PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid 3

gokufusionss1
04-16-2004, 06:06 PM
I've just watched the trailer shown at E3 and picked up a few things so i want to turn this into an info/rumour thread about the game.

Here's what i picked up

Only scenes show are in a small village dock and jungle
It's set during the cold war
apparently over the years 1961-1964
due to the time period this can't be solid snake as we know him
this is backed up by a missing eye in the trailer, my only idea is that this is big boss
The graphics haven't improved massively
the game engine does seem to have more active surroundings climbable trees rushing water animal life.
You eat snakes?

Kirobaito
04-16-2004, 09:48 PM
Yeah, you must eat stuff to survive, which makes it more realistic. You also blend in with your surroundings to hide from enemies, and there's a percentage thing in the upper right corner that tells what the chances that the enemy will see you.

Maxico
04-17-2004, 12:03 PM
snake will have a little counter at the top of the screen with a percentage of how hidden he is. You will be able to change your camo gear and apply face paint to become more invisible. This is logical so different combinations will work better in different situations. There is even a crocodile head that was shown on the video at the playstation experiance (which I was at) Hideo Kojima (the director, producer, concept creator, ect) was at the event and he answered a few questions. The only really usfull peice of information he gave was that Gray fox will not be in the game. Konami is also going to run a compo to see who can create the best camo gear. The best one (judged on effectivness, style, and comedy value) will be inculded in the game. The game will not only be in a jungle but some mountains and a military base will also be included. There will be dogs and some nice effects I saw in the trailer like fish flying out of the water when explosive go off.
It proabaly will be big boss because in the E3 handout there were some seemingly random letters but read down spelt out big boss.
It will probably be set in zanzibar as on the site there is for a split second a picture with a map of asia. It has a snake on top. the snakes head is placed between china, pakistan, russia and india. Zanzibar was said to be placed between these 4 nuclear powers.
Its also been rumoured that if you eat alot of a certain creature you will begin to gain its characteristics.

Thats all I know that hasn't been mentioned.

Blackmage
04-17-2004, 11:20 PM
That trailer cracks me up. Right there at the end... "Snaaaaaake Eaaaaater!!" I think they made it a bit too Bond-esque, but that's just me.

Yeah, that active camo system could be pretty tight. It's going to help give the game an even more real feel to it. Hopefully, MGS3 will provide a lot of background info. for the other games, and perhaps even pull the story completely together.

When this game comes out, I'm gonna die too much from walking around in a gator hat. 'Cause that gator hat looks farkin' awesome.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-18-2004, 01:30 AM
The song and the whole Bond influence is a self-conscious joke--partly because this game takes place in the early '60s (which were also the origin of the Bond series), and partly because Metal Gear has always drawn a certain amount of inspiration from 007.

There've been three trailers so far. 5:01 (Tokyo Game Show), 11:49 (E3), and 10:29 (Camouflage). I really like to watch them.

Maxico
04-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Which one was at the playstation experiance then (september or august) I know it wasn't shown at E3 and I dont think it was at the tokyo game show and Im pretty sure they said it was a first veiwing. It was the one that shows snake being caught in a boobie trap, cutting himself out and it was the one to reveal the croc head.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-19-2004, 08:07 PM
That was the Tokyo Game Show one, with the Bond-like song.

Big D
04-25-2004, 02:11 AM
The only really usfull peice of information he gave was that Gray fox will not be in the game.Since Fox was a child soldier during the 1980s, it kind of goes without saying that he can't have been around in the '60s.

I like the idea of a primitive, natural setting for a change. camouflage - except for boxes and shadows - never really appeared as an option in the other games... although I'm hoping that the game will reveal more about the Patriots, or "La-li-lu-le-lo", revealed in 'Sons of Liberty', since we were told tantalisingly few hard facts and were left with plenty of unanswered questions.

Shoyku
04-25-2004, 02:38 AM
I can't wait to see the reasoning behind Big Boss' missing eye. Also, I'm hoping that the secrets aren't unlocked through collecting dog-tags, I hated going through that process during SoL and Substance.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-25-2004, 03:13 AM
Kojima's said that the tag-collecting won't return. Said he wants to try something else. So that's good.

Shoyku
04-25-2004, 04:46 AM
I'm thankful for that. *sigh of relief*

Big D
04-25-2004, 04:59 AM
I can't wait to see the reasoning behind Big Boss' missing eye.He ran out of snakes.Kojima's said that the tag-collecting won't return. Said he wants to try something else. So that's good.Yep. I got Substance recently, and mugging terrorists for their dog tags - while entertaining - quickly becomes a hassle. I liked the MGS1 approach, getting a different item for completing each ending of the game... I'm hoping Snake Eater will allow more choices.

Maxico
04-25-2004, 11:57 AM
Wait a second. I remeber reading a thing about the past of metal gear and Im sure it said that he lost his eye in the 80's and it was that the promted him to retire from military service. If so how could the scene where the jungle is burning and snake has a missing eye be in the 60's. At the playstation experiance kojima neither confirmed or denied that it was solid or big boss, saying that you played as "snake". This may mean that later on you play as solid revisting the place where his father fought.

gokufusionss1
04-25-2004, 03:42 PM
maybe it's solidus because in MGS2 he appears mid 50's

Lindy
04-25-2004, 11:04 PM
maybe it's solidus because in MGS2 he appears mid 50's

Solidus doesn't look a thing like Big Boss, and so wouldn't look a thing like Snake did when he was younger. Eh, it's Big Boss anyway, they stated it explicitly.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-26-2004, 12:58 AM
Solidus actually looks a lot like Big Boss--even more than Solid or Liquid do, particularly because of his aged features. It can't be Solidus in Snake Eater, though, because he was created in the '70s, just like the other two Enfants Terribles. Ironically, the reason he looks older than Solid and Liquid is because he was created after they were, meaning Big Boss's genes were that much older at the time of cloning, so the clone's aging process was made that much more accelerated.

Vaan
05-09-2004, 06:20 AM
The Bond-Esque song rules so much.

"I-I'm sti-ill...in a dream...Snake Eata-a!" (trying to simulate the way she actually sings it)

Lindy
05-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Solidus actually looks a lot like Big Boss.

Oh well, maybe it's just that I have trouble seeing the similarities between the artwork of Big Boss, the only way you see him and the in-game images of Solidus.

I still don't see how Solid and Liquid are identical though, reminds me of the jokes about the first game.

Colonel :"Look at the picture, he could be your exact twin"
Snake : "Wow, that pixelated?"

Vaan
05-10-2004, 12:00 AM
Remember, Snakes hair was long like liquids, but he cut it before starting the mission. Their faces look the same too.

Maxico
05-11-2004, 06:03 PM
A few new things I saw in the PSM2 magazine.

Snake appears to be able to grow more facial hair.
Your able to take hostages and shoot while holding them.
A young revolver ocelot will feature.
The "crocodiles" seen in the videos are the indian Gharial. Why is this important? Well they are only found in Bhutan, india, pakistan and napal.

gokufusionss1
05-14-2004, 11:54 AM
just saw the new E3 trailers
seems there is a russian general who controls electricity or something?
a female love intrest?

Spoiler

and i'm not sure but the game seems to be about how and why big boss changed sides.

Maxico
05-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Ok I gathered from the latest issue of PSM2 magazine that the characters include: Snake, Revolver ocelot, a love interest called EVA, Johnny the guard (this HAS to be Johnny sasaki but with the timeframe I dont see how thats possible) And A mysterious character called the end. The magazine also featured some storyboards from the game (scan in attachment) that show revolver ocelot, eva and a mysterious man punching through a barrel.

Az Lionheart
05-14-2004, 09:27 PM
cool^

Shoyku
05-15-2004, 03:32 AM
Johnny is so legendary he can surpass timelines, man. Anyways, there should be a Cyborg Ninja of some sort in this installment like there were in the last two, that would be pretty cool.

one.winged.angel.
11-16-2004, 04:03 AM
i heard that johny's dad was in the game with a picture of him

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-16-2004, 01:56 PM
It has to be Johnny's granddad in MGS3 ('64), because Johnny isn't that old in MGS ('05) and MGS2 ('09).

And this thread is old, so I'm closing it. The game comes out tomorrow, so I don't imagine it'll take long for another one to be made.