PDA

View Full Version : Oh, that pesky insomnia

Bernhard
04-17-2004, 01:01 PM
At fora such as this, someone might make a comment that they later see has backfired. They notice that a lot of people criticised and questioned his/her opinion. And when that happens, there's very often one thing that comes up. It usually goes something like this: "I was really tired when I wrote that", or maybe a variation such as "I haven't slept for a long time so..".

I'm sorry, I didn't know that a lack of sleep suddenly made your opinions very controversial and, in some instances, plain dumb (mind the difference). Maybe it's just another inconvenient side-effect of insomnia or just staying up late. But to me, it just seems like a convenient excuse when someone doesn't want to stand up and defend their views after being caught off guard by the criticism. Thus, they try to compromise by saying that what they wrote was not what they meant. Nu-uh, not at all, not when I'm tired. I can't keep track of all the times I've experienced this.

But maybe there's something to it? Maybe it's a valid reason. If it is, why don't you wait until you don't need toothpicks to keep your eyelids open. Get off the computer, go to bed and post it in the morning.

Have you noticed this? What's your take on it? Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

(On a related note, I'm wide awake :aimdumb: )

Skogs
04-17-2004, 01:59 PM
I disagree. When people are tired - they may genuinely not think a train of thought through before they mouth off. It's easily done.

Bernhard
04-17-2004, 02:26 PM
OK. But there's a difference between "mouthing off" as one very easily might do IRL and typing it down and posting it. It's not as easily done: "Whoops, I accidentally made a post".

I understand what you mean though. Just my take on it.

Mr. Graves
04-17-2004, 02:34 PM
It's just because they can't think of anything else to say about it, so they make up an excuse. Stirring up controversy isn't everyone's forte, and not everyone enjoys doing it. Either that, or they didn't mean to start controversy and their post(s) were taken the wrong way, and instead of pointing out in great detail why, they cop out and use a weak excuse instead. *shrug*

Erdrick Holmes
04-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Oh beleive me, insomnia will make you litterally insane. I had insomnia that lasted almost one whole summer (I ended up staying awake all night and passing out during the daytime without realizing it.) Heres what I did, try staying awake for two whole days (do something to keep you occupied, like play a video game or something) and at about noon on the third day go to bed at about 3 pm. You'll wake up at about 9am the next day.

fire_of_avalon
04-17-2004, 05:04 PM
*shrug* Some people make meaner posts than they normally would because they're tired and irritable. And some people don't think as clearly when they're tired and irritable, so their ideas don't translate as clearly. And some people look for excuses and "I'm tired" is right there waiting to be snatched.