PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone noticed this?

AlyoshaK
04-20-2004, 01:57 AM
I was wondering if anyone here has noticed that final fantasy 7 is a divine comedy, wherein Sephiroth as the ego identity is defeated, which was hinted at by his raising his arms in foreshadowing of his later crucifixion. Cloud, as the Jesus dual nature identity was 'led to the cross' here by impregnating Tifa, who was Mary, in order to emerge victorious. This makes for a good story and I think the storywriters knew what they were talking about, for when Sephiroth was defeated hu-manity came to an end and only the animal man identity remained (Red XIII represents this).

DocFrance
04-20-2004, 02:12 AM
What the... Cloud impregnating Tifa? Where did that come into play?

Anyway, yes, FF7 does have a subtle religious theme to it. However, it's more of a caballistic (Jewish mythology and the Caballah) theme than a Christian one.

Still sort of confused over the Cloud and Tifa thing...

zacks_clone
04-20-2004, 04:09 AM
Im just confused. I know nothing of religonds...

save for what i picked up from this game.

The only religeous aspects i can see are the ones that pretty much speak for themselves. Jenova and Sephiroth,and the religond behind the names.

DJZen
04-20-2004, 04:27 AM
*cracks knuckles*

Cloud never died to save anyone. You could say that he almost died when he got sucked into the lifestream but that was only because he was bugging out about his true identity. Also yeah, Cloud didn't impregnate Tifa that we know of. Tifa starts trying to admit that she has feelings for Cloud at one point but nothing definite happens. Also, Sephiroth didn't get crucified, sorry. Him raising his arms doesn't allude to that any more than Cid holding his spear back so he can strike with it is an allusion to Zeus. Also, Tifa is far from a Mary type. Mary was born without original sin (or whatever, damn Augustine), whereas Tifa was kind of a mean brat to Cloud when they were younger. That's another huge flaw there, Tifa and Cloud grew up together. Yet another one is that clearly, humanity was not wiped out because they're releasing a sequel in the form of a movie that stars Cloud and Barret among others.

If anything, Aeris is the Jesus figure.

Stayin Dizzy
04-20-2004, 08:34 AM
agrred Aeris fits the religious theme. ultimate evil vs ultimate good. holy vs meteor, aeris had to die to be strong enough to cast holy, she died on an alter, was buried in water, the whole returning to the earth theme, and blah blah blah.

I hate to look at ff7 as a religious game because it grabs at quite a few of them, just like they dabble in a bit of all the mythologies and such

AlyoshaK
04-20-2004, 04:10 PM
I see it as an allegory, which means that it is a true description of metaphysical events. The impregnation of Mary must happen or else Cloud will never become the first beast of Rev.13 and will instead become the second beast which would make ff7 a failed divine comedy.

In the scene Ie mentions, Tifa serves as a matron to guide Cloud through purgatory, leading him to the cross of salvation where crucifixion will take place (Sephiroth is killed) and Cloud will live in the 'new heaven and earth' described in Rev.22 I believe.

Thanks for your reply

DJZen
04-22-2004, 05:41 AM

You haven't played this game, have you....

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-22-2004, 07:01 AM
I see it as an allegory, which means that it is a true description of metaphysical events. The impregnation of Mary must happen or else Cloud will never become the first beast of Rev.13 and will instead become the second beast which would make ff7 a failed divine comedy.

In the scene Ie mentions, Tifa serves as a matron to guide Cloud through purgatory, leading him to the cross of salvation where crucifixion will take place (Sephiroth is killed) and Cloud will live in the 'new heaven and earth' described in Rev.22 I believe.I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap jaw space, with the tuning fork, does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock. I need scissors! 61!

Sephex
04-22-2004, 07:52 AM
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap jaw space, with the tuning fork, does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock. I need scissors! 61!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!! I REMEMBER THAT!!

I don't really agree with the theory.

zacks_clone
04-22-2004, 07:30 PM
Honestly,people believe things to mean what they want them to mean. Even if this was not the game creators resoning or idea,people can and will believe things to be one way while the game creators true purpose was another. Theme people.

Anyways,I could probably fit the story about my life if i wanted,give or take afew things. I have seen afew good comparisons,but still am not convinced SS was building the game about that religond and what not.

DocFrance
04-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Wasn't it Tolkien who said something about his books to the effect of "the only allegory you'll find in my writings are those that you make yourselves?"

DJZen
04-23-2004, 05:07 AM
Something like that. This was when people were comparing the LotR trilogy to WWII, right? I like what Mark Twain said in the beginning of Huck Finn better.

Big D
04-23-2004, 01:07 PM
Wasn't it Tolkien who said something about his books to the effect of "the only allegory you'll find in my writings are those that you make yourselves?"'Applicability doesn't equal allegory' is basically what the man said... I used to have to remind Besimudo about this all the time, just because you see similarities to another work, doesn't mean they were intended or should be closely scrutinised.
You've got to beLIEve me!
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap jaw space, with the tuning fork, does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock. I need scissors! 61!Bugger! I just got 'Substance' a fortnight ago and I've been itching for a chance to use that quote ever since... damn. Beaten to it again.

Teh_Sephiroth
04-26-2004, 07:34 AM
Heathens!!!

Oh wait, I'm a heathen...

I think people are looking too deep into this story-line.
Certainly the theme of FF7 has some resembelance to The Bible, and why wouldn't SquareSoft do that? The Bible is described as the greatest story of all time.

If anything, Aeris is the Jesus figure.
That's something that I agree with.