PDA

View Full Version : the butterfly effect question!

Iceglow
04-17-2004, 02:56 PM
If like the film the butterfly effect you could change a time in your life that was very stressful for you but there was only one time you could do it what would you choose to change to make your life better or different?

I've asked the question so I'll answer first...

I'd go back to the night I made a move on my best friend and not make that move no matter how much I feel for her it would've been better if we'd never gone out.

Mr. Graves
04-17-2004, 02:57 PM
All the times in unintentionally made an ass of myself, or made a vital mistake.

fire_of_avalon
04-17-2004, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't change anything. Everything I've done thus far molded me to be who I am, and I like me. Yay me!

Del Murder
04-17-2004, 05:32 PM
I would do nothing. Most of the people I know or have met are in good spirits and lead happy lives and I wouldn't want to jeopardize that for selfish reasons.

Loony BoB
04-17-2004, 05:36 PM
I wouldn't change anything. Everything I've done thus far molded me to be who I am, and I like me. Yay me!
Amen. Also, if you change one thing, your entire life can change... and I don't want to run the risk of having the other way turn out even worse. It's better to learn from your past and make things better / resolve any problems from the past. You don't make problems disappear - you fix them.

Casey
04-17-2004, 05:40 PM
I would never change anything, only reason Id go back is if someone I loved died, Id go back so they would be alive.

Svartalv
04-18-2004, 03:38 AM
I would have filled out the last lotto numbers differently...

Other than that, nothing. I really like how my life has turned out so far.

Meow
04-18-2004, 04:21 AM
Okay, time travel is so purely theoretical as to almost be junk physics, but bear with me. A person sent back in time would in all likelihood experience a very different future than the one from which he left, and not just because small changes might have unforseeable consequences. Quantum mechanics rely heavily on probability, so if the universe somehow reversed and reinitated any event, it could well turn out differently. And since any future event will be contingent on previous events, it's obvious how quickly things would take a different direction even concering one single thread of quantum interaction. That's not even to mention that there are countless, <i>coooooountless</i> (incomprehensively huge, even within your own body) numbers of quantum events and collisions and adjustments every second, all of which add up to the physical universe.

So i wouldn't go back in time, i don't think.

Peegee
04-18-2004, 05:25 AM
Yes but this is all in jest. I would go back in time and tell myself to stop slacking off.

PeTeRL90
04-18-2004, 05:30 AM
I'd go back in time and probably try to live out my freshman and sophomore years of high school differently.

Those two years were a living hell for me, and I'd like to change that.

Meow
04-18-2004, 09:21 AM
Okay, then i'd give my past self a phone call and tell me to get the Passat. It gets great mileage, i hear.