PDA

View Full Version : Some install programs are not running

Peegee
04-17-2004, 12:05 PM
Recently, I tried to download and install isobuster. No matter what version I downloaded, it would not install on my computer. The cursor would change to the 'busy' cursor, then change back to the cursor. I checked task manager and saw that the file runs for a split second and then shuts down (disappears). I am running WinXP (as if you didn't know that by now).

I tried rebooting to safe mode. The same thing happened. Just now I downloaded peer guardian and got the same problem. Help pls.

Baloki
04-17-2004, 12:51 PM
I have had this problem and you have to use a program called the Program Compatability Wizard. Its somewhere in the start menu, depending on your version.

Run this, then browse for the program and set it to 98/me compatibility and then make sure you turn off the visual effects (should be a check box at some point through the wizard).

Then restart and it should work, if it doesn't then I don't know, sorry.

Dr Unne
04-17-2004, 05:50 PM
Reinstall Windows.

Baloki
04-17-2004, 06:15 PM
Reinstall Windows.

Ignore this showshine boy I say, for once in like forever he does not know best, and I mean forever!

crono_logical
04-17-2004, 06:21 PM
Face it, it's the easiest solution though :p

Do you even know what type of installer it's trying to use e.g. Install Shield, or a weird .msi one, or somthing else?

Baloki
04-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Have you ever tried formating Windows XP?

I think you would find its much easier doing everything else first. :tongue:

crono_logical
04-17-2004, 07:48 PM
Yes, and installing XP is much faster than any other Windows I've tried - installs in around half an hour on my machine instead of like 90 minutes or something :p The hard/boring/long bit is reinstalling everything else and getting the computer set up right again, but that's not part of installing Windows :p

Baloki
04-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Yes, and installing XP is much faster than any other Windows I've tried - installs in around half an hour on my machine instead of like 90 minutes or something :p The hard/boring/long bit is reinstalling everything else and getting the computer set up right again, but that's not part of installing Windows :p

*Did not say install, he said format as its an incrypted file system by default making it v. hard to format*

crono_logical
04-17-2004, 07:58 PM
Nonsense, encryption doesn't make something hard to format. Since you're gonna lose all the data anyway, you might as well delete then recreate the partition, and format/initialize the new one. The installation can take care of all that for you, so it remains just as easy.

It'd be hard if you wanted to recover all your data first though, of course, but that'll be your fault for encrypting everything and not keeping a recovery disk of some sort to recover such data if you needed to reformat - normal unencrypted NTFS can even be read by linux all fine :p In this particular case though, even though his system might possibly be encrypted, Windows is still running so he can burn it all to CD as per normal then format.

Baloki
04-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Not what I meant and you know it!!!!

crono_logical
04-17-2004, 08:25 PM
I don't know what you mean then, please expand :p

If you meant trying to format XP with XP running, then that's just being silly :p

Baloki
04-17-2004, 08:49 PM
I don't know what you mean then, please expand :p

If you meant trying to format XP with XP running, then that's just being silly :p

*Has already lost in Chat, stop rubbing it in :(*

crono_logical
04-17-2004, 08:51 PM
I posted that before typing in chat :p

Baloki
04-17-2004, 08:58 PM
I posted that before typing in chat :p

I will beat you next time

Peegee
04-18-2004, 01:42 AM
Program compatibility wizard didn't help. I tried all the emulators (running it like a 95, 98, 2k, none), and it didn't work. What's this about reinstalling windows? It sounds tiresome and feasible. I'll try that *grumbles*

edit: it's this 'blackbox' skinned shell. It won't run certain executables, and I have to unload it. Heh, I just wasted three hours of my life.

Baloki
04-18-2004, 11:06 AM
Program compatibility wizard didn't help. I tried all the emulators (running it like a 95, 98, 2k, none), and it didn't work. What's this about reinstalling windows? It sounds tiresome and feasible. I'll try that *grumbles*

edit: it's this 'blackbox' skinned shell. It won't run certain executables, and I have to unload it. Heh, I just wasted three hours of my life.

Didn't I mention that? I'm sure I did by saying turn off the thingie features, it shows you that you need to understand gibberish *nods*

Dr Unne
04-18-2004, 05:35 PM
<i>edit: it's this 'blackbox' skinned shell. It won't run certain executables, and I have to unload it. Heh, I just wasted three hours of my life.</i> --PG

That's what you get. :mad2: Use the real thing.

Peegee
04-19-2004, 02:17 AM
I'VE TRIED SAYING THIS A MILLION TIMES! LINUX WON'T INSTALL

Dr Unne
04-19-2004, 04:18 AM
It will if you do it right.