PDA

View Full Version : Whats your religon?

Buffy
04-16-2004, 11:31 PM
Im *Cough*Pagan*Cough*But i dont wanna be..I wanna be christne...

Jebus
04-16-2004, 11:33 PM
I'm agnostic, but I follow Buddhist philosophy. (Its not a religion.)

Buffy
04-16-2004, 11:34 PM
But it is kinda fun doing magic...can i belive in God and do magic?

Skogs
04-16-2004, 11:37 PM
I'm an agnostic, but of Catholic descent. My parent had drifted away from the Church by the time I was born, and they always said that my choice of religion was up to me.

Meat Puppet
04-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Closest to Buddhist, althought I'm never really devout.

Dr Unne
04-17-2004, 12:01 AM
Atheist.

m4tt
04-17-2004, 12:03 AM
"Non-practicing Catholic"

Denmark
04-17-2004, 12:05 AM
Apathist.

Erdrick Holmes
04-17-2004, 12:08 AM
Im athiest but Im thinking of looking into Buddihsm or Taoism.

Dingo Jellybean
04-17-2004, 12:12 AM
Born buddhist, current atheist.

Mikztsu
04-17-2004, 12:15 AM
Christian. Evangelical-Lutheran.

Yamaneko
04-17-2004, 12:28 AM
Agnostic.

Casey
04-17-2004, 12:40 AM
Christian. I believe reicarnation is possible.

Linus J
04-17-2004, 12:59 AM
Atheist but born protestant.

Evelia
04-17-2004, 01:48 AM
Agnostic.

Andex
04-17-2004, 02:18 AM
Agnostic.

DMKA
04-17-2004, 02:26 AM
Agnoustic

Aphelion
04-17-2004, 03:06 AM
I don't have a religion. I believe God exists and that's enough for me.

CloudDragon
04-17-2004, 03:07 AM
Practicing Roman Catholic

Trumpet Thief
04-17-2004, 03:09 AM
I am a Christian, but take parts of most religions.

Peegee
04-17-2004, 03:11 AM
I'm the type of athiest who lives his(her) life as if God doesn't exist. I don't really get preoccupied with thoughts about God's conceptual existence.

Kirobaito
04-17-2004, 04:33 AM
Christian (Southern Baptist)

LH
04-17-2004, 04:46 AM
Soft/weak Atheist, meaning that I don't boldly assert that there is no God, but I believe that the default position you should be in is believe in what is proven, and until God is proven, there is no reason to believe.

Agent Proto
04-17-2004, 05:01 AM
I'm Roman Catholic, though I haven't been practicing it lately. Since my dad's been diagnosed with stomach cancer, he wanted us to start going to Church more often, but due to work during the weekend, I'm not really able to do that. :-\

Del Murder
04-17-2004, 07:07 AM
None.

escobert
04-18-2004, 08:56 PM
protestant

Nait
04-18-2004, 09:09 PM
I'm working on one of my own.

Othervise, I'm an agnostic. If someone shows me God, I'll be a Deist and believe he's a senile old fart who can't do squat.

Lindy
04-18-2004, 09:30 PM
I'm <s>agnostic</s> atheistic, but I follow (some) Buddhist philosophy.

*snazz*

gokufusionss1
04-18-2004, 10:30 PM
anglican

Logan
04-18-2004, 10:49 PM
Sort of christian.

Lindy
04-18-2004, 11:13 PM
Sort of christian.
That's a lie and you know it, admit it. Or so you tell me anyway.

Ariel
04-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Christian, baptised in the Uniting Church.

Bahamut2000X
04-19-2004, 12:10 AM
Christian turned Athiest.

Sephiroth2088
04-19-2004, 02:21 AM
Soft/weak Atheist, meaning that I don't boldly assert that there is no God, but I believe that the default position you should be in is believe in what is proven, and until God is proven, there is no reason to believe.

The term for that is agnostic. And yeah that's what I consider myself.

Todie
04-19-2004, 02:28 AM
Born and raised in the Episcopal church (Anglican). I still practice it regularly.

Kami
04-19-2004, 03:34 AM
I'm christian. What else is there to say?

But it is kinda fun doing magic...can i belive in God and do magic?
No.

Christian. I believe reicarnation is possible.
I don't think you're really a christian if you believe in reincarnation. Also... just because you go to church doesn't mean you're a christian.

Kirobaito
04-19-2004, 03:35 AM
Thanks, Kami, I was afraid to say that. I didn't want to insult someone's beliefs or anything. :)

Teek
04-19-2004, 03:36 AM
I am an Athiest. I don't believe in God at all.

Kami
04-19-2004, 03:41 AM
Thanks, Kami, I was afraid to say that. I didn't want to insult someone's beliefs or anything. :)
:confused: Am I a mean person?

Kirobaito
04-19-2004, 03:41 AM
No. You said it a lot nicer than I would have. :)

LH
04-19-2004, 04:43 AM
The term for that is agnostic. And yeah that's what I consider myself.

Here's my 7,050th time correcting this misconception.

Atheism isn't based off of belief, it is simply an absence of belief; 'a-theism' is, literally, 'no-belief'. Saying that I have no belief in God is much, much different than saying that I believe there is no God. Agnostic means 'no-knowledge,' meaning that an agnostic believes that humans cannot know. I don't believe that we cannot ever gain enough knowledge to truly know; I just believe that at this point there isn't any proof in favor of God for me to change my default position of absence of belief into a position of positive belief.

Shlup
04-19-2004, 06:00 AM
I'm Christian, but the kind that goes to a church that teaches us to be respectful and open-minded, not superior and judgemental, as the stereotype seems to go.

Nait
04-19-2004, 07:17 AM
Of course you can be a christian and believe in rebirth, or try to do magic. :) You can pray to various saints, and think that you get reborn after the End of the World (for some quick analogies). Or then, you could discover your christian spirituality by yourself and not in the leash of some old church lead by people who're desperately trying to get people believe for them. *_*

Death Sign
04-19-2004, 10:27 AM
The religon... who cares actually... the only thing I ever believed in where my long past love whit a girl... She died 4 years ago... Car accident... Screw drunk drivers... but where ever she is I hope she is happy... I thinks of her every day... but now I got a new support... Sandra.N. A girl from Sweden... Well Religon... if we talks about death... I think you gets where ya wanna go... After death I meen. I wished I got somewere... or where ever my dear... is! I meen if ya are a unbeliever... wot do ya think of death... I meen a great discustion about death is great for us all I think...! Hope ya believers has something to say about my thoughts!

Buffy
04-19-2004, 11:19 AM
Thats sad

Death Sign
04-19-2004, 11:22 AM
Yeah maybe so... But I know she has it better now... She and her mom... I wish so atleast... they where going to Stockholm when a drunked asshole drove em to death... For me death will be a relief... wot about you? God, Devil or maybe reborned as a bird?

Buffy
04-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Whoa,your deep,But unforintly,i have no clue

Death Sign
04-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Yeah... pretty known for being so at the forums... Well by my "Friends"!

Xander
04-19-2004, 11:32 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss Death Sign, but you should make a new thread about death if you'd like to discuss it, rather than in this topic :) I'm sure lots more people will post then too because they'll see it.

Death Sign
04-19-2004, 11:34 AM
K! Well go on whit the other talking... but just side ways... I would like to add a question for the church believers... Why are you against Gays?!

Buffy
04-19-2004, 11:35 AM
Im not...My friend is gay...But,sometimes it scares me,but its there life

Death Sign
04-19-2004, 11:38 AM
Oh well... there is some other kinds of churchly believers too right... I think ya are cool... and it seems ya stands for wot ya say!

Citizen Bleys
04-19-2004, 01:31 PM
Taoist. Pretty close to the Western Reform Taoist Congregation, actually, except that I do believe in karma (it seems pretty self evident that if yin and yang are, karma or something very similar should come as a result of that balance)

Then again, trying to come up with a list of "rules" for Taoists is a lot like trying to nail Jell-o to the wall.

Misfit
04-19-2004, 01:36 PM

Atheism isn't based off of belief, it is simply an absence of belief; 'a-theism' is, literally, 'no-belief'. Saying that I have no belief in God is much, much different than saying that I believe there is no God. Agnostic means 'no-knowledge,' meaning that an agnostic believes that humans cannot know. I don't believe that we cannot ever gain enough knowledge to truly know; I just believe that at this point there isn't any proof in favor of God for me to change my default position of absence of belief into a position of positive belief.
Kind of like... what he said. Yes.

Xander
04-19-2004, 01:56 PM
I'm not homophobic, or racist, and I mostly believe the bible is a load of crap, and hypocritical. I say sort of christian, because I believe there is a god, just not one that discriminates and sends gay people to hell or some stupid crap.

I'd say this pretty much sums up me too. So I don't really label myself anything, I have my own beliefs and ideas and don't need to follow anything to know who I am.

Iceglow
04-19-2004, 04:01 PM
in the end I suppose I'll find out if god exists or not (if he does I'll be going down too many of the mortal sins in my past already) but I was born in to a christian family yet I am agreeing with xander and winged sorceress I am not atheist or truly agnostic but I don't believe a single word of the bible really

Brian The Pink Shark
04-19-2004, 04:13 PM
i'm christian but i don't go to church, but i still stick to the rules :choc:

escobert
04-19-2004, 04:23 PM
K! Well go on whit the other talking... but just side ways... I would like to add a question for the church believers... Why are you against Gays?!

I'm not against gays I have several gay friends.

Sephex
04-19-2004, 05:21 PM
I have my own beliefs on things. They don't follow anything, so I am nothing.

Sephiroth2088
04-19-2004, 08:50 PM

Ok sorry about that. So well with that I suppose I fit in the atheism catagory. Just one question though, if atheism is not saying there is no God, than what is?

Ryoko Masaki
04-19-2004, 08:57 PM
i believe in realism :)
There's a twisted word for that and that's: Satanism
and that doesn't mean i believe in Satan..i just believe in the here and now
What i see or feel i believe that.

Psychotic
04-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Fill in the blanks:

Bored _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ of The World.

Todie
04-19-2004, 09:58 PM
I'm not against gays I have several gay friends.
Ditto. I too have many friends that are gay and I don't have a that much of a problem with it.

Shlup
04-19-2004, 11:36 PM
I go to a Christian church and I'm not against gays. Our church leaders teach that, yes, the Bible clearly states that being openly gay is a sin, but so is judging your peers and gossiping, and the Bible says all sins are equal.

i believe in realism :)
There's a twisted word for that and that's: Satanism
and that doesn't mean i believe in Satan..i just believe in the here and now
What i see or feel i believe that.I studied the Church of Satan briefly. It was interesting, and not horrible. What I mostly learned about it is that its just about living mostly for yourself and none of the "turn the other cheek" stuff that most churches teach.

Strider
04-19-2004, 11:41 PM
"Non-practicing Catholic"

What Matt said.

LH
04-19-2004, 11:42 PM
Just one question though, if atheism is not saying there is no God, than what is?

My personal opinion is that there are two ways to be Atheist. At its simplest form, Atheism is "no belief," so simply, if you have no belief in God, you're Atheist in some form. One way to do it is the way I do, and that is simply not believing that the stories about God are necessarily true. Another way is to categorically claim that there is no God, but this standpoint requires as much faith as belief in God does, so anyone who believes this really has no way to defend such a view. I think you should check out articles on infidels.org for more info, including the message board there because they're full of info. :)

Ryoko Masaki
04-20-2004, 12:02 AM
I go to a Christian church and I'm not against gays. Our church leaders teach that, yes, the Bible clearly states that being openly gay is a sin, but so is judging your peers and gossiping, and the Bible says all sins are equal.
I studied the Church of Satan briefly. It was interesting, and not horrible. What I mostly learned about it is that its just about living mostly for yourself and none of the "turn the other cheek" stuff that most churches teach.

yea..people always think that Satanism is a bad thing but it's not
the curch tells people that it's bad and that you to believe in god while giving money to curch.
an other wat's ugging is...as i can remember..
The curch said: "We don't need money"
if they don't need money then how come they those huge and expensive curches whit those "colored" glass in it.

ZeZipster
04-20-2004, 12:27 AM
Agnostic

Montoya
04-20-2004, 12:48 AM
I'm Roman Catholic.

SeeDRankLou
04-20-2004, 01:04 AM
Why are you against Gays?!

The King James Version of the Bible "states" that being gay is a sin. I say "states" because it doesn't actually state this. Most people will find a verse in the Bible and take it out of context to mean something that it doesn't. There are also some instances where language translation is a factor. The Bible was originally written in I think Ancient Aramaic (sp?). It was translated several times before being translated into English, and many many words have been slightly altered in this process, but slightly altering a word can change a sentence's meaning dramatically, which is what has happened to many verses in the Bible. And, one might find it interesting to read the proclamation made by King James (insert correct Roman numeral) when he ordered the church to translate the Bible to English. You might read several things about making it sound more poetic or changing certain contents to fit his liking, ect. ect. So the King James Version of the Bible is alter quite significantly from it's original text. Anyway....

I am not of a religion. My take on god(s,ess) is that I accept it as a possibility that god exists because there is nothing to really prove or disprove this notion. I accept it as possbile, but not probable, as there is just not much evidence to support this. Prove god exists, and I'll believe in god without question, but until anything is proven about anything I really don't believe anything. Fayth (...mmm, I mean faith, too much FFX-2) is something I can really have. I ask why far too much, there really aren't enough answers in any religion for me.

GrimmReaper
04-20-2004, 01:08 AM
Call me atheist for all i care. I have no preference, and I only believe in such a possibility of god, because in all practicalities, I only believe that if there were such a god, it would only be so limited as being so, instead of being infinite; like just about any other religion claims that it is.

I believe that there is infact, marginal differences between knowledge of substantial form, and beliefs, too the fact that beliefs are something determined, whereas facts, and mathematics are predetermined from a core knowledge based on the idea of 'beliefs'. So I tell each and everyone of you, that You can never be sure of anything you know, or at the least, think you know; because perpetually, it is wrong, because all you can be sure of is what you know you know; which is derived from a certain belief.

that is my religion.

SeeDRankLou
04-20-2004, 01:11 AM
How excessively existentialist (or whatever the right adjective that for that is). That was awesome.

Polaris
05-06-2004, 04:34 PM
Half orthodox, half budist (this is not a religion!!!!)

frr_vegeta
05-06-2004, 04:59 PM
This is an old thread....But I might as well reply in it since it was stirred up by Mydreamsalready.

My religion is science.

Ichy
05-06-2004, 05:02 PM
My parents baptised me Catholic when I was very small, although we never set foot in a church. I was always interested in religious affairs from afar, even at a young age. After studying them and seeing what was going on in the world, realising that I had no feeling of a "god" or a "spirit" with me I formally announced my acceptance of the lifestyle associated with the modern Church of Satan, having realised that I had been living it since birth. At twelve years old, when my parents clued me in that they had baptised me without my consent, I promptly threw up at the thought (no joke), I signed and submitted an official form of apostacy, and mailed it off to the Canadian Offices of the Arch Diocese of the Roman Catholic Church.

I'm 26 now. I'm not affiliated with any religious organisation. I don't believe in hopes or prayers, I believe in action. I don't believe in a man made anthropomorphic presence, I believe in myself. I don't believe in leniency towards those who accost you, I believe in educating them in tandem with their own offenses. I don't believe in restricting myself from the things that make me feel good, I believe in consumption and appreciation of all things that give me pleasure. I believe that life itself is the most sacred of all things and the only way to truly do it proper respect is to experience it from as many angles as concievably possible within the limits of your own personal sense of comfort, not by following an ancient set of rules based on control and discomfort.

I am a modern day Satanist, called only Satan by and for the Christian faith for being it's complete opposite. I am *not* a devil worshipper, I am a self-worshipper indulging in whatever path I choose to lead my life through. I do not have rituals, I do not attend black masses. I *am* nice to people if I respect them and I *do not* go around bashing other people's beliefs just because I feel that mine are better for myself. Having whatever faith you choose to help you better understand your own existance is a human freedon that I have neither the right nor desire to take from you.

Rainecloud
05-06-2004, 05:17 PM
I'm a Christian - one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

I was brought up in my faith.

The Captain
05-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Lapsed Catholic, now non affiliated.

Take care all.

Doomgaze
05-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Brought up Catholic, sort of Agnostic, but thinking about trying Bleys' Jell-O thing.

Lord Xehanort
05-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Born a bastard.
Baptised as a Roman Catholic.
Found out that the Bible contradicts itself frequently.
A priest told me that all bastards go to Hell.
A 'friend' told me that all people who aren't heterosexual go to Hell.
I am now Non-Denominational.

~Ansem~

PS... I recently realized that Jesus was a bastard too, and God created all people in his image... even bisexuals. Apparently, God is confused of his sexual orientation. Plus, I refuse to place my faith in something hypocritical.

Leeza
05-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Well I thought that I was either Atheist or Agnostic, but I could be Satanist.

Yamaneko
05-07-2004, 01:44 AM
I think rather than dividing into senseless factions we should all hug one another every once in a while. :)

escobert
05-07-2004, 02:00 AM
No hugging is against my religon.

Leeza
05-07-2004, 02:02 AM
I think rather than dividing into senseless factions we should all hug one another every once in a while. :)
*hugs everyone - even Bert* :)

LH
05-07-2004, 05:52 AM

How sweet. :love:

frr_vegeta
05-07-2004, 06:06 AM
*hugs everyone - even Bert* :)
Aww, how sweet, you've held a spot in hell for Bert. *hugs back*

Rusty
05-07-2004, 07:58 AM
Christian :D

War Angel
05-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Jewish non-believer.

golden_queen_mercury
05-07-2004, 02:10 PM
Catholic, but I do believe that reincarnation is possible.

Vaan
05-10-2004, 09:29 AM
How could you call Jesus a bastard, Ansem? :cry:

Lord Xehanort
05-10-2004, 09:03 PM
Mary and Joseph weren't married when he was born.

War Angel
05-10-2004, 11:34 PM
Mary and Joseph weren't married when he was born.
That doesn't make him a bastard-child. A bastard is a child, born to a woman already married, from the sperm of another man. Since Miriam and Yossef weren't married... Miriam didn't give birth to a bastard-child, even though it wasn't Yossef's seed who got her pregnant.

Dr Unne
05-11-2004, 03:59 AM
Depends how you define "bastard". The dictionary definition is "A child born outside wedlock", or "A child born to two people who aren't married to each other". The marital status of the parents doesn't really matter, just that they aren't married to each other. They could both be single, or both be married to someone other than each other, etc.

So now you have the question of whether Mary was married to whoever/whatever fathered Jesus, i.e. was Mary married to God? The question almost makes no sense, since God can only be said to be the father of Jesus using a very non-standard definition of "father". I'd hesitate to use the word "bastard" to refer to Jesus. I'd say that Jesus had no real "father".

Peegee
05-11-2004, 04:11 AM
That's an...interesting claim (that Jesus is a bastard).

I realised that when I was reading the list of faiths, I have absolutely no idea what actual faith the 'Christians' are. Are you Catholic, Baptist, Anglican, Presbyterian, Methodist, or what? Don't get me started with Protestant either. What church are you pls?

:D

Kirobaito
05-11-2004, 04:19 AM
Catholics and Protestants are both Christians. We believe that Christ was divine and was sent to Earth from God to die for us.

More specifically, the Protestants believe that all denominations of Christianity (Catholic, Baptist, Anglican, Presbyterian, Methodist, etc.) will go to Heaven. The Catholics probably believe this, too, but not being Catholic, I am not sure. However, we choose to practice our religion in different ways, a less formal one than Catholics do. We believe in the emotional, rather than the traditional form, of religion. Does that make sense? We don't believe that any man, such as a priest, is inherently closer to God than anyone else; that's why we don't have such things as that. We have deacons, who lead the Church, but those are very different from priests and bishops. I hope I solved your problem. I'm Baptist, so this is from my point of view.

Doomgaze
05-11-2004, 06:36 AM
James 2:14-26
What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? Can faith save him?
If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Besimudo
05-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Roman Catholic.

Interesting points:

- Satanism was described as epicurean.

- Some believed that science was a religion... fallacy, science is empirical philosophy.

- Christians don't hate Gay people; it is just that God instructed his creations to produce in their own kind... Credit money (usury) is unnatural and so is homosexuality. Humans ultimately make the choice out of free will (even if gayness has root in genetic mutation)... simple, remain celibate! Gayness is just another temptation of sin, which is pretty rudimentary stuff, not exactly a great contradiction by any means.

- As for those who believe that God is yet to be proven, may I recommend Descartes?

- Doomgaze is not very fond of the reformation.

SeeDRankLou
05-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Christians don't hate Gay people; it is just that God instructed his creations to produce in their own kind... Credit money (usury) is unnatural and so is homosexuality. Humans ultimately make the choice out of free will (even if gayness has root in genetic mutation)... simple, remain celibate! Gayness is just another temptation of sin, which is pretty rudimentary stuff, not exactly a great contradiction by any means.

Completely and entirely incorrect. First, gay people can procreate and still be gay as long as there's a man and a woman present. And a lot of straight people don't procreate, they wouldn't be considered sinners. Second, human do not make a concious decision on which sex they will be attracted to. Humans don't sit down one day and way out the pros and cons of being gay or straight. Humans feel physical attraction before they can comprehend what physical attraction is. That makes the sensation innate, and thus natural. Third, Christians hate/loathe gay people(well not all, but many), that's not to say God hates gay people.

Ran Ciel
05-11-2004, 10:14 AM
This is what I thought this thread would develop into. Shouldn't it be in a different section of the forum?

Anyhow, I'll bite. I'm not religious or any religion persay, but I am spiritual and philosophical. I'll incorporate parts and portions of what I like into my own beliefs. Some of my favorite philosophies are Daoism and Deism, with a dash of Paganism and Buddhism thrown in.

::shrugs and shakes his head:: So much argument over personal beliefs.

Dante
05-11-2004, 12:36 PM
I was baptized as Catholic when I was around 14, so I had the benefit of going to classes and learning about the religion before devoting myself to it. After taking classes, learning all I could about it, I decided to go through with it. But a year or so later, I decided on my own it just wasn't for me. So now, although I would love to believe, I'm Atheist.

Doomgaze
05-11-2004, 06:20 PM
And you see how Besimudo pushes away one bible quote, because it is inconvenient to his beliefs, while int he same breath insisting the Bible says homosexuality is wrong?

This is how Christians work.

SeeDRankLou
05-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Amen :-P

Peegee
05-11-2004, 07:09 PM
There are probably scripture references that say that as long as you believe in God, you will be saved. Actually Jen's journal speaks of one, where it says that as long as you do not ill-speak of the Holy Spirit you can still be saved.

So it's not absolutely necessary that you have faith and acts :D

Doomgaze
05-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Yes, I believe Peter says that.

Breine
05-11-2004, 07:33 PM
I used to be a Christian, but I realized I didn't believe in the stuff... so now I'm an atheist. It's really weird, though. Everytime I tell somebody that I'm an atheist they always ask: "Why?". It bothers me, like they have something against atheists. I'm a non-believer, but still I don't criticise their religion!

Bernhard
05-11-2004, 07:50 PM
- As for those who believe that God is yet to be proven, may I recommend Descartes?
I've read Descartes, including Meditation III. His "proof" never brought me closer to accept the existence of God, and I honestly think of it as a bit laughable.

Peegee
05-11-2004, 07:54 PM
The funny thing is that in his introduction he claims to know what circular reasoning means :o

War Angel
05-11-2004, 07:55 PM
God doesn't exist, because I said so.

Peegee
05-11-2004, 07:58 PM
speaking of circular reasoning...:p

LH
05-11-2004, 08:05 PM
Everytime I tell somebody that I'm an atheist they always ask: "Why?".

Hah, you should be asking them why they feel enlightened enough to make such an assertation about something as hard to figure out as God's existence.

As for those who believe that God is yet to be proven, may I recommend Descartes?

Descartes is far from proving the existence of a God.

Peegee
05-11-2004, 08:24 PM
I'm a little rusty on his proof, but didn't he claim that we inherently had no ability to know, and then from that point of thinking try to justify that God gives us our ability to know? Where the heck did God come from anyway?

Where did that step come from? I have yet to truly grasp that.

Proofs of God are very odd at best. Though I tend to believe that Aquinas' assertion that God must've started the flow of causality to be the closest to plausible. Even science is starting to go that route, though empirically God can't be found.

Breine
05-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Hah, you should be asking them why they feel enlightened enough to make such an assertation about something as hard to figure out as God's existence.

Hehe, Yeah... I guess I should :)

Besimudo
05-12-2004, 12:14 AM
Sorry Doom gaze... when a Christian "hates", they commit the sin of Judgement. It seems that many here cannot distinguish between the God head and his followers.

"Humans feel physical attraction before they can comprehend what physical attraction is. That makes the sensation innate, and thus natural."

Simple! Be celibate then.

"Descartes is far from proving the existence of a God."

Well it is better than conforming to the works and predecessors of modernist Erich Von Daniken. Such people have no idea about the universe or its pattern, without mention that they have no proof of aliens.

Bandgeek
05-12-2004, 01:48 AM
Jewish Pride!!

LH
05-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Well it is better than conforming to the works and predecessors of modernist Erich Von Daniken.

Haha, you have a point there. I've read a few of his books and they're really funny more than anything.

Bernhard
05-13-2004, 10:04 AM
"Descartes is far from proving the existence of a God."

Well it is better than conforming to the works and predecessors of modernist Erich Von Daniken.
The fact that something else is even worse does not make Descartes' proof any better.

Nemesis the Warlock
05-13-2004, 10:43 AM
You should read "Ethics" by Baruch Spinoza. His proof of God's existence is pretty good.

I'm Roman Catholic. I don't go to church on a regular basis, because I'm very lazy.