PDA

View Full Version : Of minor interest to FF8 fans....

DJZen
04-19-2004, 05:03 AM
It turns out that Squall's Renzokuken limit break actually derives its name from a mostly forgotten martial art. The word can be litteraly translated as either "continuous fist fighting" or "continuous sword fighting" which explains why Squall's limit is a huge seires of attacks. You can read more about it along with an interview with one of its practitioners in the issue of Black Belt magazine currently available in newstands.

Unfortunately for martial arts fans, it doesn't appear to offer anything terribly unique.

Rusty
04-19-2004, 06:40 AM
Your right...it is of minor interest...and what you stated is kinds obvious...we all know he uses a giunblade..so his limit break would have to be something of long continuous sword fighting or in squall case "gunblade fighting" :P

DJZen
04-20-2004, 04:29 AM
Actually I mentioned that to explain why an empty handed martial art would share the name of Squall's limit break, so :tongue: back at ya.

celtcknight
04-20-2004, 04:49 AM
How about Zantetsuken?

I found out that the conji (im sure its spelled wrong) that flashes on the screen during Zantetsuken is: SLICE STEEL SWORD

and I think that Zantetsuken was simply "Horse attack" That might be wrong though.

DJZen
04-20-2004, 05:09 AM
The translations I heard for Zantetsuken were "steel edged sword" or "steel cutting sword" IIRC. What does this have to do with Renzokuken? :confused:

celtcknight
04-20-2004, 05:52 AM
Theyre both what... japanese commands/moves used on FFVIII. Since people are discussing the definition of Renzokuken, minds as well bring in the other japanese lingo on the game... to spark some more discussion than restricting the thread to one word or phrase. :eep:

Also
"Steel Cutting Sword" is the same as "Slice Steel Sword" you know how different languages have different ordered sentences, nouns before adjectives...etc. One of our definitions might be a more literal translation.

DJZen
04-22-2004, 06:08 AM
The reason I'd like to keep it "restricted" to one word is because I found out that there's some unexpected significance to that one word and wanted to discuss it. This is what's called keeping a thread on topic. Threads get locked when they go off topic you know.

Anyway, I have info to continue the subject I originally brought up. Basically the foundations of Renzokuken (the martial art) are timing/rhythm, and anticipation/coordination. The point is to use an opponent's anticipated reaction to set up an arranged series of techniques. Strike high and your opponent defends high opening up the middle and low lines, allowing you to do a torso strike, then continuing until you reach a finishing blow.

This is VERY closely mirrored by Squall's limit break. Renzokuken (the limit break) involves a string of sequential strikes, the effectiveness of which depends on your timing with the R1 button, ending in a finishing blow.

As a martial art, I think that Renzokuken has some good ideas and some bad ones. On the one hand it emphasizes using rhythm to throw off your opponent, as well as striking continuously. On the other hand, it assumes that people will all react the same way to the same thing, and that your string off attacks will be entirely successful. It does have some merit, but ultimately it will be just as crippling as it is effective in a real fight if used cannonically.

celtcknight
04-23-2004, 04:40 AM
Im not debating this, or playing king of the moutain. My purpose of saying that is other words may support the use of that one word. Restricting to one word thread kind of limits the discussion, and the answers you are looking for. Some speculation may be required and analysis of other word or command usage may help in your persuit here.

They really lock the thread for going off track?

I remember discussing renzokuken, along with the zantetsuken before. I had them translated and it was described to me as difficult to say in english. Attack after an attack. Maybe it repeated attack, or maybe with a little more emotion like a kamikaze type grace.

DJZen
04-23-2004, 05:48 AM
*brushes off Japanese -> English dictionary*

*ahem*

Renzoku: Continuous
Ken: Sword or fist
Tetsu: Iron

My dictionary contains no entry for "Zan", it could be one of those weird particle thingies.

eninen525
04-23-2004, 08:27 AM
doesnt Fujin use ZAN when u fight her at balamb ? she throws her circular blade thing at you or somin unless im remembering wrong

Big D
04-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Ah, I always wondered what 'Renzokuken' meant. Thank you:)

Zantetsuken, according to most sources, means "iron cutting sword", and those are the kanji that appear on-screen during Odin's summon animation. In FFVII, Odin's attack is given its translated name, "steel-bladed sword", but this was changed back for the subsequent two games. In the English FFVI, it was the interestingly named "atom edge".

Fujin, I believe, uses attacks called "Zan", "Metsu", and "Sai"; and FFX's Yojimbo possesses a Zantetsuken-esque blade called "Zanmato". "Zan" would appear to mean "iron" or "steel", since we've already been given the translations for "tetsu" and "ken".

tiffazPR0perty
05-27-2006, 03:52 AM
Raijen is "God of wind" Fujin is "god of lightening" i think

rubah
05-27-2006, 04:01 AM
hey um, wow this is old. k? k.