PDA

View Full Version : Red hair = how?

Peegee
04-17-2004, 10:20 AM
I want to know how humans get 'red' hair. I mean naturally. What..um...originating country/culture does the gene come from?

Shlup
04-17-2004, 10:40 AM
Irish people have red hair. They also drink and fight a lot. Geez, aren't you up on your stereotypes, PG?

Mikztsu
04-17-2004, 10:52 AM
My little brother and mom has red hair. I think they are witches and should be burned. :)

Strider
04-17-2004, 11:07 AM
THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH IRISH PEOPLE.

Peegee
04-17-2004, 12:13 PM
Don't the scottish also have red hair? Irish people are anything from blonde to brown hair from my limited memory.

And yes, I seriously don't know the answer to this question. Sorry for not being as racist as I can be *salutes* /sarc

Ifrit's Bodyguard
04-17-2004, 01:17 PM
I'm Scottish with red hair, but thats about all I know on the subject!

Rostum
04-17-2004, 01:25 PM
My family is Scottish and a little Irish, and no one has red hair... weird I know. But yeah, I would consider more Irish, Scottish and English people to have red hair than anywhere else, defenatly not China or Japan... *sniggers*

DocFrance
04-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Actually, all human beings have red hair. But there are many different shades of red, and most of those tend to be very dark or very light.

Iceglow
04-17-2004, 03:12 PM
Red hair genes come from us celts yes the Scottish, Irish, Welsh and even the English mainly but it can also occur as a freak event but I believe it was England and theres many a shade as we brits call them:

Carrot
Ginger
Auburn
and Oh S**t thats really red!

edczxcvbnm
04-17-2004, 03:57 PM
I am Irish with red hair!! *takes a shot of whisky* YOU WANNA FIGHT ABOUT IT?

fire_of_avalon
04-17-2004, 05:12 PM
As far as I remember, the Irish had very little red hair amongst them until the Scottish started immigrating. The scots are better known for the red, and alot of Americans with red hair are of Scots-Irish descent, like me. But my hair is dirty blonde. My sister is a red head though.

Mikztsu
04-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Heh, I still call my little brother "a carrot" or "carrothead" sometimes. :)

gokufusionss1
04-17-2004, 07:28 PM
It's vikings!!!!!!!!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Very dark red hair is a Japanese trait.

Rye
04-17-2004, 09:32 PM
I believe the scottish have the gene like everyone else said. I always liked red hair... :)

Nait
04-17-2004, 09:48 PM
Come to think of it, when you think of ancient Celtic heroes, you think red hair, tartan togas, woad, and people changing into swans or being chained to rocks cause they are terrific fighters.

Lindy
04-17-2004, 09:58 PM
Isn't it ginger hair, and not red?

Scottish clansmen and fighters with ginger hair...

Then again, when you say it like that, the heroism fades somewhat, doesn't it?

Mikztsu
04-17-2004, 10:19 PM
No Lindz, it doesn't. Just think of Conan O'brien.

Misfit
04-17-2004, 10:21 PM
RED KOOLAID!

Mikztsu
04-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Strawberries and red candy bears. *n.n*

Leeza
04-17-2004, 10:38 PM
I think that it all started with the Russians...really. :)

Peegee
04-17-2004, 11:05 PM
Russians have red hair too? *head spins*

Lindy
04-17-2004, 11:07 PM
I think that it all started with the Russians...really. :)
Stop blaming the Russians, the poor Russians get enough flak already.

Leeza
04-17-2004, 11:17 PM
I am Russian, Lindz. :) I have cousins with red hair as well a sister-in-law. They're all Russian.

Kirobaito
04-17-2004, 11:35 PM
I'm Scottish, and no one in my family has red hair. But I imagine the Irish being carrot-topped.

Psychotic
04-18-2004, 12:02 AM
Personally I blame the Slovenians. And the Irish. But mainly the Slovenians.

Mikztsu
04-18-2004, 12:06 AM
It's always fun to blame Russians for everything. Especially Leeza. :)

DMKA
04-18-2004, 12:57 AM
My family is Scottish and a little Irish, and no one has red hair... weird I know. But yeah, I would consider more Irish, Scottish and English people to have red hair than anywhere else, defenatly not China or Japan... *sniggers*
Actually a significant percentage of the population in both China and Japan have red hair, its just not that bright bright red that the stereotype of a scottsmen always has while hes playing his bagpipes out on his hill with all the sheep. ;)

Iceglow
04-19-2004, 02:26 PM
you muppet the welsh have the sheep the scotish man has his oxen or "Haggis" as I used to call them the big long haired ones with his bagpipes on the mountain side...geez some people no brains really why do you think we reffer to the welsh as sheep sh*****s in the UK?

Misfit
04-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Strawberries and red candy bears. *n.n*
Mik wins! :D

Brian The Pink Shark
04-19-2004, 04:06 PM
I inherited it, it's either scottish or Irish :choc:

escobert
04-19-2004, 04:35 PM
I'm English/Irish and no red hair. I don't think anyone in my family has had red hair mostly just blonde/light brown.

Iceglow
04-19-2004, 04:43 PM
see you also have to have the genes in your family remember high school biology with the genetic chromosomes and stuff like how if it's XX one result occurs and if the result is XY then another (I cant fully remember but thats the male and female determining one right?) well you have dominant and reccessives called something in french cant remember alle something well the one for red hair is always, always, always the reccessive so ever wonder if both your parents are brunettes or blondes or black haired and your red haired look to your granparents seeing as one of them from each side of the family will be red haired back to the X and Y explanation:

in this X = any colour but red Y = Red

result one - XX - no red

Result two - XY - not red but the gene is there their kid could be red haired

Result three - YX - same as above but other way round still not red

Result four - YY - Red haired person

to be red haired both of your parents or grand parents need to be carrying the Red hair gene.

Sephex
04-19-2004, 05:18 PM
All this talk about cool hair, and now I feel I am inferior with my normal dark brown hair. :(

Iceglow
04-19-2004, 05:30 PM
ahh see red hair on women is VERY NICE!!! :love: (I have a fetish for redhaired girls especially with a scotish accent and the paler the skin the better) whereas red hair on a guy is nowhere near as attractive lucky for me I take after my mother and not my dad seeing as he was strawberry coloured I give of the whole dark brooding feel apparently

eestlinc
04-19-2004, 06:43 PM
my facial hair is sorta red

Iceglow
04-19-2004, 06:53 PM
nope I'm pale as a ghost with dark brown hair and black facial and brown eyes so I definitely did not take after my Father also he was short and rotund (a little word I remembered for fat) and I'm taller than all of my relatives even my grand mother on my moms side who I never met (died when my mom was little) who was the tallest person in living memory in my family so I'm just the freak as I get referred to by my big brother untill I stand up :D

Polaris
04-21-2004, 02:58 PM
I have red hair!!!!

It's natural, a cousin of my mother had it....

Unfortunatly she was arrested, u know drugs....

I'm really sad that I never met her...

I'm so pretty!! I'm kiddin'!!!!!

edczxcvbnm
04-21-2004, 08:06 PM
All this talk about cool hair, and now I feel I am inferior with my normal dark brown hair. :(

Thats right you scum! You are inferior!

Meat Puppet
04-21-2004, 08:21 PM
What about that fat morange kid down the road with the black dad and asian mother?

Lindy
04-21-2004, 08:42 PM
see you also have to have the genes in your family remember high school biology with the genetic chromosomes and stuff like how if it's XX one result occurs and if the result is XY then another (I cant fully remember but thats the male and female determining one right?) well you have dominant and reccessives called something in french cant remember alle something well the one for red hair is always, always, always the reccessive so ever wonder if both your parents are brunettes or blondes or black haired and your red haired look to your granparents seeing as one of them from each side of the family will be red haired back to the X and Y explanation:

in this X = any colour but red Y = Red

result one - XX - no red

Result two - XY - not red but the gene is there their kid could be red haired

Result three - YX - same as above but other way round still not red

Result four - YY - Red haired person

to be red haired both of your parents or grand parents need to be carrying the Red hair gene.

Umn, no.

It's Blonde + Black hair that leads to red haired kids most often.

Don't overcomplicate it, hair colour has nothing to do with the sex chromosome, and I do A-Level Biology so we had a whole module on this stuff.

Project G
04-22-2004, 07:37 PM
You'd better not dis' Red heads, or "I'll bring you down baby, I'll bring you down to Chinatown!!!!" hee hee

Peegee
04-22-2004, 09:22 PM
omfg is it possible to have red facial hair?!?!@4?>!@$@!

I want pics, even of of other ppl!