Bahamut2000X
04-16-2004, 01:52 PM
Old people put them in there just cause thier stupid. *nod*

TheAbominatrix
04-16-2004, 02:00 PM
Well maybe they put them there before monsters came? Like Moria in LotR?

BG-57
04-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Reminds me of a great article in Dragon magazine years ago that addressed these issues:

1) Boss monsters scatter their treasure all over the dungeons in bits and pieces instead of gathering it all in one place.

2) Boss monsters often live in rooms that have exits too small for them to get out of.

3) The party always happen to be in the right place at the right time to get details of their next quest. You never have the adventurers hanging around the pub for a few weeks and killing time.

Marble
04-16-2004, 05:01 PM
Hahaha, I've never thought of the second one. xD

DJZen
04-17-2004, 04:18 AM
Those first and second ones are fascinatingly true. It's like they have a death wish or something.

Del Murder
04-17-2004, 07:44 AM
Magic.